The New Coast HP450 1400 Lumenns on 6xAA! It's a Coast Thread!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a $25 light lol. Of course they were vague about it! NiMH chemistry cells especially the likes of Eneloop have a far more stable actual power delivery to the light despite being down on voltage a bit vs alkalines and L91's. They said alkalines or lithium primary cells L91's to power the light "correctly". It does make sense of course in order to achieve advertised specs. I doubt the light is suddenly going to burst into flames with new Eneloops in it though.

It came with the cheapest POS knock off Duracell alkalines I have seen since the 1980's. Those went right into the trash. Good to know that the HP450 at least does not use PWM at max output.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Home depot has a version of this light for this year's black Friday they are calling the G450. This one has a tail switch and a twist focus making it shorter. Specs are the same and it uses the same 6 AA battery carrier as the HP450.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got another 450 to add to my Coast collection and really like their lights. They are one of the few manufacturers to make a focusing light correctly in my opinion. Like the rest of my Coasts, I immediately removed the 6 alkalines and put in NIMH batteries. I think the light is actually a bit brighter with them in it. One thing I wish they would do, but this may not be possible, is to make lights like this that would also accept D cells. I think somebody made a light a while back that took a AA battery carrier or D cells, but I may have dreamed it! lol :shrug:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Picked up a G450 yesterday at HD. I found it interesting that the tailcap doesn't have that protruding notch/lanyard thing. So this light will roll around all over the place; but no biggy, not a dealbreaker. And I was surprised that the alkalines inside were labeled as Coast cells. I wonder who made them for Coast. At any rate, I yanked them and refilled the carrier w/ some red Eneloops. So far so good. :)