The new little NiteCore: "EZAA" Part 2

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Little story that most of you will find humorous.

Wife called me at work today and said a package came for me. I was expecting the EZAA-W, so this was no surprise. When I got home I of course had to go straight for it and load it up with a cell and try it out. I shined it on the ceiling along with an L1T v2.0 (both on high).

With the cool white and neutral white beam next to each other on the ceiling, my wife immediately said "the one looks dim", pointing towards the EZAA-W. I could not stop from laughing that she immediately equated the warmer tint with a dim and dying incandescent, and the ice white of the L1T being brighter.

The EZAA-W was indeed brighter in reality however.

Only on CPF, my friend! :twothumbs

thedeske

Enlightened
I got my blue one yesterday. Color is nice and even. :thumbsup: The turn from low to high is a little bit more than 3/4 with no "breathing room" after high engagement.

Interesting - Mine has perhaps 8-10 deg of turn available after high. The low-high distance is still 1/2 turn from cycling it many times in the past week.

-o0(GoldTrader)0o-

Newly Enlightened
Re: Brightest battery R2

[FONT=&quot]Which type of battery will give the B[FONT=&quot]rightest [/FONT][FONT=&quot]spotlight, without considering the run life?[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my EZ AA R5 today and I'm sorry to say, it doesn't "wow" me in the least. Speaking only from experience with the one sample I received, the output on 14500 is only 75% that of my Preon R5 on 10440 or my D10 R2 on 14500 (measured with light meter and ceiling bounce test, all lights on li-ion power: EZAA R5 EV4.5, Preon I R5 EV5.0, D10 R2 EV 5.0).

Beyond that, the beam is just a little ringy - something I didn't expect from an XP-G light. UI is ok, ramps ok, blink at 50% and 100% is ok, size is ok, head twisting action is ok. But the light just bores the heck out of me. :shrug:

I must admit, I received this light just on the heels of receiving a Preon I with clicky tailcap and fresh AW 10440 cells, and really, the Preon I with a clicky tailcap so smokes the EZAA R5 in terms of owner excitement, attractiveness, interesting form factor, output levels, beam, UI, and sheer output, especially for such a small form factor and light weight, that there's no comparison at all.

Sorry to say, my EZAA R5 is going back to where it came from and I don't wish to have another. Even if the output was higher and the ringy beam wasn't ringy, it's still not a light I will use. :( When it comes to AA lights, it's tough to de-throne my D10 R2 lights. And, no, the D11 doesn't de-throne the D10 R2 either... for me anyway.

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't have any trouble with the ringyness and I assumed the lower output came with better efficiency.

I did however have an issue today that caused me some greif. The lens just cracked when I dropped it in my pocket with my phone. I am concerned about how hard this is going to be to get replaced since it doesn't appear to be the least bit user serviceable.

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
I didn't have any trouble with the ringyness and I assumed the lower output came with better efficiency.

I did however have an issue today that caused me some greif. The lens just cracked when I dropped it in my pocket with my phone. I am concerned about how hard this is going to be to get replaced since it doesn't appear to be the least bit user serviceable.

Wow... so much for the advertised, "Impact resistant optical-grade glass lens with anti-reflective coating."

Sorry to hear that happened AardvarkSagus. Dropping your light in a pocket with your phone doesn't seem like it would cause much of an impact. You think maybe it could have been slightly cracked already, before dropping it in your pocket?

I mean what if you really dropped it! :rolleyes:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone succeeded in getting his EZ AA to run on a 3-volt 14505 primary lithium cell? I own the Q3 Warm model, and my 14505 cell is too short, even when I move the foam donut to the bottom of the Nitecore's battery tube.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two. One of them works, but it shows a lot of brass with a NiMH. With a NiMH the low lights up after a few turns of threading the body onto the head. Maybe the negative nub in the bottom of the tube is longer.

Edit; If I put a thin round magnet on the bottom of the 14505, the other one works.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re-reading this thread in 2022 (13 years after the original part 1 thread was started). Did anyone else ever have the 3 mode low low glitch that one person had? Was there ever a runtime test on low low to see if it has a longer runtime?

Sorry...I still have three EZAA's (two cool white, one warm white); none of the three display a third mode. I have always been fond of these lights' form and function. I gifted an EZAA to a colleague in 2011...he carries it with him to this day. Finally, I didn't check my old EZ123 for this "feature." The 123 version never got much playtime, and as of this writing is in storage in the garage...it's not worth unpacking the light to test for a third mode.

It was a pleasant trip down memory lane though...:)

pc_light

Enlightened
My experience is the same as @DaveTheDude, the two (reflowed) EZAAw I have exhibit 2-modes only. FWIW mine draws ~250mA from a NiMh on Low.

The Low-High works by a mechanical/physical method by design, so a 3rd mode would be because the light is making a higher resistance connection path before the intended primary Low.

An oldie (13 yrs) and goldie (w/its hefty brass pill) for sure.