The new OSTS Nightmaster (in white, green, red, and soon infrared versions)

Fbygden

Newly Enlightened
I received my OSTS Nightmaster today. (Tested 194Kcd by Michael)
It's my first aspheric, so I don't have that much to compare it to.
But I have compared the throw to my Fenix TK75, the TK75 is good but the Nightmaster is clearly on another level.(As it should, 92Kcd compared to 194Kcd)
I aimed the lights at a bridge 700meters (765yards) away, with the TK75 I barely could see any light, but the Nightmaster lighted it up without problem.
I also really like the possibility to change focus, you can get a rather big hotspot and still decent throw.

I'm REALLY satisfied and impressed so far, thank you Michael:thumbsup:
If the OSTS Nightmaster is this impressive, I just can't imagine how my DEFT-X will feel when it arrives!!

I just might try some beamshots later on, if there are any interest.

/Fredrik

rednek

Newly Enlightened
just curious when you ordered from the OSTS website how long did it take to receive the light :shrug:

Fbygden

Newly Enlightened
I waited about 4 weeks for my Nightmaster (1 week delivery time from US included), I ordered immediately after it appeared on the OSTS site, it might take less time if you order one now.

just curious when you ordered from the OSTS website how long did it take to receive the light :shrug:

Last edited:

rednek

Newly Enlightened
I waited about 4 weeks for my Nightmaster (1 week delivery time from US included), I ordered immediately after it appeared on the OSTS site, it might take less time if you order one now.

I ordered one about two weeks ago. I was just curious as to when it would arrive.

I just can't wait to annoy my neighbors :naughty:

Luckily their all family.

star_c_star

Enlightened
My new OSTS Nightmaster arrived a few minutes ago. It is saabluster rated at 195 Kcd. Since I have a Dereelight 18650 battery extension, I have already run it with one 18650 battery, and then with two of them. It is noticably brighter when using two. Using 18650's is a no-brainer for me, since I have a few extra AW's. According to Michael, it runs around 150 Kcd with one 18650. Comparing it with my unmodified DereeLight Night Master, the projected LED image is much smaller, brighter, and warmer in color. I will wait until nightfall, and compare my OSTS TN31mb with the OSTS Nightmaster.

It seems as though focusing the OSTS Nightmaster produces alot more variability in the size of the projected hot spot, compared to the standard Dereelight, which is perhaps due to the much smaller LED size and the fact it is de-domed. The experts on CPF could weigh in on this phenomenon.

Still, as impressive as this is, this has only around 20% of the candlepower of the DEFT-X, which I ordered a while ago. That should really be something!

star_c_star

Enlightened
OK, I just tried my OSTS Nightmaster outdoors at night.

The most amazing thing is the narrowness of the beam.

It seems much narrower than the 1.4 degree "intense" part of the OSTS TN31mb.

Husker

Enlightened
OK, I just tried my OSTS Nightmaster outdoors at night.

The most amazing thing is the narrowness of the beam.

It seems much narrower than the 1.4 degree "intense" part of the OSTS TN31mb.

Please explain "1.4 degree" Beam, how is it measured and or calculated + is it an important feature of a flashlight?

star_c_star

Enlightened
I mean, "1.4 degrees of arc".

It has been mentioned in the thread about the OSTS DEFT-X that the beam occupies around 1.4 degrees of arc, and that the "hottest" part of the OSTS TN31mb occupies the same narrow cone.

The spot projected by the OSTS Nightmaster is smaller than the hot spot of the TN31mb. The OSTS Nightmaster beam is amazingly narrow when focused, and it has almost no flood component. It is an important feature of this flashlight if you want it to project a tiny spot a long ways off, with relatively little light outside of the spot.

Husker

Enlightened
I mean, "1.4 degrees of arc".

It has been mentioned in the thread about the OSTS DEFT-X that the beam occupies around 1.4 degrees of arc, and that the "hottest" part of the OSTS TN31mb occupies the same narrow cone.

The spot projected by the OSTS Nightmaster is smaller than the hot spot of the TN31mb. The OSTS Nightmaster beam is amazingly narrow when focused, and it has almost no flood component. It is an important feature of this flashlight if you want it to project a tiny spot a long ways off, with relatively little light outside of the spot.

I'm slow...Is there a 101 at this site that explains Degrees of Arc, maybe with pictures or graphs?

Freeze_XJ

Newly Enlightened
As far as I'm aware there is none here, but wiki will serve ;) The smaller the arc-degree number, the more focussed the hotspot of your light.

Husker

Enlightened
As far as I'm aware there is none here, but wiki will serve ;) The smaller the arc-degree number, the more focussed the hotspot of your light.

Thanks for the link.

Is there a chart here that shows arc-degree numbers designating, say a Flood is between _?_ & _?_, Throw is between _?_ & _?_?

Is a flashlight's ability to have smaller arc-degree a sign of quality?

Freeze_XJ

Newly Enlightened
There are no fixed values for it, but a beam of 180 degrees is the ultimate flood, and I'd say anything above 45 degrees roughly would be considered floody. However, a flashlight usually has a hotspot and spillbeam, so while the first can be pretty focussed, the latter usually is not. With the Nightmaster, and most other lens-lights (as opposed to reflector lights) the spillbeam is quite limited, so you will mainly have a hotspot, which in this case is quite focussed.
Cutting corners (for throwers you can get away with it) you can say that 1 arc-degree means a beam 2 meters wide at 100 meter distance, and 2 degrees would compare to 4 meters wide. ( sin(1) = 0.017, which is the ratio for width at a given distance, if you set your calculator to degrees ;) )
Quality is quite unrelated to this, although getting a very small arc without loosing a lot of efficiency/beam quality is tough.

Husker

Enlightened
There are no fixed values for it, but a beam of 180 degrees is the ultimate flood, and I'd say anything above 45 degrees roughly would be considered floody. However, a flashlight usually has a hotspot and spillbeam, so while the first can be pretty focussed, the latter usually is not. With the Nightmaster, and most other lens-lights (as opposed to reflector lights) the spillbeam is quite limited, so you will mainly have a hotspot, which in this case is quite focussed.
Cutting corners (for throwers you can get away with it) you can say that 1 arc-degree means a beam 2 meters wide at 100 meter distance, and 2 degrees would compare to 4 meters wide. ( sin(1) = 0.017, which is the ratio for width at a given distance, if you set your calculator to degrees ;) )
Quality is quite unrelated to this, although getting a very small arc without loosing a lot of efficiency/beam quality is tough.

Now I'm getting it-->:thanks:

stevo250

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done the comparison between the stock Dereelight Nightmaster and the OSTS modified Dereelight Nightmaster? I'm interested in getting one of these lights as my first aspheric, just not sure which one :D

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done the comparison between the stock Dereelight Nightmaster and the OSTS modified Dereelight Nightmaster? I'm interested in getting one of these lights as my first aspheric, just not sure which one :D

I've used the stock one for hunting, get the OSTS one, I can say that without having used the OSTS yet ;)

stevo250

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I think the OSTS Night master is the way I'll go. Any idea if there is a wait for getting them? Or if they are in stock

Sent from my SGH-I727R

rednek

Newly Enlightened
It's nice to know that the TN31mb orders are shipping how about the Nightmaster orders.
-------------

Invoice ID: 0000001282

Order Date: Wed, Feb 27, 2013 08:59:03