The new OSTS Nightmaster (in white, green, red, and soon infrared versions)

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a dedomed xml2 pill at4.5 amps from vinh for my night master and x searcher plus a dedomed exp2 3A. the xml2 is going to be insane !!! dri
Dave I see U have NMV2 and XSearcher so just unscrew head from XS and put head from NMV2 on that de domed XML...

Now that beam is right measure! De domed XML in NMV2 rather than in XS or even better... If someone has 3+A de domed XM-L2 would be just perfect... U will not need adjusting flood function with that configuration just point and click and you can go to deer hunting from 30-400 meters...

XM-L2 should have much cleaner beam projection, and it will throw further...

XS is to big for hunting purposes(depends if hand held or rifle mounted) but if you want rifle mounted XS you need non standard rifle mounts for it.

NMV2 is more practical flashlight than XS... You need 1 kilogram heavy and large reflector LED thrower to equal distance of small OSTS NMV2, and lets say Olight can be 250KCD on paper but you will see further in the night with 200KCD OSTS NMV2.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a dedomed xml2 pill at4.5 amps from vinh for my night master and x searcher plus a dedomed exp2 3A. the xml2 is going to be insane !!! dri

Without significant re-engineering of the light 4.5A is just ridiculous. Way too much. I'd rather build a good tool than a toy. I have had quite a few hunters buying these to mount on their guns. Running at such crazy levels would have lights burning up or batteries catching on fire. Hard to tell how hot a light is getting and keep that sort of thing in mind when it is mounted. ;)

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without significant re-engineering of the light 4.5A is just ridiculous. Way too much. I'd rather build a good tool than a toy. I have had quite a few hunters buying these to mount on their guns. Running at such crazy levels would have lights burning up or batteries catching on fire. Hard to tell how hot a light is getting and keep that sort of thing in mind when it is mounted. ;)
ya it is rediculous but im only going to use the light in 30 second bursts or less. No plan to mount it to any guns. I just got it for the wow factor lol.

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
You are not the only one that has begged for more on this light. I know a few people want him to make a dedicated page for it, but I don't think one exists yet. I would like to see a DEFT through the generations thread as well, just to compare each one to the others. It is amazing how far they have come in such a short period of time.

Yep we all want more info, particularly of the red one for me. Also some pics of how smoothly the beam looks with focus adjusted ie flood mode.
I think most hunters are after something in red, scope mountable in the 100-150 kcd range. Even if it's a bigger host.

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened

Saab can you significantly reengineer one for me so it can run at 4.5 amps in red and throw a wavien collar on it? Seriously. That's what we want and we would be happy to pay for it! More red throw please, don't worry about the deft-x's you'll sell more of these lol

Husker

Enlightened
Saab can you significantly reengineer one for me so it can run at 4.5 amps in red and throw a wavien collar on it? Seriously. That's what we want and we would be happy to pay for it! More red throw please, don't worry about the deft-x's you'll sell more of these lol

Hey-->We want his attention focused on the DEFT-X-->:naughty:

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Where did my post go?
Alex1234 have you received your pills from vin yet? If so how does that 4.5a XML2 go?

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
Saab,

Question for you, I may have asked this before by PM but I can't remember. Will you be offering modified drop ins? I suspect not.

Any word about a modified X searcher?

Thanks, hope all is going well!

Newly Enlightened
Hi Michael,

I would like to know when the Night Master (white led version) will be back in stock.

Or if I order one now when can I have it?

Thanks

Last edited:

nuknuk

Newly Enlightened
Hi all is it possible to swap the head on this light for the Xseacher and if so what effect would it have on the throw etc many thanks nuknuk.:wave:

langham

Enlightened
I have not been able to purchase just a Nightmaster light stock anybody know where I can get one? I would love to buy one from Saab, but he doesn't have time for that kind of thing with DEFT-X sales and all.

simeon

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a nightmaster on Dec. 2, and it shipped Dec. 12.

Still shows as instock.

Much to my neighbors annoyance, this torch throws a really long way. :)

I am curious if there is a remote activation tail cap that is clicky (on/off) vs. maintain pressure to keep it on.

Anyone use the remote activation tail cap for this light?

langham

Enlightened
Thank you for your reply. I looked it up just after posting this and found the new version for sale, but I don't want the new one. I just want something that I can gut and modify. I might be able to find someone willing to buy one and pay for me to mod it, but I am not sure. I have wanted to order one from OSTS, but I have not yet, and don't know if I will. Just don't need another dedicated thrower.

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
the hot spot is so tight that trying to shine it on a rabbit is extremely difficult the rabbit makes one hop and you need to scan all around the yard to try and find it again.
That's why even lux values alone aren't a good indicator of how the light will perform in the real world. IMO, the modded lights should have an indication of how the increased throw was obtained... by way of smaller LED (which means smaller hotspot), increases amperage, etc etc. Simply replacing an XPG with a well-driven XRE can increase throw considerably, but at the expense of usability (again, IMO).

A better measurement than lumens or even lux would be hotspot size/width at xx meters. I believe lumens & lux & hotspot size are all important indicators of true performance. Like anything in life, if you only focus on one measure of performance, everything else suffers.

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone successfully running two 18650s in their osts nightmaster? I just got mine in the mail, screwed in the extension tube and filled with 2x protected 18650s and the led blew. Just waiting on Saab to get back to me but in the meantime was curious if anyone else had any ideas?

langham

Enlightened
I saw that he didn't list how he got his performance on this light, but that may be due to the fact that he is often imitated, but never duplicated. Well not on the DEFT series anyway. I have only built one aspherical thrower and I used a SmallSun ZY-C10-S host simply replaced the led with a direct copper mounted XP-E2 with IC diamond thermal compound and drove it with a 8*7135 3.04A driver, (dedomed). This produced a laser basically that wasn't useful within 300yds or so.

I am not kidding that is how small the spot was. At 1000yds it was only around 20ft or so wide and yes it would get all the way out there. Like people have said these lights are not for everyone, and I am personally in the boat with the guy talking about the rabbit I would rather have a reflector based light, but I was able to sell that light to the absolute first person I showed it to in order to put it on his AR-15.

That host has a zoom to throw option as well so it was relatively useful although it got hot quick. If you are looking for a thrower with spill buy the FandyFire, or the TN-31MB. I would imagine that in these lights Saandblaster (bringing it back) used his normal methods and if he says it is bright then it is bright. At 204Kcd that is no slouch.