The new OSTS Nightmaster (in white, green, red, and soon infrared versions)

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its cool white... dedome made the spill around 4500k... hot spot still white/blueish as found in most aspherics

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see what saab could do with the xsearcher... I got 380 klux with a XPE2 de-domed on copper at 3 amps :)
That is the numbers I am getting with the Xsearcher as well.

I have that emitter in nightmaster V2 and it does 238KCD... And be sure that I am not lying here... There can be only more than that since my meter under reads lux.

I think that Saabluster can push OSTS NMV2 more than 300KCD with his technology... 400KCD would be fine :)
Although that number you are getting is slightly higher than my measurements it is about the same. I decided to take a small hit in measured throw and physically protect the LED with a piece of AR coated glass. I believe this is necessary with the design of the Nightmaster. It is possible to add the collars to the nightmaster but not with the ones I have currently. They are too large. Would have to get smaller ones manufactured. They have to be purchased in large amounts. Far more than I'd use in a reasonable amount of time. That and the royalties would add a lot of cost to the end product. Not impossible though.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Very clever protecting de domed led with AR coated glass... Dome is off so glass should protect it...

Not all NMV2 are same... And you know that...

Some has better while some has worse lenses... I measured with crystal clear lenses so yes probably with worse lenses it can go even below 200KCD but not much.

Saabluster some guys from other forum reporting great results with XRE EZ900(newer generation?) emitter telling it can handle 2-3,5A current without problem...

So is there place for improving old school XRE or it is just myth?

I don't have your OSTS Nightmaster but I think I have same thing with Vinh pill so I want to tell my opinion about XP-E2 in NMV2

Well it throws... Extreme throw for size and it has better flood beam and I really recommend it for throw fans... But it is really small... Same size as XPC that is to small for this flashlight...

XRE EZ900 is right measure for NMV2 aspheric flashlight... Only if it could be brighter than stock one throwing just 100kcd...

This current situation in aspheric world is killing me... I should be happy with 240KCD throw but I am not because old XRE has nicer beam than XP-E2...

Led emitters should be wider in future and bright as XP-E2...

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very clever protecting de domed led with AR coated glass... Dome is off so glass should protect it...

Not all NMV2 are same... And you know that...

Some has better while some has worse lenses... I measured with crystal clear lenses so yes probably with worse lenses it can go even below 200KCD but not much.

Saabluster some guys from other forum reporting great results with XRE EZ900(newer generation?) emitter telling it can handle 2-3,5A current without problem...

So is there place for improving old school XRE or it is just myth?

I don't have your OSTS Nightmaster but I think I have same thing with Vinh pill so I want to tell my opinion about XP-E2 in NMV2

Well it throws... Extreme throw for size and it has better flood beam and I really recommend it for throw fans... But it is really small... Same size as XPC that is to small for this flashlight...

XRE EZ900 is right measure for NMV2 aspheric flashlight... Only if it could be brighter than stock one throwing just 100kcd...

This current situation in aspheric world is killing me... I should be happy with 240KCD throw but I am not because old XRE has nicer beam than XP-E2...

Led emitters should be wider in future and bright as XP-E2...

Granted I have not been working with the old school XRE in quite some time I have a really hard time believing anyone is driving them at 3.5A and getting anything more than they would at 2.1A.

Why do you like the XRE beam better than the XPE2? I like the XPE much better myself. Far better current spreading which means the peak number is actually true for a larger part of the beam verses the old XRE's hotspot around the bond wires.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is to announce an improvement to the RED version of the modified Nightmaster I am selling. The stock red NM does 26.4Kcd. The modified version I have been selling was rated at 29.5 which was a 12% improvement over stock. All lights from this point on are an improved version putting out about 52Kcd which is a 97% increase over stock.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Why do you like the XRE beam better than the XPE2? I like the XPE much better myself. Far better current spreading which means the peak number is actually true for a larger part of the beam verses the old XRE's hotspot around the bond wires.

It is small when in best focus...Much smaller than XRE, you actually need to adjust flood mode all the time during hunt(and it is not so easy focusing while rifle/scope mounted) while with XRE I did not have need for that. It was always in best focus position and beam was getting wider so on 100 meters U have 3,5×3,5 square while with XP-E2 i am not sure if it is 2×2meter square(probably less)...

XRE has cooler white tint while mine is yellowish(probably because of de doming)... In fields you do not notice bond wires.

I want to say that it is not so hunter friendly any more...

No problem for regular guys - throw fans

I will try how XP-E2 works in smaller aspheric.

langham

Enlightened
I would love to see what saab could do with the xsearcher... I got 380 klux with a XPE2 de-domed on copper at 3 amps :)

Did you do the de-dome yourself on this one? It looks like you nicked the led a bit on the edges, either that or you didn't heat up the dome to the correct temperature prior to removal. I have fits with this sometimes myself, it is better to let it heat up gradually and even out the temperature across the whole dome/heatsink. Don't get it too hot though because it will then come off in numerous pieces and be annoying. Whenever it is too cold the top layer will come off with the dome. I do not use any of my de-domed leds in an aspherical application, but I always use an aspherical lens to test the led after I am through with the de-dome to tell if the surface of the led has been damaged. The projected image will have blue areas where some of the surface has been damaged. Of course from the looks of this picture you might know that and have taken the led out of perfect focus to hide the imperfection. Not judging the process is tough.

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
Did you do the de-dome yourself on this one? It looks like you nicked the led a bit on the edges, either that or you didn't heat up the dome to the correct temperature prior to removal. I have fits with this sometimes myself, it is better to let it heat up gradually and even out the temperature across the whole dome/heatsink. Don't get it too hot though because it will then come off in numerous pieces and be annoying. Whenever it is too cold the top layer will come off with the dome. I do not use any of my de-domed leds in an aspherical application, but I always use an aspherical lens to test the led after I am through with the de-dome to tell if the surface of the led has been damaged. The projected image will have blue areas where some of the surface has been damaged. Of course from the looks of this picture you might know that and have taken the led out of perfect focus to hide the imperfection. Not judging the process is tough.

I will let him answer about who did the mod and whether or not he nicked the LED or not, but a good way to de-dome is to soak the star in gasoline until the dome literally falls off. Then you have absolutely no remnants of the dome and it is perfect every time. I tried the slicing method, the raising off the heatsink, heating up and using your fingernail to peel method, and the soaking in gasoline is by far the best and easiest. Just a heads up for your next de-dome :thumbsup:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh did the dedome... the beam looks fine as does the led... what you are seeing is probably more ofmy crappy camera trying to figure out what to do in the dark

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I will let him answer about who did the mod and whether or not he nicked the LED or not, but a good way to de-dome is to soak the star in gasoline until the dome literally falls off. Then you have absolutely no remnants of the dome and it is perfect every time. I tried the slicing method, the raising off the heatsink, heating up and using your fingernail to peel method, and the soaking in gasoline is by far the best and easiest. Just a heads up for your next de-dome :thumbsup:

On other forums people are reporting 100% successful method of de doming with gasoline. I know after I ruined few XRE with razor and heating I am not doing it any more even with gasoline method so I pay professionals.

But I think you guys should work on how to protect de domed emitter. Or even to put something on it that can protect it and improve throw.

Saabluster idea of putting AR lense on led sounds great for start.

Edit:
I got "only" 338 KCD for Xsearcher... And I think this are real results very accurately measured from my meter to flashlight:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ON!-Nightmaster-V2-host&p=4197888#post4197888

Last edited:

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
This is to announce an improvement to the RED version of the modified Nightmaster I am selling. The stock red NM does 26.4Kcd. The modified version I have been selling was rated at 29.5 which was a 12% improvement over stock. All lights from this point on are an improved version putting out about 52Kcd which is a 97% increase over stock.

Sounds good!! Does the red version use an xp-e2 as well? Tatjanamagic makes a good point about hunting with the xp-e2. The ez900 is the bomb as far as beam size goes, It's perfect.

Guys that have the osts nightmaster already, when you adjust it to flood slightly does the spot stay pretty solid or is it all over place (ie blurry and dark and bright sections)? If not, then the ep-e2 should be fine right??

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
XP-E2 si same size emitter as EZ900 but when de domed it is much smaller than dome EZ900 in NMV2...

I think that regular XP-E2 would be better than de-domed one... It would probably have lager beam in NMV2 aspheric...

And XP-E2 is much better emitter than XRE... As Saabluster said "Far better current spreading which means the peak number is actually true for a larger part of the beam verses the old XRE's hotspot around the bond wires".

I have question for Saabluster would regular XP-E2 emitter still throw about 150 kcd with larger beam in NMV2 aspheric?

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Ah I see, I just dedomed my nightmaster and the ez900 becomes a lot smaller beam when dedomed too. Probably a stupid quedtion but what about an ez1000 dedomed?

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
There are no stupid questions... There are just stupid answers...

It will be larger but not much... 1mm die instead of 0,9mm

If you want bigger emitter with same throw as with stock xre use De domed XML in NMV2

Stock deerelight XML de domed emitter throws about 105KCD in NightmasterV2 and 150KCD in Xsearcher(tried gasoline de doming with so so results), Beam is better and wider than old XRE EZ900 with same throw!

Tuned(just bit tuned not much) XM-L2 would surely throw about 150KCD(maybe even more?) in Nightmaster V2...But nut sure if I want to spend another 50$ on XM-L2... So guys please try and report!

I have been thinking a lot about XM-L2 in NMV2 aspheric, and I am sure that this would be best hunting combination for NMV2 aspheric.

That would be bingo for sure because XM-L2 is much better than old XML so it will project much cleaner and better beam, and it is much larger than small XP-E2 or de domed XRE...

Dave can you measure lux readings for your de domed xre? It will be around 150KCD for sure...

So dear hunters I suggest nightmaster(1,2 or old DBS) aspheric owners to try de domed XML or if you can order de domed XM-L2 driven at least at 2,5-3A...

I guarantee(100%) that you will be very happy with results. It will throw less than tuned XP-E2 but that does not matter because it will still throw better with much wider beam than stock XRE EZ900 and that is perfect for night hunting.

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
^ tatjanamagic this info is gold.

I haven't got a lux meter so I can't comment on my dedomed xre but from the little experience I have I would've guessed about 150kcd.
I've also tried dedomed xm-l in x-searcher and yep it was probably the best combination I've come up with.

Could a dedomed, tuned xm-l2 in a dereelight x-searcher be the ideal scope mounted hunting light? I think the beam size would end up being about the same as a stock nightmaster which I think is perfect but with a lot more throw.

However if the flood function on the osts works smoothly then the ideal light has already been made... My nmv1 is rough as when you adjust the flood (unusable) but I hear nmv2 is a lot better.. We just need some comparison beams shots between stock and osts nightmaster, some pics with it set on flood and possibly some pics of red/green versions??
Maybe Saabluster could put all the discussion to rest?

Sorry about the rant lol

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Dave I see U have NMV2 and XSearcher so just unscrew head from XS and put head from NMV2 on that de domed XML...

Now that beam is right measure! De domed XML in NMV2 rather than in XS or even better... If someone has 3+A de domed XM-L2 would be just perfect... U will not need adjusting flood function with that configuration just point and click and you can go to deer hunting from 30-400 meters...

XM-L2 should have much cleaner beam projection, and it will throw further...

XS is to big for hunting purposes(depends if hand held or rifle mounted) but if you want rifle mounted XS you need non standard rifle mounts for it.

NMV2 is more practical flashlight than XS... You need 1 kilogram heavy and large reflector LED thrower to equal distance of small OSTS NMV2, and lets say Olight can be 250KCD on paper but you will see further in the night with 200KCD OSTS NMV2.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
All this time and still no decent beamshots on the website or in this thread. Sad. Thanks to those of you who tried your best on the pics. I would love to replace my hunting light with one of these, but without more details I'm not dropping $200. What's the beam angle? How wide will the hotspot be at 200 yards? How much spill hits the ground? One evening at the driving range could answer all of these questions.

D7K_0583.jpg

langham

Enlightened
The Night Master is putting out 204,000cd while this deft edc-lr was supposed to put out about 60,000cd lets just say it will put out light a good bit further.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
The Night Master is putting out 204,000cd while this deft edc-lr was supposed to put out about 60,000cd lets just say it will put out light a good bit further.

Ya I'd like just a liiiitle but more to go on than that.

langham

Enlightened
You are not the only one that has begged for more on this light. I know a few people want him to make a dedicated page for it, but I don't think one exists yet. I would like to see a DEFT through the generations thread as well, just to compare each one to the others. It is amazing how far they have come in such a short period of time.