The poor flashaholics top 10 for 2010?

Ecolang

Newly Enlightened
I love my Tank007 TK-703!!! I dont have enough lights to participate in this thread but i am glad that I have one that is mentioned here.

Does anyone think the Romisen RC-N3 still makes this list? Or the Romisen RC-G2?

Personally, I want to like the RC-G2 but have given away with no regrets both of the ones I've bought. For me it is too big (though I have bigger) and too narrow a beam for what I want.

For the same reason that it throws, I find it kinda dim - there is too much, for me, of its beam in the hotspot. But like I said, I want to like it and understand why people do.

Another one like that is the single mode Uniquefire S10 once I'd ground the silly teeth off the bezel. It's actually a good light, but I just don't care for it much.

Ian2381

Enlightened
7 out of 10 I have, I will add the RC-29 to my next order but not sure the Trustfire and Tank are the same level as the rest?
Are they?

Would the Black Cat not be better value in this format?

The Trustfire EF 23 is the best looker and the Tank is my best lending falshlight and has never failed and has gone through a lot of beating. The RC-29 is a great Flood to throw single AA and I have both neutral and cool white.:twothumbs

lol666

Newly Enlightened
Romisen RC-B12. It's very bright and have a great throw :) I also like the pressure switch and finnish. Good light for the money :) I have a review of it up. :)

moviles

Enlightened
the c78 must be here
firedevil.gif

1yrtl.jpg
5k2104.jpg

12000-14000 lux@1m with 14500
review:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forolinternas.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D5%26t%3D48&langpair=es|en-CN&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite though is the Nextorch K1,sort of up market version of the EO1,brighter,lighter,smaller and a far nicer beam.

NextorchK1.jpg

Nextorch! My first decent light was a Nextorch (after M@glites), you don't seem to hear much about them.

I can't think of a top 10, but mine would include Solarforce L2; Romisen RC-N3; Ultrafire C3 SS and... yes the Fenix E01 is cheap enough to include.

light on

Newly Enlightened
The C78 looks like a expensive light, how much and where do you buy one? The review link did not work.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
[...]* iTP A6 6xAA. 80 bucks for a 700 lumen light that is fantastic for father's day, etc. High flood, traditional switch, semi-traditional batteries (eneloops preferred).

I'm surprised to see the iTP brand cropping up here repeatedly on these listings. I can understand that the iTP brand is certainly an economical choice, but its quality assurance (and/or manufacturing standards) apparently leave a lot to be desired.

And I do understand that you basically gets-what-you-pays-for in the flashlight industry, but at $99 delivered, I wouldn't call the Polestar A6 a "poor man's" choice. To me, a $49 flashlight might qualify, but nearly a C note? I don't think so.

My A6 lasted 10 days before I returned it under warranty with rapidly-deteriorating (and user-unrepairable) switching issues. As it was my very first LED flashlight, you can undestand that I'm somewhat annoyed with my choice of an iTP product, as you'll probably recall I did a lot of research about cost v. performance v. quality before I finally decided on the A6.

When I get my replacement A6 back, I'll probably consider keeping it on the shelf as a backup light, and buying something (but NOT iTP!) in the effective ~230 lumen OTF range, but at a higher dollar price range.

So I'm watching this thread with some interest.

—Jack. :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm surprised to see the iTP brand cropping up here repeatedly on these listings. I can understand that the iTP brand is certainly an economical choice, but its quality assurance (and/or manufacturing standards) apparently leave a lot to be desired.

And I do understand that you basically gets-what-you-pays-for in the flashlight industry, but at $99 delivered, I wouldn't call the Polestar A6 a "poor man's" choice. To me, a $49 flashlight might qualify, but nearly a C note? I don't think so.

My A6 lasted 10 days before I returned it under warranty with rapidly-deteriorating (and user-unrepairable) switching issues. As it was my very first LED flashlight, you can undestand that I'm somewhat annoyed with my choice of an iTP product, as you'll probably recall I did a lot of research about cost v. performance v. quality before I finally decided on the A6.

When I get my replacement A6 back, I'll probably consider keeping it on the shelf as a backup light, and buying something (but NOT iTP!) in the effective ~230 lumen OTF range, but at a higher dollar price range.

So I'm watching this thread with some interest.

—Jack. :)

This sub forum is basically the "cheap light" forum. If its cheap it gets recommended (often times) even if its junk. Quality and durability are generally not the highest priority here.

That being said, I think you should re-think your stance in the case of the ITP A series lights (twisty bezels). My A3 has been bomb proof. I ran it through the wash cycle 1-2 times and have dropped it several times as a keychain light.

Just make sure you get it from a reputable seller with a history of good CS.

I am skeptical of electronic switches (like your polestar). I have had enough of them fail, for me not to want them any more. Its not so much that they fail more often than traditional lswitches... Its more that they (many times, depending on the design) can not be easily replaced if they do fail. I am keeping my fingers crossed with my MC10, maybe this light will change my opinion.

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I have to stick up for ITP lights. I've had zero problems with all my lights made by ITP, and consider them both reliable AND good value for money.

I have the following:

three ITP A3 EOS upgrade alu (AAA)
one ITP A2 EOS alu (AA)
one ITP A1 EOS alu (123)

I also have an Illumina Ti (AAA) and also two Maratac SS (AAA), all of which seem to be made by ITP.

I have also read speculation that ITP make the 4sevens Qmini lights too - certainly the heads of my ITP A1 and my Qmini 123 interchange quite nicely.

Any manufacturer can have problems with one example, which is why it is important to get opinions from a large number of owners before concluding whether a particular manufacturer makes unreliable lights or not. I think the ratio of satisfied/unsatisfied customers shows that ITP lights are generally pretty good.

Of course the owner of a faulty light has a right to be unhappy, and it is then that you find out what quality of customer service is offered by the seller.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty, I have heard quite a lot of bad press about the iTP A6. However, they more than make up for this imo with the outstanding quality and value for money offered in their A1/2/3 series, which are quite simply incredible quality for the price, so I really wouldn't rule out iTP just due to that light being faulty.

If you read into it more you find that it is more often that type of light which can cause problems, not simply the iTP brand. Even the TK40 has similar switching problems on some samples, and quite simply, having researched it at length myself I realised that a light as complicated and high output as the A6 was one that it just didnt make sense to take a budget option on, as the design itself was prone to inconsistencies in quality and durability.

On the other side of the coin, the A series iTP lights, being simpler, do exactly what they are meant to and more. It is from these tiny pocket lights that I think you will really find the true utility and performance offered by modern led technology showed off the most clearly. :thumbsup:

If you want a higher output light, then I would look for a good nailbender xp-g drop-in and a Solarforce l2 host, these seem to me to give the best quality and performance for cost in a slightly higher output range.

Or, if you want a AA light there are also many AA options available at a reasonable price range, such as the Fenix, Eagletac and Quark AA models out right now, which I would suggest you give a serious look. With led lights, it's much less about total power given out, and much more about the incredible output to size ratio offered by the electrical efficiency of the technology..

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
It sounds from these comments as though iTP have found their forté with the budget-priced EOS series — which get consistently good reviews — but have lost their way with the A6 (for some unknown reason).

—Jack. :confused:

joe1512

Enlightened

Well, any light can develop problems. Quality Control just makes sure it works before shipping. Latent problems can mess up the switch and there you are.

Not sure where you got yours, but at goinggear.com, one can get a polestar for the standard price of 79.99. With their free shipping and 10% discount that is 72 dollars shipped.
That is not cheap, but for a 600 lumen light, it is difficult to find any competition. Remember, we are talking about budget lights, relative to their weight class, so to speak.
The only competition would be the MG RX-1 which you can't even find for sale (or MG PLI). Or DealExtreme lights like hte Trustfire TR1200, but DX lights are kind of dubious with no customer support.
Other lights in that class like TK40, Catapult, etc are WAY more expensive.

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
ITP A3 is great little light. The C8 is also a good little light. The A6 and my MG RX-1 are two different lights. Checking my house and yard the A6, but the field out front the RX-1. The dereelight javelin is a p60 host for less than $30. The RC-N3 II is not my favorite. I also have a RC-6 II NW which hasn't found my favor. I can no longer find the RX-1 anywhere. It is a solid light. 0 problems with the A6. I haven't kept any of the romisens for myself, but haven't given away any ITP lights. The MG is also a keeper. ITP is my budget brand.

KnOeFz

Enlightened
Here's my votes:

Ultrafire C3 SS is my choice for AA batteries
Aurora SH-034 is my choice for 16340 batteries
Aurora SH-033 is my choice for CR2
Aurora SH-032 is my choice for 18650 batteries
Fighter Stainless is my choice for AAA batteries

(yes, I like stainless steel)

ZW99GT

Newly Enlightened
I just had to add in a big thanks for all the info in this thread. I basically researched every light mentioned and picked out 3 to order! My first 3 "real" flashlights!

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
I just had to add in a big thanks for all the info in this thread. I basically researched every light mentioned and picked out 3 to order! My first 3 "real" flashlights!

Don't leave us hanging! Tell us which 3 you ordered.:popcorn:

ZW99GT

Newly Enlightened
Don't leave us hanging! Tell us which 3 you ordered.:popcorn:
:oops:

After some battery/charger discussions I have been talked out of the Akoray K-106 (5-mode non programmable, as the 3 mode doesn't exist from DX) I had planned on and had it switched to the Uniquefire L2 XPG

So my first real (but beginner) lights order looks like

Trustfire TR-1200
Trustfire TR-801
Uniquefire L2 XPG
6*18650 Black and Red "True 2400" batts
TR-001 Dual charger
(2) 2 18650 batt cases

I'm looking over this thread again to see if there's any other EDC (which I have inferred as "Every Day Carry" I hope!) lights that I might try out. As a $20-40 price range I will be glad to try anything anyone recommends to see WHAT I like! I will be "sharing' what I don't like with my brother.

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
The following essentials:
*RC-2R4 R5
*ITP A2
*Romisen RC-N3 R4
*4Sevens Preon I
*Duracell Daylite 2C cell
*SolarForce L2/SpiderFire X03 (basically the same flashlight
And that just about covers it.
The following "nice to haves"
* Photon