• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Q8 / Q6 A quality SRK style special flashlight

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I've been keeping up with this for a while now on BLF, it looks like an awesome light!
I'm in for one at $40 to add to my growing BLF light collection. :D

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
Yes, update time:

Working on the quad LED dual footprint copper DTP LEDboard now:

There are pads for thermisistors (for accurate thermal measurements) If it it not getting worked into Narsil now it still futureproofs the LEDboard
XML and XPL footprint, rotate 45 degrees for LEDs of another footprint. Does not add costs and greatly improves the mod friendlyness.

Driver:

Here goes new info on the version 5 of the driver we aim for.
Now isn't this a thing of beauty?
After a lot of busy PMs Pilotdog68 has created V5 of the driverboard.
Special thanks to DEL for the help and scoping!
Reason for changing:

Version 5.1 board:

(board can be ordered from Oshpark and with the partslist below one could make a very nice driver for this type of light already.
(link is external)

list of the parts to make the driver
V5.1 Parts

MCU: Atmel ATTINY85V-10SH or ATTINY85-20SU (package is important: 8S2)
FET: Manu: Vishay Siliconix, PN: SIR800DP-T1-GE3, Digikey PN: SIR800DP-T1-GE3CT-ND), PPAK SO-8
7135: a 350 mA 7135 amp regulator used for low modes (not 380 mA)
R1: 220k, 1% or better, 0805
R2: 47k, 1% or better, 0805
R3: 100k, 5% or better, 0805
R4: 47 ohm, 5% or better, 0805
R5: not populated, for an SMD indicator LED, if used
R6: 4.7 ohm, 5% or better, 0805
D1: Schottky diode, to suit pads, ex: 10v 570 kA SOD323 (Manu PN: ZLLS410TA, Digi-Key PN: ZLLS410CT-ND)
C1: 10 uF, 20% or better, X5R or better, 0805
C2: 0.1 uF, 20% or better, X7R, 0805

Housing:

We cannot show the battery tube and tail since that is Thorfire design.
Cross section

At last, the outside of the head is almost good. Check the minor problem with the button not being integrated looking from the side.
531kqr.jpg

Some details showing a driver retainer ring, the LEDboard.
27zdget.jpg

NOTE: the outer edges on for example the fins (left) now nice and smoothly rounded.

Yesterday the head of engineering department was very responsive.
They are going to correct the button.
Also the bezel was corrected closer to the result of the poll (though we will ask for a flatter one)

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gad to find that this is also on CPF and not just BLF! I can now follow along a lot easier here than on BLF, too many people posting on BLF for me to stay updated. Really looking forward to this kight.

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
SG Hall, thanks, will update OP right after posting this.

Tac Gunner, yes sometimes the posts are coming so fast and different subjects are talked about.
it can be hard to keep up ;)

Offgridled, thanks for the question, now I could show the LEDboard design!

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update of this fascinating project The Miller. Hat tip to the team for the progress so far. Please add me to the list! :D
Nice detail for you...combining BLF and CPF list makes you number 550
(it does not mean anything, but it is a nice number ;))

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, the LEDs are tricky
So in the end the choice became 1 option the XPL V6 3D
A LED fitting with this light.
Other LEDs need to be reflowed by users.
A major part of the Q8 is making it worthy of modding and hence our design of the current Copper DTP Ledboard that allows LEDs with the XPL footprint (so XPL XPL HI Nichia) and XML footprint (so the XML2 and XHP50)
Please let me know if you still want (another) one knowing Nichias is a modding project.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, the LEDs are tricky
So in the end the choice became 1 option the XPL V6 3D
A LED fitting with this light.
Other LEDs need to be reflowed by users.
A major part of the Q8 is making it worthy of modding and hence our design of the current Copper DTP Ledboard that allows LEDs with the XPL footprint (so XPL XPL HI Nichia) and XML footprint (so the XML2 and XHP50)
Please let me know if you still want (another) one knowing Nichias is a modding project.

Thats smart and makes perfect sense!

Wendee

Enlightened
Please add me to the interest list. :)

This light sounds great! I really like the fact that it will accept the long protected 18650 batteries, like Keeppower and Orbtronic. I especially like that they're in parallel and not in series. This will be my first multi-cell flashlight. :thumbsup:

I'm not a member on BLF but I did read a thread about this light on there. I can't figure out if people are still deciding how to make the standard stock light or if the light is ready to produce and they're talking about modifications they want to make (I don't understand the technical stuff they're talking about).

Is there an estimated date when the standard stock version will be ready for purchase or are the specs and build still being decided?