• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Q8 / Q6 A quality SRK style special flashlight

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
Yes list updated.

Wendee, we are in the process of designing and getting the designs into the computers of Thorfires

Today our prototype V5 driver was flashed with the latest firmware and express shipped to Thorfire so they can check it out and build a first sample around it.
So things are starting to materialize but t s going slowly and the communication is hard.

Luckily the Q8 has turned into a prect where all people who know anything about aspects are chiming in.
So even though officially the Q-team (I had to name it ;) ) is just 6 people a multitude of that has helped out.
And in the BLF thread (same goes for CPF btw) all are more then welcome to comment, ask and give input.
All is taken seriously and if it seems logical and good we try to work it in.
(for example, a graphic designer chimed in, and via PM and later email we are now finalising a manual/overview card for how the firmware works and can be configured, and very cool can be folded in such a way it fits under the tailcap so all could have it at hand when they have the Q8in their hands)

This makes that things can go fast and divert sometimes.
I read the Q8 topic first thing when waking up (then react later when good awake ;) ) and check it before going to sleep and during the day and then it is possible to keep up and have an overview of all that is happening.
Surely reading it all is not doable now. But I try to keep an overview in the OPs.

Now there was the input of a driver change, not the actual parts used but empty pads for more 7135/7138 chips.
Since we tweaked the driverboard (just the pcb) from sketches V1 prototypes, V2 and V3 prototypes that got scoped and changed for now it is decided V5 is it IF no other vital changes must be made.
So decided while knowing that tests and input from Thorfire are mang a V6 needed there will be pads for more 7135/7138 chips added.
So as long as something is not poured into a sample and OKed it is kind of fluent and not set in stone.
This may be a bit more complicated then just deciding (like we had to do with LEDs)but leaves space for improvements.

When? Tricky, somebody said, "before Christmas, it is just not sure which Christmas ;)" and I always say: "It is done when it is done, I rather have it take longer with a good result then not having a good result."
But of course i want it NOW, no yesterday :D, but I can be patient for a good result is more important then a fast result.

Smegheaaad

Newly Enlightened
This is a fascinating process to watch. It looks like there's been some pretty solid design decisions made.

One question; I see from page 1's changelog that there was a lanyard planned that has since been deleted. I've got no problem with that whatsoever at this sort of price. Was the eyelet that was planned for Thorfire's tailcap/whatever to take the lanyard retained? I'd hope so.

Anyway, I'd rather have a floody over a thrower any day of the week, and I've been debating getting my feet wet with the coke-can form factor (I've been trying to justify buying a TN30, or even a TN36). This seems like a really good opportunity.

At $40 I'm up for one; please add me to the list.

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
The dropping of the lanyard is the actual lanyard not being in the box.
We figured most will have lots of those so we better have all focus on the light and not the box content ;)
We think and from what we know now, the Q8 will have the space to attach a lanyard at the tail.
Ah I probably may not link to AliExpress but in the BLF topic somebody mentioned a "Screw For DSLR SLR Camera Strap Tripod" thing and I ordered one on AliEpress for just $0.94
With this and a larger strap one could carry the Q8 on the side, handsfree (as the thorfire S70 and after using the tube of the Convoy L6 with the ring headside also with the L6, very useful

Wendee

Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed reply, The Miller. :)

I can't wait for it to be ready. It sounds awesome. Like you said though, better to take longer to ensure good results. I'll just be patient. It's nice to be in on a light before it's even built. Interesting and exciting stuff! :popcorn:

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!
And yes i fully agree seeing it all being designed is a blast!
So many people giving input, all details discussed. fantastic.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the detailed reply, The Miller. :)

I can't wait for it to be ready. It sounds awesome. Like you said though, better to take longer to ensure good results. I'll just be patient. It's nice to be in on a light before it's even built. Interesting and exciting stuff! :popcorn:

+1 Wendee said it all. Waiting with a smile! Great work "The Miller" :)

Smegheaaad

Newly Enlightened
One other question that I thought of: what's the max. current draw expected to be at full output?

The reason I ask is that it would be nice to know what the limitations are in terms of batteries; I'd likely always use it with all 4 cells populated, but since it runs them all in parallel and supports being driven from a single cell, that one cell is going to have to work pretty hard at full output.

Taking a guess, an XP-L is quoted at something like 200Lm/W, so assuming linear scaling, 4000 Lumens is therefore going to somewhere worse than 20W, or about 5.6A at a nominal 3.6V. The actual draw will be worse, as 200Lm/W is likely at the emitter's most efficient operating point, which will be far below its maximum output. I'm assuming the actual draw would be a good bit north of 6 Amps.

While that'll be easy for a full set of cells in parallel, there are plenty of 18650's out there that can't keep up with that on their own.

KingSmono

Enlightened
Can I add my name to the list here? I am not a member of BLF. I have not been on CPF in a while, but recently came back and just found out about this really cool project.

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
Yes of course KingSmono!

Smeagheaaad, here are the results from a test n a modded SRK that uses the Q8 prototype driver, has good coling and 4 LEDs
Using 30Q's at 4.18v in 4X SRK proto:
4 cells: 14.3A
2 cells: 12.6A
1 cell: 10.5A
4 cells: 14.3A (repeated to confirm results)

Smegheaaad

Newly Enlightened
Cool stuff! Thanks for the preliminary current numbers, confirming what I'd expected; a single cell is going to have to work pretty hard by itself, whereas multiples will have an easier time. Interesting results on the higher current with cells in parallel, but I guess that shouldn't be a surprise, with their internal resistances also being in parallel and all...

Wendee

Enlightened
I'm don't know very much about batteries etc.
Can you please tell me if I can use my Orbtronic protected 18650 batteries in this light?
Will the protection circuit trip? Are these batteries powerful enough? :thinking: I hope so because I'd love to buy this flashlight. :grin2:

Protected 3400mAh Li-ion
•Cell model: Panasonic NCR18650B
•Capacity (Ah): 3.4 Ah (3400mAh)
•Energy (Wh): 12.2 Wh
•Energy Density (Wh/L): 730 Wh/L
•Nominal Voltage (V): 3.6V - 3.7V
•Charging Voltage (V): 4.2 V
•Weight (g): 46 g /1.62 oz
Diameter (mm): 18.6 mm (+/- 0.03)
Height (mm): 68.9 mm(+/- 0.03)
Max. Discharge rate: 2C (6.8A)
Pulse current (5-6 sec.): 10A
•Chemical Composition: Li-ion (Lithium-Ion) Hybrid
•Protection ICs: Made in Japan (Design by Seiko)
Button Top: Yes
•External |welded PCB | Protection: Yes

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm don't know very much about batteries etc.
Can you please tell me if I can use my Orbtronic protected 18650 batteries in this light?
Will the protection circuit trip? Are these batteries powerful enough? :thinking: I hope so because I'd love to buy this flashlight. :grin2:

Protected 3400mAh Li-ion
•Cell model: Panasonic NCR18650B
•Capacity (Ah): 3.4 Ah (3400mAh)
•Energy (Wh): 12.2 Wh
•Energy Density (Wh/L): 730 Wh/L
•Nominal Voltage (V): 3.6V - 3.7V
•Charging Voltage (V): 4.2 V
•Weight (g): 46 g /1.62 oz
Diameter (mm): 18.6 mm (+/- 0.03)
Height (mm): 68.9 mm(+/- 0.03)
Max. Discharge rate: 2C (6.8A)
Pulse current (5-6 sec.): 10A
•Chemical Composition: Li-ion (Lithium-Ion) Hybrid
•Protection ICs: Made in Japan (Design by Seiko)
Button Top: Yes
•External |welded PCB | Protection: Yes
Wendee if those batteries don't work? buying this light is a must and correct batteries to follow is the easy part. I'm curious also to see what battery is recommended thanks for asking the question:)

Wendee

Enlightened
Wendee if those batteries don't work? buying this light is a must and correct batteries to follow is the easy part. I'm curious also to see what battery is recommended thanks for asking the question:)

True, but I have so many protected batteries and only 4 unprotected ones. I'd like to be able to use the protected ones because they're not all getting used (and I prefer protected ones, to be honest). :candle:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I'm in for one on the BLF list already. Good chance I'll order two when the time comes. Finally, an SRK type light with some meat on it. An SRK I can purchase with dignity. An SRK that will see the dream that was the original SRK purchase finally fulfilled. An SRK to stand the test of time. Ok, I'm getting nutty but, can't wait till Christmas. Until then, I'll keep following the progress and if I feel I've two cents I'll throw it. So far I'm highly impressed. Just the ability to move forward at all on such a project as this is huge in itself, let alone the level of care, hard work and attention that this SRK is getting. It feels good to participate, in whatever small way, with such a cool endeavor. Thanks all concerned for getting this moving.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
I'm new around here. More of a lurker really. Is it possible to get on the list? I can pay now if it's a matter of not having trade history or some such.

This light just looks too good to pass up, especially for the price!

Thank you,
Gary

Wendee

Enlightened
I'm new around here. More of a lurker really. Is it possible to get on the list? I can pay now if it's a matter of not having trade history or some such.

This light just looks too good to pass up, especially for the price!

Thank you,
Gary

Your first post! Hi Gary and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Smegheaaad

Newly Enlightened
Wotcher, Gary! I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. This thread was one of the reasons I subscribed after lurking for gawd knows how many years; the better part of a decade, certainly. There's been a spate of too-good-to-miss deals recently, and this SRK is one of them. I'm seriously thinking of asking to bump my allocation to two.

Wendee, that was basically the reason I asked about current draws. :) Based on what The Miller posted in response, it sounds like your protected cells will be fine. Orbtronic reckons a 6.8A continuous discharge rate, and the quoted turbo current is about 14.3A with 4 cells in parallel, which means that each of the four is contributing around 3.6A in that case. You couldn't drive turbo mode with one of your cells, but with all four in parallel that's only about a 1C discharge, which isn't too demanding at all.

Wendee

Enlightened
Ok great, thanks Smegheaaad. Since I don't understand about W/L and voltage stuff, I couldn't tell from what you guys wrote if my batteries would be ok.

I assumed, since the batteries are in parallel, that one battery would power one LED (emitter?) and get 1000 lumens. If only 3 batteries were put into the light, 3 LED would come on for a total of 3000 lumens, 4 batteries for 4000 lumens, and so on. Like the Fenix LD50 works except the Fenix only two batteries/2 LED. I really don't know much about how this stuff works so I guess I was wrong.

Every time I read this thread I get all excited about the light! $40.00 including shipping for this awesome light is really unbelievable. It sounds just perfect, in every way. Exciting stuff! :)

Last edited:

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok great, thanks Smegheaaad. Since I don't understand about W/L and voltage stuff, I couldn't tell from what you guys wrote if my batteries would be ok.

I assumed, since the batteries are in parallel, that one battery would power one LED (emitter?) and get 1000 lumens. If only 3 batteries were put into the light, 3 LED would come on for a total of 3000 lumens, 4 batteries for 4000 lumens, and so on. Like the Fenix LD50 works except the Fenix only two batteries/2 LED. I really don't know much about how this stuff works so I guess I was wrong.

Every time I read this thread I get all excited about the light! $40.00 including shipping for this awesome light is really unbelievable. It sounds just perfect, in every way. Exciting stuff! :)

New here.. So this light have 4 circuit?? One circuit power each led???