The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire Fury

The 6PX is not a one piece body. The body separates from the head and tail cap like all the other SF lights. It is not meant to, however.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire Fury

SureFire's latest line of LED flashlights, lets call them X-type LED flashlights, have bezels that are 'glued' to the bodies. The bezel is not designed nor intended to be removed by the user. Doing so likely voids the lifetime warranty.
Batteries are replaced by unscrewing the TailCap.

Tulku

Newly Enlightened
I like the look of this one - does anyone know if this has a p60 size lamp? (will I be able to fit a Malcoff in there?)

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome:

I like the look of this one - does anyone know if this has a p60 size lamp? (will I be able to fit a Malcoff in there?)
Did you read Size 15's post immediately above your post?
Norm

Tulku

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Did you read Size 15's post immediately above your post?
Norm

Thanks Norm,

I see that he is implying separating glued parts would void Surefire's warranty -I'm wondering what size the lamp is and if it is a modular assembly ... (More specifically, can I put an M61 in there)

Am I in the wrong place to ask this type of question?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Perhaps the most important change SureFire has made with their latest line of LED flashlights, lets call them X-type LED flashlights, is to do away with the removable "Lamp Assembly" and have the LED mounted directly into the bezel.
This means the bezel does not have to be removable [because there are no user-replaceable components inside] and is therefore 'glued' to the body.
This means the bezel threads can be shorter as the joint/seal doesn't have to cope with a lifetime of users. The overall length of the flashlight can therefore reduce.

More importantly, the LED and electronics inside the bezel are installed directly to metal that is part of the bezel allowing heat to transfer directly to the whole bezel. LEDs can be driven harder for longer because the heat they generate is more effectively managed and the lifespan of the LED is maintained.

Al :)

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Norm,

I see that he is implying separating glued parts would void Surefire's warranty -I'm wondering what size the lamp is and if it is a modular assembly ... (More specifically, can I put an M61 in there)

Am I in the wrong place to ask this type of question?

Why would you? When there's numerous hosts available for P60 style drop-ins?

Tommygun45

Enlightened
What's the deal with the tip of that bezel? It looks like it is unscrewable. Also I noticed the 5.2" length as compared to the 5.4" of the 6PX. Do you guys think this is some way of fixing the bump mode changing issue? Compress the batteries a bit more to give them less room to wiggle? I had a 6PX Pro I had to sell because I just couldn't get over that. Now if they fixed it, doubled the output, and kept it about the same size, well now we're talking.

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
What's the deal with the tip of that bezel? It looks like it is unscrewable. Also I noticed the 5.2" length as compared to the 5.4" of the 6PX. Do you guys think this is some way of fixing the bump mode changing issue? Compress the batteries a bit more to give them less room to wiggle? I had a 6PX Pro I had to sell because I just couldn't get over that. Now if they fixed it, doubled the output, and kept it about the same size, well now we're talking.

Actually, Surefire has fixed the mode bump issue on the 6PX/G2X line. I know because I had one of the original faulty G2X Pro models, sent it in to Surefire, and they sent me a brand new replacement G2X Pro that works flawlessly. Others who have bought 6PX/G2X lights recently, seem to also have no issues. It was something that was going on with early models (the ones with the "introductory prices"), but seems to have been completely fixed in recent models.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Good to know. Hadn't heard that but that is a good sign.

Actually, Surefire has fixed the mode bump issue on the 6PX/G2X line. I know because I had one of the original faulty G2X Pro models, sent it in to Surefire, and they sent me a brand new replacement G2X Pro that works flawlessly. Others who have bought 6PX/G2X lights recently, seem to also have no issues. It was something that was going on with early models (the ones with the "introductory prices"), but seems to have been completely fixed in recent models.

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
Well I bought a Fury on the bay , now the wait starts , I think I will downsize my collection , goodbye Surefire M6 and the Olights .

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Looks neat.

I was unimpressed with my 6PX Pro. Its an okay light, but if it gets bumped it switches from low<-->high. Also the plastic lens was kind of a bummer. I mean, IMO that is not a corner that should be cut. I'd rather pay $125 for a light with a glass lens, than $115 for a light with a plastic lens.

I am also unimpressed by the smooth surface. I'd much rather have a textile surface than a smooth "futuristic" non-practical surface.

Apparently the Fury will cost approx. $190 to customers in my location, which is too much for a light in this form-factor. It's competing with my upgraded 6P, and it comes up lacking. That plastic lens and non-textile body really do knock it down a couple pegs. Looks like they are keeping the same X-class tailswitch, which as I said above, has its problems with unwanted mode-switching.

To throw a bone to SureFire, I had an opportunity to get my hands on a E1B the other day. Man is it a beautiful, compact and comfortable little light. Dang if I don't want to fork out for one. The desire is irrational as I have 'better' lights in its size/weight class, but again dang if it isn't a nice little unit.

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
I would buy this light in a flash but I am not going to because I know how easily the plastic lens gets all scratched up, what was Surefire thinking putting these easy scratch plastic lens in there new lights, I won't go near them because of the lens, even just wiping the lens with a soft cloth leaves scratches on it.

I bet a lot of people if they buy this light and it has the plastic lens they will be disappointed because it just scratches up to easy.

DM51

Flashaholic
A few scratches on the lens won't make any perceptible difference in the performance of the light. Plastic/lexan has the advantage of being break-proof, which in many real-world circumstances is a pretty big point in its favor.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how some scratches got on my 6PX Pro. They do leave some unwanted shadows on the spill beam. That said, it doesn't really bother me much in real world use. I guess it depends on individual, whether he thinks break proof is more important than scratch proof.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] scratched [...] scratch [...] scratches
... it has the plastic lens they will be disappointed because it just scratches up to easy.
I confess that I am most interested in your last sentence - since you are stating that the lens on the SF P2X-B scratches up too easily, that means that you have experienced this with the light, am I correct? :ironic:

BTW I've been using an older lexan-lens SF C2 modestly over the past ~18 months and it doesn't have a single scratch on it yet. :shrug:
Since I own it & use it, I do feel as though I can comment on it to a certain degree.

Edit: Not trying to go OT, just commenting on the comparable Lexan lens in my old C2.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So...has anyone received his or her Fury yet? I saw that one particular dealer over on the Marketplace said that shipping should have started on Tues (Dec 13). Any comments from anyone that has one in his or her hands? :)

Quiksilver

Enlightened
BTW I've been using an older lexan-lens SF C2 modestly over the past ~18 months and it doesn't have a single scratch on it yet. :shrug:

I've been using my 6PX Pro since May, and the lens has a good number of scratches including one serious one. Go figure. :)

I don't know what you use your light for, or what the context definition of 'modestly' means.

Two nights ago I went for a 30 minute run on the beach, and afterward practiced lighting a fire with a firesteel on the beach ... Used the 6PX Pro for everything. Its got a couple new scratches from perching it on sand/pebbles to use it. I'd call that modest use (im not combat MOS in central Asia, and its doesnt live on the nightstand).