The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Re: Help Wanted: what improvement over the upgraded 6p?

Surefire's main business is with military and law enforcement people. Not all of them want to have to tinker with their flashlight or deal with rechargeables. A lot of them probably view flashlights as a tool. Having a great light that works right out of the package is probably advantageous, especially if they end up selling them in quantity to a single organization, and the cost per unit new is probably cheaper for the Fury than it is for what you describe, and having just low and high modes is very simple to operate.

I understand that, and I agree! In fact, this recent development and a couple of others is really good news that a wonderful American company is more quickly adopting the more recent advances in electronics to stay at least competitive. IMHO, folks in the military and police sould be very well served with this that the sister platforms.

But, the question was for my personal benefit because I am seriously considering buying a couple for my self and family. That would mean shelving, or selling some good old upgraded Surefire/Malkoff workhorses (6P, C2, 9Ps, MD4, MD2) that have flexility and just plain work too. I don't see that much, if any, benefit to the switch. Maybe I am missing something.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some things to consider. The larger reflector of the Fury yields more throw than modules like the Nailbender. It is also up to date in terms of current tech and output. Heat is not a big problem with the FURY as XML modules sometimes can be really hot when used for extended periods of time. You get alot with the FURY as a stock light out of the box. You dont have to place several different orders to get all the parts needed to trick out a 6P, which is also a advantage with the FURY. The FURY also runs well with rechargeables. I run mine on both 2x RCR123 and with a 17670.

But, After reading this thread from the begining, I do have a question for anyone: What if any advantage does the Fury have over the upgraded 6p? By upgraded I mean the 6p has ULC lens, stainles bezel protector, is ElectronGuru bored for 18650, Nailbender three mode XML, and McClicky installed.

If (when) new technology comes out, I can just change my light. Of course, there is the "cool" factor, and warranty, but what substantial improvements if any?

Thanks for any input.

Ray

Vinniec5

Enlightened

kyhunter1 any problems with the 17670? whats the runtime with it? I've heard both do and don't with 17670s in the fury and i have 4 of them hanging around. I's like to use them if I could in my fury for daily use

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Had mine for 6 months and used rechargeables for most of that time with no problems yet. My Fury has quite a few hours on it now. It will run mostly regulated with the 17670 and major dimming showing up around the 40 minute mark. With two RCR123's it runs full output flat regulated till the protection circuit in the cells shut the light off around the 20-25 minute mark. Around the house, I use rechargeables. Away from home I feed it primaries after the 17670 starts to dim. You have the advantage with the 17670 dimming to warn that the battery is low, and not cutting off and leaving you in the dark. My cells are all AW brand. Also remember that using non surefire rechargeables voids your warranty. I accept that risk with mine.

kyhunter1 any problems with the 17670? whats the runtime with it? I've heard both do and don't with 17670s in the fury and i have 4 of them hanging around. I's like to use them if I could in my fury for daily use

Glock 22

Enlightened
Have you looked at the Dark Sucks clips, there a low ride bezel down clip that works perfect on the Fury.

Where are the bezel down low ride clips for these monsters!!

EDIT: I also run a AW 17670 in my Fury like kyhunter1 and I've had no problems with it.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I see Robin. But I wonder how it comes that light reviews states so different chart than your. Actually I first read light reviews review which showed a very stable output and after I ordered the light I read your review which showed a not nearly as stable output...

While Light reviews shows a practically full output until around 50 minutes your review shows that the output has dropped to around 400lm after the same time and ~350lm before the true decline. The curves are not even close to similar for the first 1 hour.

Perhaps light-reviews is using a fan to simulate the cooling effect of holding the light in the hand.

Glock 22

Enlightened
Your right, my bad. I don't know what I was thinking. I meant to say it's the one that I was able to find that worked and looked the best on the Fury. There looking for a deep carry one, and I've not found one yet.

the darksucks Surefire Ti Pocket Clip isn't the low ride :(

just the standard level

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps light-reviews is using a fan to simulate the cooling effect of holding the light in the hand.

Yes, that's correct. I mailed Light Reviews and received following answer:

"All reviews on Light-Reviews.com are done with active cooling by means of a cooling fan blowing on the flashlight while performing run time test. This is relevant to simulate real-world use because when we hold the flashlight in our hands or using it outdoors which help draw heat away from the flashlight, especially when running on high output modes which dissipate significant heat."

Robin24K: did you do the runtime test of P2X Fury without any cooling?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, we test lights at room temperature around 72-75F without any additional cooling (as specified by ANSI FL-1 Standard 2.1.1 Lab Conditions).

Ok, that's likely the main explanation of the very different results between your and Light reviews test. Therefore I think I will be satisfied with P2X Fury. Such a flashlight I normally use handheld and mostly not for half an hour or more continiously, so the output hardly will drop below 450lm before the true decline. :)

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rivets are easily removed with a careful hand and a drill or a dremel/pencil grinder with a burr.

That gives me an idea.

Single stage XM-L at 800 lumens with 1 18650.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get it back from our Man liv'in in the Pacific Northwest! Oh we're throwing in a crane cam, roller rockers, carb, manifold, headers, gearing in the rear end, and a new tranny! We're shoot'in for the 1/4 mile single mode and not the gazillion mode Indy 500 type of races!

It's gonna be one heavy flashlight though, you think? I may have to take off the slicks, so it'll fit in a holster?

This dang Fury's got more frequent flyer miles then I do! ... :naughty:

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally broke down and bought a Fury. Much better than the Jetbeam BC50 I had, but my impressions are still mixed.

1. Looks good
2. Bright
3. Seems pretty sturdy

A. Way too slippery--no knurling or hard edges
B. SF's laser engraving keeps getting worse
C. Could use a higher "low" or a 3rd mode IMHO. For indoor daytime use 15 is too dim and 500 is too bright, but this is just nitpicking.
D. No worthwhile anti-roll

Already have a U2 and a P60 host so I don't think I'll keep it. The lack of grip really irritates me more than anything else, actually.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
A. Way too slippery--no knurling or hard edges
D. No worthwhile anti-roll

These are my two major complaints. Surefire seems to have gone away from knurling on the majority of their products.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised about reading about P2X Fury beeing slipper. Neither the review by Lightreviews or Ledresource give that opinion. However, I will receive my example next week so I will then share my impression about it.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
The Fury CombatLight (P2ZX-A) solves the "slippery" problems, in my opinion. However, the "-A" is the tactical single level only model. If SF introduces a "-B" version (two output levels) then that would be a better alternative for those that like a combat ring.

Since I have the original Fury (P2X-B) I bought the SureFire Combat Rings (CR-KIT01) to provide a better grip, especially when used with a handgun. The rings are not perfect since they will slide around with use but they work good enough for my purposes.

SureFireFuryP2X-Bcroppedresized.jpg

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received P2X Fury, a bit earlier than I thought. :)

First impression: as all Surefire I have owned I instantly like this light! It has the typhical quality feeling of a Surefire. Smooth and nice design, pretty compact size. It could have been knurled but in my opinion it isn't still that slipper, it has a soft feeling which is very nice to hold and with a few edges. I experience no tendency for the light to glide away in the hand when I push the button, which is something I otherwise find annoying.
Unfortunately the design provides practically no antiroll function. The advantage however, compared to E2DL Defender is that P2X Fury will make no risk for the jacket pocket!

For me it's ok with the low mode first, if I instantly need high mode I have it within a second by pushing the button fast two times. The low is very low and the high is BRIGHT. Doing some ceiling bounce test it's definitely brighter than Jetbeam PA40N, the lux meter actually shows similar value as Fenix TK30 at 630lm mode. Brightness is between PA40 and Maelstrom X10. The beam is clean with a wide and very cool white hotspot but a purple tinted spill, like PA40.

The design also makes P2X Fury excellent to cover with the hand over the head for drawing off heat.
It came to my mind that I payed a lower price for P2X than as well my Outdoorsmans and Defender. That's good because as I mentioned it seems to be the same Surefire top-notch quality as the other.

I already feel that P2X Fury will be another favorite in my flashlight collection! This week-end I will have some fun with P2X Fury and Maelstrom X10! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a few days experience with Fury I will share my thoughts:

*I can admit that Fury sometimes feels a bit too slippery. A small amount of grease from hands on the surface or when the fingers are dry are situations when the grip isn't good.

*15lm is good for some situations. But for such a 2-mode flashlight a low mode of 100lm would be much more useful and a great allround mode! For the very low modes I have the keychain light. The difference between 15 and 500lm is, as mentioned by other users, too big.

*I would like that Fury could be made in a 3CR123 model, or that the present model could be runned at 9V, with an extension tube. That would provide better runtime, a better hold and the light would still be pretty compact sized.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
All you need is two o-rings! ...

CIMG2343.jpg

CIMG2353.jpg

Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeazie! ... :thumbsup: