The Tint Snob Thread

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Slightly off topic, but do any Canadians here have any LEE Zircon Filters (Minus Green) that they'd be willing to sell/ship? I've been trying to source some but shipping is prohibitively expensive for one light...

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Send me a pm with what you are looking to get.

Thank you for the reply. I actually got a hold of a lighting supplier that will send me a sample swatch booklet from LEE. I'll definitely contact you if the booklet doesn't have what I'm looking for. What filters do you recommend? I'm looking to clean up my SC600w IV Plus.

NPL

Enlightened
I have the swatchbook too, but those are much thinner and not sure how they will endure compared to the Zircon series. You will have many good options though. I would recommend something like the half minus green from the search book. You will take about a 25% hit in brightness but the beam afterwards is absolutely beautiful.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

wow idk how i passed over this thread..

my apologies to the moderators and the op.

this is what i was looking for.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast

@wicky

Answering your questions over here:

do you have a favorite tint?
Yes, 4500k
will you not buy a specific light because it may not have the tint you want?
yep, I need counseling though

do you use diffferent tints for different circumstances? ie. inside/outside, winter/summer?
I was using my high noon only during the daytime, and then I realized that was too extreme even for me... I have to admit it was a little awkward explaining to my wife that I had a daytime flashlight and a nighttime flashlight 😳

if so what temp? why? and whats your favorite light that uses it?
Definitely my HDS with the SW45k, aka F89's Holy Grail, aka F89HG. I prefer the F89HG moniker because I feel like I'm crediting F89 with the win... (F89 is the CPF member who convinced HDS to offer that emitter)
close second is a (rare?) Malkoff M61W XPG at 4500k that hron61 sold me. Maybe not rare, but it's awesome! Thanks hron!!!

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast

@wicky

Answering your questions over here:

do you have a favorite tint?
Yes, 4500k
will you not buy a specific light because it may not have the tint you want?
yep, I need counseling though

do you use diffferent tints for different circumstances? ie. inside/outside, winter/summer?
I was using my high noon only during the daytime, and then I realized that was too extreme even for me... I have to admit it was a little awkward explaining to my wife that I had a daytime flashlight and a nighttime flashlight 

if so what temp? why? and whats your favorite light that uses it?
Definitely my HDS with the SW45k, aka F89's Holy Grail, aka F89HG. I prefer the F89HG moniker because I feel like I'm crediting F89 with the win... (F89 is the CPF member who convinced HDS to offer that emitter)
close second is a (rare?) Malkoff M61W XPG at 4500k that hron61 sold me. Maybe not rare, but it's awesome! Thanks hron!!!

thanks lion! and nice!

gonna have to check out that hds

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I have a favorite tint Wicky:
Un-dark

The only tint I don't like is shopping mall parking lot type that makes it so you can't find your car because it looks a different color. CRI gets a negative score. Other than that any is ok with me.

I do prefer whiter tints outdoors when looking at distant objects. My eyes need less time to ID friend or foe in those cases. For recreation a neutral of 4500-5500 is preferred. I grew up with light bulb'd lights so those I'm used to.

To my eyes tint means less than intensity. Too much intensity is what bothers my eyes.

My favorite daily carry uses 6200 kelvin with a water bottle cap over the end to diffuse light when intensity is the issue. Hi/me/lo settings on a 1 cell platform. The PKDL PR-1. My favorite LED flashlight in general is a SureFire G2x Pro that has a cool/neutral tint. My all around favorite is a 2C light bulb'd generic light modeled after a Bright Star of long ago. Again, intensity of the beam suits my brain. A PR2 bulb and shallow reflector cause a nice spot to cast the 8 or so lumens forward about 25-30 feet with enough spill to avoid pitfalls or trip over raised cracks in a sidewalk. Nice, clean parts means efficient enough current to make the PR2 glow a nice bright tint. Number? No idea. Perhaps 3000k.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast

gonna have to check out that hds

The F89HG emitter (which had a CRI of 95) is out of stock at HDS. But a couple have popped up on WTS. Keep an eye peeled.

Another rare but highly desirable (for some) emitter was the XP-G 3700k Hi CRI. I've been trying to find one of those for a while now.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the Nichia E21a 3500k 9080 in the evening.
UPfsBK0l.jpg

the sw45k is still my preferred daytime EDC

Im a Tint Snob, the XP-G3 makes me laugh (the wood is not green, and the LED is not High CRI)

I laugh at the XM-L too ;-)
ZKXiVxxl.jpg

Last edited:

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened

Nichia 219 4000k
XP-L (HI)
Osram KW CSLNN1 love this emitter but a little on the high side for color.

I also like the Samsung 351D.

I have several new lights but it's hard to justify a favorite because the quantity of lights I own. I own more with these 2 emitters Nichia and XP-L and I tend to favor them.

NPL

Enlightened

The Samsung 351D is a great emitter, I have it in my Zebralight SC64c LE. Its does cast a little green but its very minimal and find it better than Nichia 219C.

My favourite LED for perfect tint and super high CRI is the Nichia e21a and e17a. There's actually a groupbuy on the other forum for the Skilhunt H04 RC with those LED's with CRI 90 with R9 80+. Tempted to order a few CCT flavours. I have that setup in a custom Armytek Tiara and its my most used light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Samsung 351D... does cast a little green

I agree the 351d is greener
xIyo68Hl.jpg

in the above lumen results, I tested each light using the same battery. But the drivers are not the same. So the only conclusion you can draw from the lumen levels, is that the Manker E02 with 219c is the brightest, but not necessarily only because of the LED.

I suggest a more thorough comparison would be to find a test of each LED showing the DUV, CRI Ra, and CRI R9... I believe you would find that the 219b has lower DUV and higher R9 than the others, and it IS less bright overall... (more CRI R9, comes with less green lumens)

fwiw, sunlight is greener than incandescent
I enjoy the 351d during the day, when my brain is white balanced to sunlight.

extra credit, open book question
What is the DUV of Sunlight?

Last edited:

LED Monkey

Enlightened

Is just me or are some leds with higher color temps (above 5000k) getting better a color rendering like over 80cri?
This is a good thing as leds progress. Even cool whites have a better appearance to the light nowadays.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast

It isn't just you. Higher color temp LEDs with High CRI are readily available but still somewhat in the realm of DIY or speciality products. There are cool temp LEDs such as 5000k+ hitting 99 CRI. In general even production flashlights hover around 70+ when not explicitly high CRI.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

the effect of white balance on the perception of color and tint

photos by iPhone, auto white balance:
same LEDs, totally different apparent color

8am ambient daylight
wvnnOkXl.jpg

8pm ambient incandescent and warm LED
RXILu7Tl.jpg

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that picture taken in the same spot? The background is noticeably lighter in the first photos than in the second which would also change your perception of color.