• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Vesuvius Hi-Current Flashlight

Curt R

Enlightened
The Vesuvius Hi-Output light:

We were able to ship 14 in HA and 20 in Brass to RMSK and Bob should have them by
Monday the 17th​ or the 18th​ of October. The output pattern is wide because of the
small reflector diameter and the large area of the Cree XML die surface. But it sure
does put out a lot of light. I have not had the time to see which momentary switch
length works with either light yet. The QTC works very well and at half power it equals
the output of the Eiger at full power. The IMR battery works best but the standard
10440 will also work, at less output and a faster decrease in light output when used
at full power.

We have put together a product safety warning for this light because it is so unique.
Also because there are no built in safety limits for using this light we can not warranty
the life of the light. With our other lights if left on and unattended the heat buildup
will not permanently damage them. This light could damage itself. Use carefully.

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING

Peak Vesuvius

The Peak LED Solutions Vesuvius Hi-Current XM-L Flashlight:

This flashlight poses a risk of personal injury and property damage if not handled
and operated with great caution.

This light is not a toy and should not be used by or entrusted to anyone other than
a knowledgeable and cautious individual.

Heat:
The very high current from the battery and to the LED generates a great deal of
heat very quickly, and the relatively low mass in this very small flashlight prevents
heat dissipation at a rate that would permit extended operation of the light at a
high output level. When driven to its output capacity, heat reaches a level making
the light too hot to hold within minutes or less. Either the light should be turned
off or Peak's proprietary QTC system should be used to reduce the output before
this happens. If left unattended, build-up of heat could reach the point of ignition
of nearby flammable objects.

This light should never be operated at high output unless in the hand of an alert
operator prepared to quickly reduce current and output.

Batteries:
All batteries are affected by heat and current draw, and if either becomes too great,
a battery can be damaged. At a minimum, battery life can be significantly reduced.
At worst, failure could be explosive. BATTERY FAILURE CAN OCCUR DURING USE, OR
DURING ANY SUBSEQUENT RECHARGING OR USE. A protected battery is no guarantee
against this. Regularly check batteries after use for signs of excessive heat. Always
closely monitor the recharging process and follow safe practice procedures: use a
quality charger; charge in a safe location, check status frequently; terminate the
charge timely; inspect and test the battery after charging.

IMR (LiMn) batteries are believed to safely handle currents much greater than any
other battery chemistry and are therefore the preferred battery for this light. Other
Li-Ion 10440 batteries are not designed for high current applications and when used
in this light can be driven to the very limits of their design. Only new batteries of
good quality should be used in this light. Battery voltage should also be checked
regularly. At the first sign of reduced capacity or other problem the battery should
be retired.

Under no circumstances should this light be operated before the user has studied
the important materials readily available on the subject. We suggest that users
follow the advice and instruction posted throughout the CPF Forum and in the CPF
Marketplace by respected dealers.

Some helpful starting points are located here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Smoke-and-Fire-Hot-Cells-and-Close-Calls-The dangerous-side-of-batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Peak LED Solutions

Curt

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
Well I tried to order a Vesuvius and I must admit that I did not read the shipping Policy.... my fault... put my address in Australia in through PayPal and it all went through...

They I recieved this

Andrew read my shipping policy I DO NOT
SHIP INTERNATIONALLY and you had to force the program
to take your order. I will refund your money please don't do
that again.
Thanks
Bob

Nice.....

So I read the shipping Policy.... and reordered to a friends Po Box in the states so that he could forward it mo me....

Then I received this.... even better customer service

I can not ship to a PO Box with UPS
I'll refund again. I don't have time for this
Bob

Of course there is nothing about that in the shipping policy.....

DUMDUM

Enlightened
I responded that UPS does not ship to PO boxes. I have been slammed
today with the new stuff, so after two tries I was getting a little hot.
Now if that's bad I'm guilty. I already refunded all his money twice thru PP
Thanks Bob

Last edited:

Curt R

Enlightened
revolver:

The sticky at the top of this sub-forum shows the size, just go down
to the Baltic Sea light.

Curt

revolver

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Curt! I just noticed this light only supports li-ions, that's a shame.. Love the innovation though, I'll definitely pick one up if future iterations get lower voltage support too :rock:

Curt R

Enlightened
Lower voltage items are the Eiger and the ShastaX. There is no way
other battery chemistries can support the output requirements of the
Vesuvius light in the AAA size.

The IMR can deliver up to 1.9 Amps to the LED, a standard 10440 almost
1.3 Amps. A 1.5 volt AAA, 0.22 Amps, but that requires a different type
of electronic drive circuit. And that requires the 1.5 volt battery to produce
0.97 Amps of current draw from the battery. A small 1.5 volt AAA battery
can only support a limited current output.

Curt

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
Curt, does the Vesuvius share the same QTC pill as the other QTC Peaks?

Btw sent you a PM

Thanks for the time, i know you must be very busy.

Snow

Enlightened
I responded that UPS does not ship to PO boxes. I have been slammed
today with the new stuff, so after two tries I was getting a little hot.
Now if that's bad I'm guilty. I already refunded all his money twice thru PP
Thanks Bob

A customer was trying his hardest to buy a product from you and it made you irritated. I think that's bad. We all get busy, no need to take it out on a paying customer.

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
To be fair, he may have had more than just 1 person attempt PO Box and international orders. We dont know the numbers and on top of that he probably got a ton of orders at the same time for the light.

DUMDUM

Enlightened
Snow you go ahead and try to ship internationally what a can of worms. That is the reason I have my shopping cart set to not ship. That person forced
the program and it would not even put a shipping amount on the order and gave an error message. I was real busy and then he was trying to tell me
that me shipping policy did not state this or that, well I don't need my shipping policy stated to me I know it, then he did it again. Now if that doesn't
tick you off your not human.
Thanks
Bob

stoli67

Enlightened
Bob,

I think that your first email was quite obnoxious to be honest.... before I had said a thing to you you wrote back all in bold and said "Don't do it again" .... like I am you child or something...

Yes I did not read your shipping policy ... my mistake .... but to keep saying that I forced something to happen is just rubbish.... I went to pay through paypal and that inserted my address into your system without an error message..... it said that the shipping could not be finalised at that time and I assumed that you would let me know the total.....

After you sent the first rude email back to me I tried to get it shipped to a friend in the USA.... I read your shipping notes and there was nothing in your shipping notes about PO Boxes and there still isn't.....

Again you replied quite rudely .... could you not have just said the first time..... I am sorry but at this time we cannot ship overseas? Without the rest....

I was a little busy at the time finalising the details on a new spy 007 for $1600 to get into the shipping details on your site.... and for that I have already stated that was my fault and I am truely sorry. Did you expect me to then go to the UPS site and go through their shipping policy for a $70 light?

Lets face you were busy that day to be sure but I suspect you were ticked off before you even got my first order.

I have bought a lot of expensive lights here on the forum from vendors who have been nothing but polite .... you my friend are not one of them.... I will never by another one your lights..... If this is the treatment that you get as a buyer then just imagine what the after sale service is like.

Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened
I have one more day to wait before my Vesuvius order arrives and I have been thinking about the light and Curt's heat warnings.
I don't want to be the guy that second guesses the designer but I wonder why a larger head, like the Volcan uses, wasn't employed for better heat dispersion.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Snow you go ahead and try to ship internationally what a can of worms. That is the reason I have my shopping cart set to not ship. That person forced
the program and it would not even put a shipping amount on the order and gave an error message. I was real busy and then he was trying to tell me
that me shipping policy did not state this or that, well I don't need my shipping policy stated to me I know it, then he did it again. Now if that doesn't
tick you off your not human.
Thanks
Bob

Enlighten us plesae...how does one force a program?

Really, is this how you to speak to customers, regardless, in the worst economy in history? I ship my equipment all over the world using FedEX, I don't find it that hard. Plus, I must use a Carnet De Voyage, or Carnet. This is a global economy, this is how things get done now. Just charge a premium, and insure it, you can even get your own private insurance.
You know a sale is a sale....

The man was trying to do business with you. You Can't get the man a flashlight, but if he wanted to hire me, I could get myself there to do my work. Strange?

And, no, a good businessman should not get ticked off, as you state. You have to take more in sales. Years ago, a person ticked me off, and I ignored it thinking it is not worth it to fight. Ten years later, he had a project so big, and worth so much, I had to sign a contract written by Philadelphia lawyers, Market Street to be exact, with a clause preventing me from even stating how much I was paid...because it was so much!

You never know who it is you upset.

So get ticked off, see how far that you can go with that.