• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The word's brightest flashlight yet---------IMALENT DX80 32000lumens

jmat

Newly Enlightened
My DX80 hasn't arrive yet, but is it safe to say the newer charger are duds as well? Thinking of just getting a laptop charger myself.

my charger is working well .

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0-AC-DC-Adapter-Failure&p=5178261#post5178261Hello, Flash-o-Maniac,Sorry but we just have time to check the forum.Any time you have problem with Imalent flashlight, email us at [email protected] to get our fast support.We can send you a replacement charger for free.

Enderman

Enlightened
Forget about the strobe... I don't see how this flashlight could be putting out anything even approaching 32000 lumens OTF even if the LED's are being ridiculously over-driven. I checked the specs for the XHP70.2 and the maximum LED lumens are 2015. That times 8 comes out to 16120 ANSI LED lumens total. Am I missing something?
A single XHP70.2 can do over 10,000 lumens when overdriven, google "XHP70.2 test".
You can drive it at 2x the manufacturer rated current and easily get 4000lm out of one LED.
If you look at the datasheet you will see the current-lumen curve which shows how much output you will get when driving it at higher currents.

This is so common, in fact, that even cree lists all of their lumen outputs at 200% current rather than 100%.
http://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-arrays/xlamp-xhp70-2
"
Max Light Output (lm)4292 lm
"

So yes it is very easy to get 4000*8=32000 lumens.
Obviously this only lasts a few seconds before the LEDs heat up (reducing output) or the driver has to step down due to heat.
Whether a few seconds of 32000lm is useful or not, that is debatable.
This "lumen race" is mostly for marketing purposes and putting a bigger number on the box, not really for practicality.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
A single XHP70.2 can do over 10,000 lumens when overdriven, google "XHP70.2 test".
You can drive it at 2x the manufacturer rated current and easily get 4000lm out of one LED.
If you look at the datasheet you will see the current-lumen curve which shows how much output you will get when driving it at higher currents.

This is so common, in fact, that even cree lists all of their lumen outputs at 200% current rather than 100%.
http://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-arrays/xlamp-xhp70-2
"
Max Light Output (lm)4292 lm
"

So yes it is very easy to get 4000*8=32000 lumens.
Obviously this only lasts a few seconds before the LEDs heat up (reducing output) or the driver has to step down due to heat.
Whether a few seconds of 32000lm is useful or not, that is debatable.
This "lumen race" is mostly for marketing purposes and putting a bigger number on the box, not really for practicality.

The good thing with the DX80 though is that it can run over 100 minutes at 5000 lumens. That's where these things shine, but I have to admit that I got suckered into ordering one when I saw it can really put out 32,000 lumens even if for a few seconds! Another reason is that I just like the looks of it too.

Enderman

Enlightened
The good thing with the DX80 though is that it can run over 100 minutes at 5000 lumens. That's where these things shine, but I have to admit that I got suckered into ordering one when I saw it can really put out 32,000 lumens even if for a few seconds! Another reason is that I just like the looks of it too.
Hey, nothing wrong with some bragging rights if you can afford it ;)

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Hey, nothing wrong with some bragging rights if you can afford it ;)

haha, no kidding, this light is just to show off for kicks although I can see myself bringing it along on my camping trips as well.

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
I got bang on 32,000 lumens based on calibrating a X45 to 14,900 lumens.

It spanks it's rivals!

I seem to recognise this railway signal, is it between Healey mills and Horbury junction on the way to Wakefield kirkgate? (I'm a train driver)
I love my DX80 although I had to send the first head back to imalent because half the Leds stopped working. But fingers crossed no probs with the new head.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I seem to recognise this railway signal, is it between Healey mills and Horbury junction on the way to Wakefield kirkgate? (I'm a train driver)
I love my DX80 although I had to send the first head back to imalent because half the Leds stopped working. But fingers crossed no probs with the new head.

Last edited:

donlong

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if there is a DX80 killer in the pipeline for 2018?
any whisperings of flashlight that will surpass 32000 lumens?