Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

SilentK

Enlightened
i learned not to press down on a procescor when installing it in a motherboard. :oops: i will never forgive myself for bending the pin that dual core when they first came out and cost some serious money.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
i learned not to press down on a procescor when installing it in a motherboard. :oops: i will never forgive myself for bending the pin that dual core when they first came out and cost some serious money.
ZIF slot: Zero Insertion Force slot. :) At least now you know. ;)

SilentK

Enlightened
ZIF slot: Zero Insertion Force slot. :) At least now you know. ;)

Yeah, glad that i learned it with that dual core instead of now with my quad core. :D i love my 3.4ghz of raw overclocked power! another thing i learned the hard way was that sharp saws are safer then dull ones. all those boy scout lectures years ago and i never listened. my left index finger will never forgive me. now every time i make a fist, that finger makes a not so good sounding pop. i cut it right on the knuckle. :shakehead

ozner1991

Enlightened
do not make a soda can stove to short and the holes to small. the fuel will spray out the seams and light everything on fire (including yourself):oops:

im oke though =P just let this be a warning to people making one:tsk:

Illum

Flashaholic
Do not nail/epoxy/bolt shut anything that's designed to expand

If something feels loose ASK before you try to secure it

For anything that is designed to hang on the wall independently its best not to add glass ornaments

For all aerosol cans that tell you not to spray it upside down, they are telling the truth

For spray on sunscreen/bug repellent, verify the position of the nozzle before you spray

If your changing a light bulb, verify that your not standing on a roller chair

While your gassing up the car, verify that you've pushed the nozzle all the way in and keep your eye on it, not the hot girl gassing up in front of you.

When carrying heavy items on concrete pavement, do not assume the "anti-slipping" feature on your shoes work as advertised

If your carrying your hotwire in your pants, lock it out, same goes for knives.

If the label says "unroll and lay flat," do not assume it applies to you

auto-focus isn't, auto-adjust never

If mom says its the music is too loud, its too loud, even if the speakers are on mute

Whatever your microwaveable item says, do not assume the time is based on your microwave's highest setting.

If it says microwaveable, do not assume its dishwasher safe

Watch where you pour fabric softener, no it does not go down the same hole as bleach

Do not accidentally pour milk on the carpet, because no one will believe you did it accidentally

When you park the car, be considerate of others. If someone is double parked and your not, and that other individual can't get in their drivers door because your parked properly, expect an argument.

When you suspect your pen exploded, do not try to disassemble it on your desk without some protection

Next time you visit any recreation park, verify that your camera's batteries are not sitting on the charger at home

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure ya wire cutters are sharp enough to strip the insulation from cables ;) or one slip and this can happen :poke:

004-21-1.jpg

SilentK

Enlightened
When manually overclocking using your computers BIOS, do not double your cpu's multiplyer. :nana:

When your plan above does not work, do not start moving random jumpers on your computer thinking you are clearing the CMOS.

That was not me, but a friend who saw me overclocking my pc and wanted to do the same. Now he is very experienced. Thankfully.

Never play slipknot when someone you want to impress is expected to come over. :D (Why must people be early)

Just because axes are dull, does not mean hatchets are.

Do not write data to a solid state drive when your UPS battery is not working and it is raining outside. :shakehead

rely only on yourself.

Do not use RAID 0 on old unreliable drives.

Hot babes who are lacking money can suck the cash right out of you without even asking for it. And you never even regret it!:nana:

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Don't overclock unless you are willing to spend time figuring it out. (a few times over the years)

Don't overclock your friend's processor when he is compiling something, the processor will overheat and crash (2004)

Don't overclock your computer at a LAN party to unrar something faster, WinRAR will end up giving you an error. (2009)

When the power company contractor says they are going to cut your power, they won't cut it until you have stopped watching them and go to play computer games (2006) I bought my first ups after that one.

SilentK

Enlightened
Don't overclock your computer at a LAN party

I learned to tweak nothing at a LAN party. last time i did, i went to take a leak and left my BIOS open and when i got back, i was at my desktop and i forgot about the overclocking, so it turned out a couple of my friends turned the front side bus down to 180 mhz and the multiplyer down to like 8. needless to say i could not play the game, so i spent the first 2 round trying to figure out what went wrong. i think they were just so afraid of my battlefield 2 skills (project reality mod) they had to shut me down. :devil:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If, in the course of your life, you have to choose between two paths, and one path will lead to a can of Fix-a-Flat(the large tire truck and suv can, no less) exploding in the back seat of your truck...........the OTHER path is undoubtedly the path you should choose.

Just fyi. :buddies:

Edit: Cleaned it all up as best I could, left all the windows open and a large fan blowing in the cab. Five hours later and the fumes are still so strong that it'd be unsafe to sit in the cab with the windows closed. Moving all that kind of stuff to storage areas outside the cab!

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If, in the course of your life, you have to choose between two paths, and one path will lead to a can of Fix-a-Flat(the large tire truck and suv can, no less) exploding in the back seat of your truck...........the OTHER path is undoubtedly the path you should choose.

Just fyi. :buddies:

Yikes!! What caused it to explode?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
A 2,000 watt fuel efficient generator running a few things is better than a 10,000 generator that used up all your fuel that you can't replace. Goes with...no such thing as to much fuel on hand PRIOR to a storm.

SilentK

Enlightened
A 2,000 watt fuel efficient generator running a few things is better than a 10,000 generator that used up all your fuel that you can't replace. Goes with...no such thing as to much fuel on hand PRIOR to a storm.

Ha. if i had a 10000 generator, i would sell it, buy a 3000 watt one, and buy some flashlights. :party:

Illum

Flashaholic

was it a Honda EU2000iA that replaced your 10,000W... jeezez where'd you find a 10kW portable? The smallest permanent mount Genny was from Briggs and Straton and it was a 7kW

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When hooking up a blue laser diode for a demonstration, always use a soft-start circuit to drive it instead of a simple series resistor with a noisy on/off switch. :poof:

Illum

Flashaholic
:sigh:
alotta money in that smoke...:shrug:

How dare you use a resistor?! at the very minimum a LM317 in current regulation mode could've been better