Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just a moment ago, I assembled a vacuum by Hoover touted on the Home Shopping Channel as the greatest thing since sliced bread. A local Sears Hardware sells the same model. Anyway, mom saw the piece of crap on HSC and wanted it. So, I had to take apart a much better and less expensive vacuum cleaner which I had gotten for her. A little Dirt Devil upright that was absolutely ideal for her home and worked well. But, she's never satisfied. :rolleyes:

She hated that the little Dirt Devil blew cold air from the bottom. Not dirt. Just a bit of cold air. Yeah, nevermind the fact that it works incredibly well for sucking dirt. Yeah, just ignore that fact. So, I spend about two hours taking it apart to box it up. Took it back to PC Richard & Son. Thankfully they took it back with no issue. Then ordered the more expensive Hoover Piece-O-Crap. (If there was truth in advertising, that would be what they'd call it.) Mom thinks there's something wrong with it because it overheats horribly. (No, it says in the manual that it does that. Unlike the Dirt Devil.) It can't even pick up a piece of felt off a rug. Just an idiotic, shiny, little thing she saw on TV and had to have. So now I'm thinking I have to contact HSC to return it. But for some bizarre reason, mom likes it. I finally told her, okay; it's your toy. Enjoy it. Not a real vacuum cleaner. Just a clunky toy that she can push across the floors and play pretend.

Conclusion: Never buy anything online or mail-order that you can buy locally, at a store; for at or just barely above the same price. If it turns out to be a Crap-O-Matic, returns are a fricking hassle. (I'm still expecting mom to actually come to her senses and tell me to contact HSC to send the worthless garbage back.)

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing timing Monocrom....... I just took a break from doing some vacuuming to check my email and was alerted to your last post. I won't go into the details but for years I struggled with all kinds of problems with a Hoover Vac I owned and finally got rid of it last year for a Dyson, which I love. If I didn't have the repair skills I do the Hoover wouldn't have lasted quite so long. It's a shame, Hoover was once the premier name in vacuums to the point where "hoover" actually became a verb, but now they are junk.

So, one thing I've learned the hard way: Never buy a Hoover.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Amazing timing Monocrom....... I just took a break from doing some vacuuming to check my email and was alerted to your last post. I won't go into the details but for years I struggled with all kinds of problems with a Hoover Vac I owned and finally got rid of it last year for a Dyson, which I love. If I didn't have the repair skills I do the Hoover wouldn't have lasted quite so long. It's a shame, Hoover was once the premier name in vacuums to the point where "hoover" actually became a verb, but now they are junk.

So, one thing I've learned the hard way: Never buy a Hoover.

Sadly I wish my mother had learned that lesson. Though now she likely will ... and the hard way.

For some incredibly bizarre reason, she's decided to keep it. Handle feels like it's flimsy as Hell.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The thing is built like a tank. They don't make them like that any more.

When buying appliances, I've learned to buy commercial. They will often cost 2-3x consumer retail, but will easily last 4-6x as long. Even so, the new commercial price is is usually close to the old consumer price, adjusted for inflation.

Restaurant supply stores are a good place to start. Figure out what brands and models to look for.

This conversation reminds me of some thing I learned the hard way, almost 29 years ago.... When you get married, your going to spend more money on certain things than you ever dreamed. Case in point, the first quality vaccuume cleaner we purchased. $700 DOLLARS!!? :faint: Are you serious? Really, that's how much these things cost!? I had no idea. Oh-well, I want a clean house. :broke: It was a Royal canister. Made in the U.S. of A. We're still using it today.

~ Chance

JacobJones

Enlightened
Yeah, hang on to those old appliances as long as possible. If something breaks buy replacement parts and you're good for another decade, the alternative is to replace with a shiny new machine... Every two years.

My grans ancient washing machine has only failed once and that's because the rubber belt had perished, a trip to the ironmongers for a new belt and she had it fixed in an afternoon. New washing machines don't seem to live long enough for a perished belt to be an issue and actually getting to the belt requires major disassembly of the appliance.

I haven't learned this the hard way but I've seen enough people experiencing it (or not, my dear old granny has the right idea) to do my best to avoid it, rock solid old equipment is available for free thanks to the ignorant masses throwing them away.

I apologise if this rant adds nothing of value to the discussion, when you've got to rant you've got to rant.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If you're spraying lithium grease into a squeaky hinge and you accidentally get even the tiniest bit of it in your hair, you will smell like a gas station for the rest of the day. :sick2:

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
If you're spraying lithium grease into a squeaky hinge and you accidentally get even the tiniest bit of it in your hair, you will smell like a gas station for the rest of the day. :sick2:

Yeah... I just did some O-rings yesterday, I don't mind the smell, it does linger though. :)

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying good,durable boots is worth paying some serious money.

(I paid $480 for my Whites Hunters back in June 2011.They're still plenty comfortable nearly 2 1/2 years later.)

Although,I've read stories of people owning Whites boots for 20 years,still looking nearly new after all that time.

When a HVAC service tech asks to borrow your brand new FourSevens light, do so only after informing him that it's brand new and cost $75 dollars. Perhaps then he'll return it un-scratched.

~ Chance

Monocrom

Flashaholic
When a HVAC service tech asks to borrow your brand new FourSevens light, do so only after informing him that it's brand new and cost $75 dollars. Perhaps then he'll return it un-scratched.

~ Chance

Ouch! The fact that he didn't have a light on him should have been a HUGE red flag.

That's why I keep at least a couple of cheap lights around the home I don't care about.

No matter how much you want to trust your fellow man, don't do it when you've been involved in an automobile accident!

It's happened to me more than once, and it happened to a friend yesterday. He was involved in a fender bender, but due to the age of his van (a 95 Astro) it will be be totaled by the insurance company.

The problem, as it now stands, the guy who hit my friend when he turned left in front of him, changed his story. At the scene he admitted he was at fault and provided insurance information. He and my friend then both left for work without alerting the police. Neither wanted to wait since they were both heading to work, and there didn't seem to be a problem. Today when my friend called the guy's insurance company, he was informed they are hearing two different stories as to what happened/who was at fault. :sigh: :banghead:

If you absolutely have to leave the scene of the accident before the authorities arrive, record everything you can on your smartphone. Take pictures, and ask the other person to provide a recorded statement. If he/she won't, demand that they wait until the police arrive.

~ Chance

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Buying good,durable boots is worth paying some serious money.

(I paid $480 for my Whites Hunters back in June 2011.They're still plenty comfortable nearly 2 1/2 years later.)

Although,I've read stories of people owning Whites boots for 20 years,still looking nearly new after all that time.

Seriously. Wear these exclusively in foul winter weather. 200g is enough for silly cold and when things melt, the sealed tongue handles > 6in deep water:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ng-duty-boot&p=3157232&viewfull=1#post3157232

Just don't think even aggressive tread is a good substitute for spikes, when walking on pure ice!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Something my kids had a hard time learning;

A casual comment is not a promise, and a promise is not to be made casually.

Young people are especially susceptible to thinking that anything said is a binding promise. My dad gave me his diamond ring because he promised it to me when I was about 7 with the words "when I was big enough that it fit." It became a game for us and I tried it on at least once a month. On my 14th birthday it fit, and he made good on his word. I've been wearing it for 45 years.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If you have some stray electronic components sitting on your workbench, be careful where you sit your styrofoam cup of coffee. Tonight I picked up my cup to take a sip and thought "why is a capacitor sticking out of my cu... agh, leak!"
:eek:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have some stray electronic components sitting on your workbench, be careful where you sit your styrofoam cup of coffee. Tonight I picked up my cup to take a sip and thought "why is a capacitor sticking out of my cu... agh, leak!"
:eek:

My first thought was that this was an ESD story, based on the mention of styrofoam and that the humidity is lower in the winter (for those of us in the northern hemisphere), and this all adds up to more static being generated.

Getting 'tronics bits stuck in the cup hadn't occurred to me! I guess there is some value to having a clean workbench, eh?? (or using a ceramic mug)