This one has it all....

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I got my Silva L1 yesterday. First impression when attaching the light to my head is that it sits tight,too tight. The head-band is short, and its adjustment range is small. It does not has any top strap,but it sits so tightly on the head,that it is not going to be instabile while running.

Another thing that struck me when turning the power on,is a buzzing sound! Polaris: does your sample also gives a loudly buzzing sound when the power is on? Is this normal? I have never had any light before that gives away buzzing sounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Testing the L1:
I have not got time to use it for night running,but i went down to my basement and tested it in complete darkness.I also went out in the backyard and tested it. It gives a very powerfull light. However,it don´t think it can give a 100 meter throw at the Ultra Bright mode. That is an overstatement from Silva.

Besides from the buzzing sound which i realy hope is no signal of anything wrong and the very tight head-band,i am so far pleased with the L1. In the week end i will take the L1 with me on night jogging and testing it more.

Polaris

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NorthernStar said:
[....] Another thing that struck me when turning the power on,is a buzzing sound! Polaris: does your sample also gives a loudly buzzing sound when the power is on? Is this normal? [....]

[/ QUOTE ]

NorthernStar - Yes. I indicated in my detailed post in this thread (#969544 - Thu May 05 2005 06:25 AM) that <font color="blue">when the light is at low and medium, it produces a slight buzzing noise</font>. But, in answer to your question, I do not think that I would describe it as a loud buzz. The sound frequency alters according to the light setting. I cannot hear any buzzing when the light is at high (ie ultra bright). I think it can be assumed that the buzzing is entirely normal.

(Buzzing can also be heard when the backlighting is turned on with some GPS devices. In that case it is supposed to be caused by an inverter for the electroluminescent display.)

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Polaris,
i missed that text. Now i see it. It´s good to know that the buzzing sound is nothing to worry about.

flashzedde

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for my lack of information. The test is written in swedish for a swedish magazine. My first impression was that many users here where swedish, but I think I was wrong.

The magazine is available in the shops now, and I think that I am authorized to write a translation of it for you all english speaking people.

If you are still intressested in reading this test. Please reqest a english version of it in our forum:
http://www.adventureteam.se/forum/index_msg.php?forumid=4

Of course you can write in english on my teams forum.

Thank you.
Regards Fredrik.

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
Just received mine today. I must first say that Trig Instruments is definetley a good company to deal with considering I live in the US and they are from New Zealand. My first impressions were of the actual Led/head assembly. I was impressed with how small it is and how creative the heatsinking is while remaining asthically pleasing (function first, fashion second..but I figured I would let you know). The strap is extremely tight, although it can be remedied with some un-stitching and re-stitching, I don't really like the lack of adjustment. As for the switch, as mentioned above it is rather difficult to use and will probably prove difficult to use in extreme cold conditions or with gloves. Now for the beam info....drumroll please... Freakin' Fantastic!!!! The power save mode to my eyes is slightly less bright than my infinity ultra. The medium setting is about as bright or brighter than my Yukon, but with a MUCH nicer beam. High Mode destroys all my LED lights except the Trios enhanced XO3. The beam pattern is relatively tight, but is soooo nice and smooth. As for what I don't really like is the battery holder configuration. As mentioned above it is different than the photo on Silva's site with the helical cable being used to attach the headlamp to the battery compartment. This would be ok, but is much to long and the extra kinda just flops around. The worst thing to me is that the battery compartments are joined by a cable approx. 2 inches long and does not help with the adjustment of the strap (This should be done with a small helical cable). I really like the beam of the light, but I am on the hunt for a new strap to see if I like it more, but if I can't find one it's off to the BST section.

Swede

Newly Enlightened
And I got my L1 yesterday...

After a quick search for reviews I found this forum and
got amazed that there actually existed a forum for people
interested in flashlights. But, after a while I suddenly
realized, maybe I'm a flashaholic too? And guess what, I
came to the conclusion that ... I am =)

Anyhow, I'm so pleased with the Silva L1. Last night I found
myself standing at the balcony with my headlamp turned on,
looking out over the fields. The performance of this little
tiny lamp was absolutely stunning. It's hard to describe,
but I've never seen such a white light yet with a well
defined beam.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey flashdeze, can you translate the review from swedish to English please??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif I would like to read it very much.

Swede

Newly Enlightened
I made a post at their forum. If they can provide the
test in some format, then I can translate.

But there might be a chance that the material is copyrighted
and then I guess they can't put it on the Internet.

Regards, Swede