Thoughts on how best to liquidate my flashlight and accessories....

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I'm at a point where it looks like I'll never be able to enjoy the flashlights and accessories that I've collected over the years..And while that makes me sad, having enjoyed finding them, my situation is now such that keeping the vast majority of them will no longer be feasible.

So what to do?

I don't have an inventory to share beyond what I have in my memory. Things like NOS parts, like the Ray-O-Vac (maybe Eveready?) glass lens replacements; flashlight bulb displays with NOS bulbs; a variety of USA made flashlights, some used and some still NIB....Some lanterns.....And plenty more...

Guess what I am hoping is that I could find someone who might be able to consign this stuff...Probably a dream....I used to eBay, but my situation makes that a difficult problem....

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated....

Many Thanks, Rick :)

dakeller1218

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I'm at a point where it looks like I'll never be able to enjoy the flashlights and accessories that I've collected over the years..And while that makes me sad, having enjoyed finding them, my situation is now such that keeping the vast majority of them will no longer be feasible.

So what to do?

I don't have an inventory to share beyond what I have in my memory. Things like NOS parts, like the Ray-O-Vac (maybe Eveready?) glass lens replacements; flashlight bulb displays with NOS bulbs; a variety of USA made flashlights, some used and some still NIB....Some lanterns.....And plenty more...

Guess what I am hoping is that I could find someone who might be able to consign this stuff...Probably a dream....I used to eBay, but my situation makes that a difficult problem....

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated....

Many Thanks, Rick :)
Do you have any Kel-Lite flashlights?

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
I'd say eBay (buy it now) would be a good way to clear out your inventory.
Thanks, but my situation is not "eBay friendly" right now.
But you bring up a good point. How would I find a way to value this stuff? Just wing it? Or is there a better way? Wish I had more time for this....

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Value is what someone wants to pay for it. I have seen the same lights on ebay go for 300 from one seller and 100 from the next. It just depends on how bad someone wants it and how long you want to wait.

3_gun

Enlightened
NOS if still in packaging can sell well because of us old guys who never want to throw anything out if we think we can "fix it" weather true or not .. LOL

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rik, do you have any Kel-Lites?

Don Keller
Don, gotta a large head K-L still has your plain brown box. Can you date this big boy?
IMG_20220613_110027744_HDR.jpg
Switch housing if I didn't know better looks like bakelite.. and is bulb socket designed by Edison?
IMG_20220613_105439064_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
99% of what I have is sealed up and in climate controlled storage (and not readily available), so I'll get at least some of it and take a "group photo" and get your thoughts on it...Many Thanks!

turbodog

Flashaholic
I know you are not giving it all away, but it might help narrow the discussion if you tell what's important here...

top prices but slow sales
less money but bulk sell to someone
less money but consign

If I were in this situation... start with a rough list, search ebay for prices on closed sales, and then you will better see what viable options are.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think eBay is still your best option by a long shot. If you don't want to do it yourself, then a consignment seller who is familiar selling niche collectibles (as opposed to someone who mostly sells iPhones or power tools or whatever.) They'd probably list the valuable items individually and group less valuable ones into lots. Maybe toss some stuff up on Esty for the hipsters. Only downside is you'll be paying 30-50% commission. The majority of your potential buyers probably aren't even on forums like CPF where you could advertise to them directly.

Determining an actual fair market value gets harder the smaller your market gets. A known flashlight with people who collect it will have some buying history. eBay's Terapeak research tool gives you two years of inside sales history for that kind of thing. Something unique or just unknown could be worthless one day or priceless another, depending on who's buying.

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
I think eBay is still your best option by a long shot. If you don't want to do it yourself, then a consignment seller who is familiar selling niche collectibles (as opposed to someone who mostly sells iPhones or power tools or whatever.) They'd probably list the valuable items individually and group less valuable ones into lots. Maybe toss some stuff up on Esty for the hipsters. Only downside is you'll be paying 30-50% commission. The majority of your potential buyers probably aren't even on forums like CPF where you could advertise to them directly.

Determining an actual fair market value gets harder the smaller your market gets. A known flashlight with people who collect it will have some buying history. eBay's Terapeak research tool gives you two years of inside sales history for that kind of thing. Something unique or just unknown could be worthless one day or priceless another, depending on who's buying.
I know you are not giving it all away, but it might help narrow the discussion if you tell what's important here...

top prices but slow sales
less money but bulk sell to someone
less money but consign

If I were in this situation... start with a rough list, search ebay for prices on closed sales, and then you will better see what viable options are.
Frankly, I'd be more willing to consign with someone knowledgeable and reputable. A bulk sale if it were to someone fair. And I don't want to be unfair to anyone.

I have other items that I'll need to let go of as well. Optical stuff including a few rare cameras, binoculars and telescopes. That's after this flashlight adventure! :)

As long as it is fair to all, I'm satisfied. Thanks...

Last edited:

rick1959

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I agree that eBay or something like that, might get the best dollar return. I' joined eBay in early 1998 and have sold stuff over the years. More recent years seem like things have gotten away from the original intent.
And, my current circumstances don't support much eBay selling, so I'm more to the idea of consignment. Let someone else get a fair cut for their effort and I find the stuff a good home.

Yeah, I've seen the prices of stuff swing wildly on eBay when someone see's a high price for a sold item and then a bunch of folks "pig pile" in and glut the market....

I'm working at doing this thoughtfully and carefully. No falling all over myself to get rid of it. Just being patient... Thanks...