Thrunite TN35 (MT-G2, 3x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
And finally, here is the pattern on the hotspot. I tried it outdoors and it is noticeable to me. Somewhat distracting to be honest. But I'm OCD :)
da31a43ca852a6761a14c5a47e68ee4f.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
And finally, here is the pattern on the hotspot. I tried it outdoors and it is noticeable to me. Somewhat distracting to be honest. But I'm OCD :)
Artifacts do happen on some lights (typically due to precise focusing of the relfector - especially an issue on smooth reflectors). If you find it distracting in real life, you may want to consider returning and replacing.

N1TRO

Newly Enlightened

I got mine for chrissy :twothumbs and its bloody awesome! anyways, on mine I can see the die as well but on if i'm close to a wall or something, outside its not noticeable unless you look for it on the grass, etc and once its a decent distance away from you I have never noticed it although I haven't gone looking for it because I was so amazed ;).

N1TRO

Newly Enlightened
Artifacts do happen on some lights (typically due to precise focusing of the relfector - especially an issue on smooth reflectors). If you find it distracting in real life, you may want to consider returning and replacing.

You're absolutely right.
It's only really noticeable at certain distances (realitvely close 2 - 5 ish m) and after that it starts blending in. It can only be really seen for me on smooth matt surfaces.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're absolutely right.
It's only really noticeable at certain distances (realitvely close 2 - 5 ish m) and after that it starts blending in. It can only be really seen for me on smooth matt surfaces.

And because this kind of light is not the main choice for use at a few meters distance at smooth surfaces it's probably not an issue at all in practise I think! Congrats to a great light and enjoy! :thumbsup:

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
Had mine replaced. The pattern on the hotspot is identical. But the outer ring on the periphery of the spill is almost gone on this one. Great powerful headlight. :)

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
The faint dimple on the hotspot don't bother me at all, it is a result of the most beautiful LED's big dome, but the outer ring bothers me quite a bit, it is a result of bad machining sharp edge on the inside of the stainless steel bezel, that sharp edge reflects the light to the outer side, it goes away when you take the bezel off, i have a plan to sort it out but i am lazy, but the light is my no1 pick for going into the woods or out in the garden, i can't say how much i love my TN35 tint and performance, i don't notice anything in the hotspot when outdoor, but here's some pics of mine's bad very sharp outer ring, it is also a lot more obvious and sharp in real than on camera, but i don't care knowing that i can sort it out anytime.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
What edge exactly do you think causes this?

There is two bumps that holds the silicon o-ring in place inside the bezel, one on the out side of the bezel that is associated with screw threads, and the other is from the inside towards the centre where the beam comes out through the lense, the inside one is a bit more protruding than it should, thus it is blocking a tiny bit of the beams outer spill border, and the sharper (less well made) the 90 degree edge of that protrusion is (like in my sample) the sharper and brighter the outer lighting circle is being.

It needs to be handcrafted, it won't entirely go a way but i think it can be reduced so much, it needs craving with patient and precision, the cleaner the handy work the better the result, i plan to buy a fine knife sharpener and sort it out slowly, i think it is going to be an easy task, hopefully..

Your replacement sample seems OK, that means better edge (it is a lottery and i think they picked up a good replacement sample for you), it is a grate light to buy, i'm very happy with mine, although that circle caused me to dissemble the head and i am a OCD patient, i cleaned a couple dust particles from the reflector on the way with ear cotton pickers gently, but couple of them wasn't dust and ended up having two faint scratches on my reflector, but it is fine (those LEDs are usually combined with orange peel reflectors), plus for some reason it is throwing farther after the scratches, for real i don't know why!! :laughing:

ATB, it's a great light.. I love mine.

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
Here's the outer ring source in both TN 32 / 35, the sharp edge is right in front of the silicon o ring, you can see the difference in strength, it might be either different machining of the bezels, or the bezels are the same and the brighter and more floody beam coming out of the MT-G2 in TN35 is causing the difference in strength (brightness) of the outer rings, but both are existing because of the sharp edge on both bezel.

image.jpg

TN35 is the only light i opened its glass though it was unnecessary thing to do (my big mistake), the dust and one of the cotton scratches on its reflector is showing in the picture, you can notice how much cleaner the reflector of TN32 (which i didn't even tried to unscrew its bezel), but those cotton scratches are very hard to be seen looking through the glass when the light is off, but on camera i was surprised how obvious it looks, it's sad as TN35 has the shiniest and smoothest reflector out there IMO.

P.S. The big dust particles are only on the outside of the lenses.

Last edited:

Lucent

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Heck of a review, I like the more natural looking color in this light, I think I might have to jump on this. I did have a question for anyone?

Does anyone know what material the reflector is made from, and also has there been any long term extended tests with these types of lights to see if blemishes develop in\on the reflector?

Thank You for the great review!

Lucent

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Does anyone know what material the reflector is made from, and also has there been any long term extended tests with these types of lights to see if blemishes develop in\on the reflector?
Most of these types of lights use a polished aluminum reflector. It's been a long time since I've seen a plastic one outside a budget build.

I wouldn't be worried about any blemishes to the reflector from use over time (although I would also counsel not to every try and clean one, as you would likely just destroy the shiny surface).

And :welcome:

Senator

Newly Enlightened
I've had my TN35 for a few months now...does anyone else find the that the tail switch is "difficult" to use? I don't mean that the switch is hard to push, just that no matter how I hold the light, it hurts to push the button. Either the rim of the light rubs into my thumb, or I try to back off, and I have to bend my thumb at some extreme angle...

I'm just curious if anyone else has the same gripe? Other than that, it's a nice light, but I'll be honest, I might have made a different decision if I knew I wouldn't like the tail switch. Maybe I just have sensitive thumbs...or am getting old. Or both.

Sen

ven

Flashaholic
I find its easier to just click it on when in use and have in standby , then just use the control ring for output.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Senator,

I agree. A tail switch is not comfortable for frequently use with such a large body diameter as TN35.
I think it's more intended as a main switch and then using the control ring until you want to turn it off permanently for that occasion of use.

Last edited:

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
Had my first real world use of the tn35 and it was hugely satisfying. What a bright light!!!
122a41c5a113c4d702ef91aa1fc7e940.jpg

Lexel

Enlightened
I have modded a TN31 to XHP50.2, but the driver seems to have some Output voltage safety feature and does not power up
The drivers are identical in size and control ring just power different LEDs TN31 was XML2

I need to change very likely only one voltage divider

So I would need a high res picture of this driver so I can read all resistor values