Tiniest of tinies...

HKJ

Flashaholic
Re: Tiniest of tiny's..

Are any of these small AAA's clickies?

The only ones I have seen are the Leatherman and some DX models, but they are not the smallest AAA lights:

DSC_3522.jpg

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would be a good idea to put a code tag around your table, it makes it possible to align the columns. To edit it: copy it to notepad and use a fixed with font.

Why do you like the firefly? Do you want the light with the smallest diameter or just the smalles light?

Wow thanks, HKJ! This is awesome!

The main reason I like the FireFli is because it is a great necklace carry. Lots of people use neck carry, but I specifically want something small enough to be carried on my necklace like this:

Neck-1.jpg

For comparison:
IMG_4585.jpg

That's the FireFli on the left, then the Wee, then the Aeon, then a AA.
Code:
 [I]               Length          Diameter        Volume:
Firefli        38mm            7mm             1462mm^3
KD             42mm           10mm             3299mm^3
LaPetit        23.25mm        14.25mm          3681mm^3
Eddie          50mm           10mm             3926mm^3
AUNOC          67mm            9.5mm           4751mm^3
Nano           37mm           13mm             4910mm^3
Wee            34mm           15mm             6007mm^3
Mako           68mm           13mm             9024mm^3
LD01           73.5mm         14mm           11,314mm^3
Aeon           53.3mm         17.7mm         13,108mm^3
EZAA           83.0mm         16.6mm         17,963mm^3
[/I]
Also, I added the NiteCore EZAA to this chart. Ugh! It's pretty big!!

Compare-1.jpg

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/22916-LD01-vs-EZAA-vs-Aeon-vs-Box-Of-Matches-vs-FireFli

Hmmm....

Last edited:

flasherByNight

Enlightened

hmm, makes me wonder if anyone has replaced the "flash" aka the flashlight w.an LED.

Anyone who has an HTC phone knows there's alot of hackers out there...
(Software of course, removing/replacing the camera, replacing the speaker....etc). Reminds me of (My idea) of using the flash as a morse code translator...anyhow OT

danielo_d

Enlightened

Here's something I saw at Target:

cliphanger_01-vi.jpg

It was on the end cap where all the other "As Seen On TV" products were.
It was awhile back but it was around $9.
Buddy of mine had one on his Blackberry Pearl. He seemed to like it.
Just a thought. It has a 5mm LED that seemed pretty bright. Not sure about battery replacement, though...
This came to mind when someone mentioned glueing Photon Freedom [or Fauxton] to the phone.

Danno

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened

applevision - Could you add the Drake to the list? I would love to see how it compares in size and volume to the other mini-lights. I know the Draco is way too big, but could you add that too?

gollum

Enlightened

The only ones I have seen are the Leatherman and some DX models, but they are not the smallest AAA lights:

DSC_3522.jpg
that black tank007 from DX is quite nice for a cheap light...
the clickie is metal and feel good , its a bit loud thou.

btw thats a lot of AAA lights you got there :)

gorn

Enlightened

Try a Peak one LED Matterhorn HP with a 10180 rechargeable battery, 40 Candela with a lug body in HA, Brass or Stainless Steel. Small, cheep to run and bullet proof.

Curt

I carry a brass one of these in my pocket all the time. Great little light. It is about the same size as my Wee at a fraction of the price. I do have a La Petite Killer on the way so we shall see if it bumps the Peak. I doubt it though. The Peak is unnoticeable in my pocket and the LPK will go nice on a titanium bead chain.

YuccaPatrol

Newly Enlightened

I sure do love my titanium wee. Wear it around my neck and don't even know it is there until I need it.

If I hadn't received it as a gift, I would probably save some $$$ and buy the streamlight nano as my super tiny necklace flashlight.

deusexaethera

Banned

Wow thanks, HKJ! This is awesome!

The main reason I like the FireFli is because it is a great necklace carry. Lots of people use neck carry, but I specifically want something small enough to be carried on my necklace like this:

Neck-1.jpg
Technically speaking, that's a neckchain, not necklace, but I'll let it slide.

What I won't let slide is that your pic shows the Wee being shorter (though wider) and also much brighter, yet it isn't on your neckthing.

Melven

Newly Enlightened

Hey guys,

now that i've setup my wife with Fenix L0D and me with generic DX AAA R2 as keychain lights, I want something even smaller. Today I was walking around in dark rooms, and thought to myself - what other thing I have with myself even more often than my keys? And the answer was - cellphone. So I thought, what if I could hang a tiny light on it? Something like CR2.. or even some button cells.. I guess it wouldnt be possible to power any modern leds this way, but if I could get enough light to navigate in a dark room, it would be amazing!

Do you guys have any idea of such light?

Thanks! :)

I have an LED light built into my Blackberry Bold - it is the flash for the camera, but if you go into the movie camera mode you can turn it on and leave it on (Space bar) - it is a nice bright wall of light - very useful for the few times I don't have my LOD with me.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Code:
 [I]               Length          Diameter        Volume:
Eddie          50mm           10mm             3926mm^3
AUNOC          67mm            9.5mm           4751mm^3
Mako           68mm           13mm             9024mm^3
EZAA           83.0mm         16.6mm         17,963mm^3
[/I]
Hmmm....

How about the Draco and Drake. Not sure where they fit in here

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

DSC_3522.jpg

What are the lumens for the Killer - that one looks pretty cool!

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 to the Photon Freedom. As suggested above, sticking it on the back of a cell phone is a nice idea.

If you are looking for a CR2, the JIL is making a comeback .

Here is an old pic of some CR2 lights for comparison (the 2 on each far side are 123 lights).
side9eb.jpg

The Direct Drive Jil is the 3rd from the left.
The new ones will be made from Ti so may be pricy though.

Last edited:

ypsifly

Enlightened

I love my Nano. The SL Key Mate is a nice little light too. I keep mine on a neck lanyard and it has a strong little clip on the side. Some cellphones have a post you can tie a light to. The Nano and KM would work for this.

greenLED

Flashaholic

HKJ, that's a *sweet* collection of small lights.

I think the Drake is an amazing light for its size. Here it is next to my CR2 (also tiny):

glsdrakesizecomparo5zl2.jpg

MKLight

Enlightened

hmm, makes me wonder if anyone has replaced the "flash" aka the flashlight w.an LED.

Anyone who has an HTC phone knows there's alot of hackers out there...
(Software of course, removing/replacing the camera, replacing the speaker....etc). Reminds me of (My idea) of using the flash as a morse code translator...anyhow OT

I have an LED light built into my Blackberry Bold - it is the flash for the camera, but if you go into the movie camera mode you can turn it on and leave it on (Space bar) - it is a nice bright wall of light - very useful for the few times I don't have my LOD with me.

The Samsung Omnia has a shortcut to turn the flash form the camera on. You can set it for different time frames - minimum of 10 seconds. You can set it in the menu. To turn it on, you press down on the volume key for a couple seconds. It's all flood and lights up a room nicely...maybe a little too bright for many situations...like in a movie theater...lol

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

applevision - Could you add the Drake to the list? I would love to see how it compares in size and volume to the other mini-lights. I know the Draco is way too big, but could you add that too?

Hey Flashlight Aficionado and Tixx, please find the Drake and Draco included in the chart here:

Code:
 [I]               Length          Diameter        Volume:[/I][FONT=courier new]
Eddie          50mm           10mm             3926mm^3[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
Drake          33mm           13mm             4380mm^3[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
AUNOC          67mm           9.5mm            4751mm^3
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]Draco          47mm           13mm             6238mm^3[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]Mako           68mm           13mm             9024mm^3
EZAA           83.0mm         16.6mm         17,963mm^3[/FONT]

Wow the drake is tiny!!
:hitit:

The only reason I don't have one is because I have a Wee and I felt like the Drake/Draco ordering page gave me a headache... Maybe it's time to pull some trigger...:devil:

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened

Boy is the Drake small! I thought it was bigger than the Wee.

I am now going to have to seriously contemplate buying the Drako. Just a bit bigger than my Wee, but better in every way (from the reviews and options)

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

Technically speaking, that's a neckchain, not necklace, but I'll let it slide.

What I won't let slide is that your pic shows the Wee being shorter (though wider) and also much brighter, yet it isn't on your neckthing.

Hee hee, deusexaethera, your insight is very keen, indeed!

I love my Lummi Wee, I really do! The thing is that the width is what takes the cake when wearing a light on your neckchain/lace/thing. As it is, even with the slimmer-than-a-pencil FireFli, occasionally my little son will lay his head on my chest and say "Ow!" because of the light. Unlike a medal or a smaller pendant, the cylindrical light can really hurt. Same goes for if you are leaning up aginst something or carrying a large object, and even while sleeping sometimes I roll on it and it hurts! I'm not even a thin man, but you don't need much metal on your sternum to cause pain.

That said, the other side is that I wear T-shirts a lot and I really don't like the bulge coming through. This REALLY happened with the Wee (see: I tried it!) because of the way it hangs...

So that's what got me on my quest... and here we are... I'm hoping that the custom light maker that I've spoken with will take on a project to make the tiniest light--in the spirit of the FireFli but even cooler!

Latest posts