Tired of Fenix Lights Failing

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I only owned two Fenix's. The first models that came out early on. Only problem I had was the contact plate in the taii cap coming loose, causing no light, or erratic performance. Easy fix using a needle nose pliers to tighten it back up. Does Fenix still use a contact plate that can be adjusted?

Bill

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah they do have that retaining ring on a good amount of lights still.

tom-

Enlightened
Ok-so Malkoff/Surefire (with the exception of a single model which will set one back over a g note) make products that in no way even approach the periphery of what the Asian makers offer and yet some will comment on the built quality and perceived reliability of one v the others-don't quite get it. As for the 'failure' rates; to be accurate not only must the number of sales be factored in but so must the capabilities-with regard to the latter-it would be similar to comparing the Model T to any late model vehicle after all they both did the same thing correct? Keep in mind this-with simplicity comes reliability, all other factors being equal AND increased performance equates to increased stress-these two facts should not be dismissed or even argued.

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Can somebody tell me, when i can expect a new Fenis Superthrower?

All their other lights, are crappy lights for me...well underpowered, as well as the old outdated TK61.

Their new superthroewr is way overdue.

ven

Flashaholic
Only Fenix light to fail of many I have had is the e25. This was DOA and Fenix sent a new head out, in fact they sent the later head out with burst mode. Out of the Chinese brands I remember vinh stating(and still sticks by it) that Fenix is of higher quality inside(out too as decent ano) than other brands. I think one of the most impressive was the tk51, very solid light.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only "bulletproof" brands I have personal experience with are Surefire and HDS. You can't go wrong with either one. I've also found the much maligned Maglite brand to be surprisingly resilient if you want something relatively inexpensive and readily available.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
ive also never had an issue with a fenix failing from a fall. my nitecore ec20, has a blinking issue from a 2 foot drop on wood floor, kinda dissapointed that happened. only failure i've ever had with fenix was due to an eneloop off gassing and puffing out side switch rubber boot, which I could not get back into the head, but I would blame the battery first. Fenix makes good stuff imo

tom-

Enlightened
I have found reviews-sans any run times- on the Malkoff 'Hound' and 'Wildcat' and can only wonder; are you guys serious? Malkoff I am certain, like Surefire are very very good lights-, for what they manage to accomplish heck they may even be the best in their class but it certainly seems that my TK22, at less than half the cost provides about four times the light AND my LD60 running on ONE tube/emitter-with 2/3 of the batteries missing, kicks butt big time.

My posts are not intended to slam any maker, I KNOW the great folks at Surefire provide outstanding quality lights and I can attest to the incredible level of customer service long after the sale-many years in my case similarly I am certain that Mr. Malkoff is a first rate fellow and his crew are outstanding in every way BUT to compare these two Companies (with regard to product quality and especially to performance) is flawed-simply due to the performance difference- in every manner shape and form and I hope the implications are unintentional.

Have at me boys, if I am incorrect I will be the first to acknowledge it-after I am proven to be in error.

I neglected to inquire as to the run times compared to output levels, in general- for Malkoff, as the data seems to be difficult to find it would seem reasonable to presume the results are unimpressive.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Without trying to take off topic and as much as I like Fenix as a brand(far more after vinh has breathed on them), malkoff is a different market. Solid, dependable, reliable, various tint options and UI to suit life/death situations. Being realistic(and I like my high output lights) day to day uses that malkoff aim at ,do not require 6000lm for a few minutes and mainly very cool tints. Fenix offer now 5yr warrenty(pretty good!) malkoff is for life!

I own far more Fenix than malkoff so I am not biased, just a different tool for a different aplication.

After all, who would buy a $300+ light(HDS) that puts just 200lm out......have to be crazy hey:)

Its not just about lumens, it's also the form and strength along with flexibility to custom to ones requirements. Not to mention the best customer service on top!

tom-

Enlightened
Fair enough and I cede to your experience and judgement however -I- would most certainly would NOT plop down $300 usd for the example you cite when I can obtain so many others of similar or enhanced performance (Pelican, Streamlight) for a small fraction of those dollars. These will last at least as long as I will -and those extra dollars will provide alot of beer/poppers/diesel fuel/petro and or -other- very necessary things.

If a relatively low lumen/time-dual level flashlight is what floats ones boat then go for it-as mentioned one maker offers potted parts, apparently that is very important to a segment of our community. As for this ignorant cretin - potted, schmaatted-I don't need no stinkin potted parts.:D

I should have included this:

http://www.hackaday.com/2012/06/04/potting-electronics-with-silicone/

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have found reviews-sans any run times- on the Malkoff 'Hound' and 'Wildcat' and can only wonder; are you guys serious? Malkoff I am certain, like Surefire are very very good lights-, for what they manage to accomplish heck they may even be the best in their class but it certainly seems that my TK22, at less than half the cost provides about four times the light AND my LD60 running on ONE tube/emitter-with 2/3 of the batteries missing, kicks butt big time.

My posts are not intended to slam any maker, I KNOW the great folks at Surefire provide outstanding quality lights and I can attest to the incredible level of customer service long after the sale-many years in my case similarly I am certain that Mr. Malkoff is a first rate fellow and his crew are outstanding in every way BUT to compare these two Companies (with regard to product quality and especially to performance) is flawed-simply due to the performance difference- in every manner shape and form and I hope the implications are unintentional.

Have at me boys, if I am incorrect I will be the first to acknowledge it-after I am proven to be in error.

I neglected to inquire as to the run times compared to output levels, in general- for Malkoff, as the data seems to be difficult to find it would seem reasonable to presume the results are unimpressive.

Yea we are serious. :) Malkoff tends to be very very accurate or even underrated with their run times/outputs IMHO. Also they run for longer than listed as there is a long direct drive taper once the regulation fails. I have both Fenix and Malkoff and find the runtimes all things considered comparable. Real runtimes for the real stated amount of time and then even more. They don't need to step down etc etc etc. Then there is the potted electronics etc etc etc which is one reason why we don't see threads like this about Malkoff. Just don't drop one on your foot as the mass is serious. LOL!

markr6

Flashaholic
I own far more Fenix than malkoff so I am not biased, just a different tool for a different aplication.

I skimmed this thread and was going to post a similar response. It comes down to the right tool for the job.

I love my Malkoff MD2, but not for all applications. I would never take it backpacking, for instance. Instead, something half the weight, half the size with more modes, a clip (included), better throw, etc. is coming instead. A lot of Fenix lights would apply.

I own very few Fenix lights because each model has at least one big problem with me. There always seems to be a deal-breaker, which is unfortunate because I think their quality is way above the rest of your mainstream brands.

albino

Newly Enlightened
FWIW: I have beat the heck out of one of my Fenix PD lights, never had a problem with the light.

Got soooo many Fenixes as i'm the only Lighthead ;-) in the Family (i got a set of Lights (over the Decade) for all beloved Family and Friends.

My and surrounding experience of the years: All 4sevens (about 8 lights) did fail/stop (as for today) non of the Fenixes did ever failed (even a "superold" AA-light that did run on 14500 for all that years!)
Had no issues with Nitecores but most old Magligtes (non led) did crack including 2 lights with AA/AAA Batteries that did "bleedout")

at the moment i'm getting for all those people several Jetbeam mini-1's for there keychains (15-19$ / piece). i'm curious how the will last.
never had issues with surefire but sold them all (to me, there just to pricey for the bang).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix seems to be losing a step this and last model years. From lights that shut off for 2 seconds as you press hold for turbo to the just-in my opinion-very poor variable focus design of the FD40. There are other recent models that just make me go "huh"? It is as if other makers lured the Fenix design department off with fat contracts. Malkoff's are just plain bulletproof.

tom-

Enlightened
What are the two most popular or most well regarded Malkoff lights?

tom-

Enlightened
you'd better get over there right away, in post #22 someone mentioned PflexPro:poke:

billcoe

Newly Enlightened
you'd better get over there right away, in post #22 someone mentioned PflexPro:poke:

So is the guy who started this thread bashing Fenix ever going to come back and say that he had a bad battery? I just had the same thing occur with my new Nitecore MH20GT and it looks like I need to trash that company for bad quality. Has a Nitecore is crap thread been started yet? Oh, once I slipped the new Keeppower in there it was bliss again, but I'll admit to being pissed off whne the bad battery was in there and I pressed the button and the light didn't work.