TITAN PLUS

nbp

Flashaholic
No lathe here, would just be lots of elbow grease. What's the worst that could happen? :huh:

Bucur

Enlightened
No lathe here, would just be lots of elbow grease. What's the worst that could happen? :huh:

The worst that could happen would be ending up with a surface that is not plane (undulations) or a plane that is not perpendicular to the body of the flashlight. Brass is a soft metal so it would not be intimidating to grind with a coarse file. The challenge would be filing it flat and perpendicular. Personally, I would not attempt this if I did not have access to a lathe.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Awesome thread going on here. I just got my SF.Titan+ 2 days ago and am more than satisfied with it.

Question on the lanyard cap end. Does one need a Channellock to unscrew it?

bartko09

Enlightened
Does anyone know what the thread pitch is on the Titan & Titan Plus? I believe it's 33TPI but looking for confirmation. Thanks!!

Bucur

Enlightened
Awesome thread going on here. I just got my SF.Titan+ 2 days ago and am more than satisfied with it.

Question on the lanyard cap end. Does one need a Channellock to unscrew it?

Inserting a screw driver or any rod that would pass through the hook would do job w/o damaging the anodising.

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah it's hard to get purchase on it as it's kinda slippery. Could also try wrapping a wider rubber band around it.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Just got my Titan plus and I like it. A bit big for an AAA light but then it feels very solid for an aluminum light. The beam profile is great but a bit greenish. I also wish you could remove the tail cap keychain thingee. But overall a very nice light.

doctordun

Enlightened
Just got my Titan plus and I like it. A bit big for an AAA light but then it feels very solid for an aluminum light. The beam profile is great but a bit greenish. I also wish you could remove the tail cap keychain thingee. But overall a very nice light.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is a brass light and that is supposed to aid in heat dissipation.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wish you could remove the tail cap keychain thingee.

imo a hacksaw and some sanding will get it done
some pics here
however, I just learned that Brass has risk of Lead exposure:
"ordinary brass keys like you'll find in your pocket or pocketbook to lock and unlock your house door – may expose you to the toxic chemical lead"

this is a brass light and that is supposed to aid in heat dissipation.

I also thought Brass was similar to copper, but its actually not as good at heat dissipation at all. It is also not as good at conducting electricity.

Copper conducts heat almost Twice as much as Aluminum
aluminum conducts heat about twice as much as Brass
brass about twice stainless
stainless twice as much as titanium

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...als-d_858.html
Copper conducts 223 BTU
Aluminum conducts 118 BTU
Brass conducts 64 BTU
Stainless conducts 26 BTU
Titanium conducts 13 BTU

You can see below that electrical conductivity follows similar ranking

===
I also thought Brass was an excellent conductor, and it is 2x better than Stainless, but, it is actually half as conductive as aluminum, and twice as heavy.

here is a chart from this page that says
"Brass however – which contains copper – is far less conductive because it is made up of additional materials that lower its conductivity, making it unsuitable for electrical purposes."

Material IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard)
RankingMetal% Conductivity*
1Silver (Pure)105%
2Copper100%
3Gold (Pure)70%
4Aluminum61%
5Brass28%
6Zinc27%
7Nickel22%
8Iron (Pure)17%
9Tin15%
10Phosphor Bronze15%
11Steel (Stainless included)3-15%
12Lead (Pure)7%
13Nickel Aluminum Bronze7%

So companies that sell us Brass lights, are not really doing us any heat or electrical conductivity favors, even though we all think Brass is similar to Copper, brass actually only conducts about 1/4 as well as copper.
hth

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] So companies that sell us Brass lights, are not really doing us any heat or electrical conductivity favors, even though we all think Brass is similar to Copper, brass actually only conducts about 1/4 as well as copper.
One big thing about brass is that it machines very easily - important for the manufacturing engineers at SF. On the other hand, copper is extraordinarily difficult to machine.

Also; for a fixed-size part, brass performs quite well for storing heat:
Thermal Specific _Den _"Thermal
conduct HeatCap _sity _volume"
(W / mK) (J / gK) (g/cc)_ (J/ccK)
Aluminum 250 __0.85 ___2.7___ 2.3
Brass..... 110 __0.38 ___8.6 ___3.2
Copper... 400 __0.39___ 9.0___ 3.5
Silver..... 430 __0.23 __10.5 ___2.4

"Thermal volume" is for a fixed-size part – i.e. an internally-mounted heatsink. For example, a 1 cubic centimeter brass part requires 3.2 joules of heat to raise it by 1 degree Kelvin (or Celsius).

Edit: Although I haven't actually held either model of Titan, I suspect that one of the reasons brass was chosen to provide a more premium 'hand feel' compared to more common aluminum AAA lights perhaps ??
Jurassic Park said:
"Is it heavy?"
"Yes"
"Then it's expensive."

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
copper is extraordinarily difficult to machine.
brass performs quite well for storing heat:
I suspect that one of the reasons brass was chosen to provide a more premium 'hand feel'

interesting points, here are some alternative interpretations :)

Lumintop has no problem machining the Copper Tool, Copper Worm, Copper Prometheus Beat, and Copper Maratac

imo storing heat is not a benefit when trying to move heat away from the LED. Stainless and Titanium have similar heat insulating properties.

imo Surefire chose brass because it is not going to get as warm as aluminum, when using the 300lumen mode.
Basically, they used a material with lower heat conductivity, and higher mass, which I think is intended to keep the light feeling cool in the users hand. But it accomplishes by storing heat, as you said, instead of dissipating it.

I suspect similar heat insulation motivation by Olight, in the 180 Lumen Brass i3s. That is a raw brass light, and as such exposes the user to Lead.

The Titan Plus has a Nickel plating that isolates the brass away from contact with the user.

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for all the details in this thread. This light is tempting, but looking closely at the measurements it would be too long for my own pocket carry, weight aside. My DQG AAA aluminum slim goes unnoticed in my pocket so it's always with me and the two brightness levels suffice for my humble needs. The measurements for the Titan Plus AAA are almost exactly the same as my EagleTac D25A, which is a AA, and I keep a lithium in that one as its supported, and very bright, it also has a rear clicky button, yet same length as Titan. By eye, it's volume/size is almost double the DQG, so even the EagleTac sits at home. The Titan can be had on Amazon for $73.00, so it's still tempting, but I am trying to resist as I doubt it will ever travel in my pocket, and would just be another small AAA in my modest collection. Thanks again for all the informational posts!

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm really liking this SF.Titan+ straightaway as soon as I received it. Pocketable EDC is no trouble. Comparison with my Kaweco AL Sport FP and the two batteries:

iuxcNvvl.jpg

Flash On Folks! :cool:

Ragnar

Newly Enlightened
I have had this light for a while now and I like it because I find myself carrying it more times than not. I have not done a full run to see how long the battery actually last nor have I figured out how often I need to recharge the battery or swap it out. I do swap it out once every couple of week and I always have an extra battery in my bag/car.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes, the AAA Titan Plus ( Titan-B ) is nickel-plated brass.

The AAA Titan ( Titan-A ) is hard-anodized aluminum.

That explains why it felt heavy for an aluminum light.

I like copper and brass lights, although I'm aware that brass isn't as good as copper for heat dissipation. But then I like stainless steel lights too which is even worse than brass, and titanium worse than stainless. But then I'm not a big fan of titanium lights despite it being as strong as steel at half the weight because of the often gritty feel to the threads.