TK-75, "Condensation/Fog under lens,again"

Capolini

Banned
I asked Fenix Store directly about this condensation issue on the TK75,and i received an explanation about it.It´s not exactly word for word,but i have sum the info i received here:

*The head of the TK75 lamp is not hermetically sealed from the rest of the light so when it is opened for replacing batteries air will exchange from the outside and be trapped in the light once closed.

*Because the volume of empty spacy in the light is significant the relative humidity of a users environment comes in to play. High humidity environment will produce the condensation. Now the condensation has yet to cause any failures in the the lights to date. Now to take into condensation a user who lets say is in a rainforest knows that just the location is more destructive to electronics than say a person living in a desert. The same should be applied when discussing this issue.

How to get rid of condensation it if appears:
*One shall running the light for 5 minutes(approximately) while standing on it's head and then remove the battery carrier and dropping in one of those silicone packets that absorbs moisture in the tube and leave it for a short while, then replace the battery carrier, all the while leaving the light on it's head. It takes several batter exchanges to gain the condensation back in the light,all depending on the surrounding humidity.

So the conclusion is that the condensation does not come from the factory process-it comes from humidity in the air and it is not harmful for the light. If this is correct,then users who lives in desert like areas with low humidity should experience low or no condensation at all,while users who lives in areas with high humidity should experience more condensation on their TK75.

It would be interesting for a comparison to hear feedback from owners who lives in different areas with different humidity how much(or any) condensation they have been experienced on their TK75.
I am not spending anymore time emailing them.

This is what I would tell them!

1. When the condensation forms I am 20, 30 or 40 minutes into a walk/hike,,,,so that one method of turning the light on for 5 minutes and then putting silica gel in it is useless to me! What I continue to do[ I should not have to] is to maintain the light with silica gel in the chamber and now keeping the batteries and the carrier in a sealed tupper ware with a silica packet when the light is NOT in use.

2. THIS IS SIMPLE!! WHY DON'T THEY HERMETICALLY SEAL THE HEAD?????????????????????????

I have spent a lot of time and also wasted energy on this!! I have come to ACCEPT THAT NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE ON THE MANUFACTURERS END,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IT IS LIKE TALKING TO A BRICK WALL or :dedhorse:

p.s There claim that the PROBLEM does not happen in the factory is BS!!! :thinking:

The moisture would NEVER get inside in the first place if it were built the way many other lights are who DO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE!! Again,,that would be to build it IN THE FACTORY so that it is hermetically sealed!!

I rest my case your honor!!
;)

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
It seems like the issue of condensation is because of the head of the TK75 is not hermetically sealed from the rest of the light. Not being an engineer, but i was thinking that if they should change the design a little and start to hermetically seal the head from the rest of light on the TK75, then it would solve the issue then? :thinking:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like the issue of condensation is because of the head of the TK75 is not hermetically sealed from the rest of the light. Not being an engineer, but i was thinking that if they should change the design a little and start to hermetically seal the head from the rest of light on the TK75, then it would solve the issue then? :thinking:

Making the head hermetically sealed would definitely increase the cost of the TK75. How much more would you be prepared to pay? Remember that this issue does not seem to bother the majority of TK75 owners that much, so should everyone have to pay more to satisfy the few who are unhappy?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Making the head hermetically sealed would definitely increase the cost of the TK75. How much more would you be prepared to pay? Remember that this issue does not seem to bother the majority of TK75 owners that much, so should everyone have to pay more to satisfy the few who are unhappy?

I don´t know how much extra each TK75 would cost if Fenix making the head hermetically sealed so it´s hard to answer how much extra one is prepared to pay. If the increase in cost would be small then it´s ok, but if the increase in cost would be significant higher then it would be better if the light remained as it is now.

Capolini

Banned

Just curious! ;)

Then how do "Most" competitors manage to have high powered lights WITHOUT this problem and they are reasonably priced???:thinking:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious! ;)

Then how do "Most" competitors manage to have high powered lights WITHOUT this problem and they are reasonably priced???:thinking:

Also curious...why did you choose the TK75 rather than one of the competitors?

dss_777

Enlightened
Just curious! ;)

Parsimony suggests this is just the result of "the law of unintended consequences".

I think you just have the "perfect storm" of engineering decisions/realities, environmental factors, and your use patterns that create this situation. I imagine that this condensation only occurs for some people and not others because there are enough differences that the perfect storm doesn't happen.

Think about all these factors: a large light body with lots of air-filled space, high heat output for prolonged periods, a large glass condensing surface, all in cooler conditions (night-time) in a place with higher humidity, etc.

If one or more of those factors was different enough, I bet it wouldn't show up. If this was Arizona, would it happen with this light? What if you purged the O2 from the light somehow? What if you did vent the light during use would it still happen?

You could test all those things. I would, but because I'm just curious, mostly...

Or, get a Malkoff Cool "Hound Dog" XM-L for throw, and call it good. ;)

Kabible

Enlightened
Man, just keep a silica packet from a pill bottle between the tail cap and battery cassette like I talked about in post #108 & #114! It works!!
For some folks in more humid climates, the light may simply needs a little tweak. Capolini, you live east of the Rocky mountain range where it's just plain humid and you like to run your TK75 hard. If you drive a car the way you run your TK75, it would need extra maintenance. A lot of extra maintenance. That's way race cars have pit crews standing by. Subwoofer explained the dynamics of your symptom beautifully in post #153. It all boils down to keeping the light dry inside which you're doing. Just use the pill bottle silica packet like I suggested as an extra measure. It WILL help. Read posts #108 and #114 again.
I have some pretty expensive firearms, most of which needed some kind of adjustment, different butt pad, some trigger work, tuning of the action, upgraded parts, etc. to suit me or to operate under certain conditions. I am VERY picky!! It's no big deal. The TK75 isn't a failure. It just isn't perfect. Neither is the Hubble space telescope. Look how much it cost. Nothing is perfect except God.
This post is in no way meant as criticism. However, aren't 6 pages on this subject enough when there is an explanation and a fix that have already been discussed?

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, sorry to hear that condensation remains a problem for some of you. It really sounded like you guys found a way to get it under control for a while there.

I do not know enough about rice and these lights to have an opinion! I have no experience with that!! I will say that I have heard many, many more say it works than ones who say it doesn't!

Did you know that I am a mediator? Not on here but in real life! I have helped settle a lot of disputes by being open minded, honest, realistic, fair and with a logical and compromising personality!

All I know is that I am going to try my best to have Fenix resolve it! If it becomes a waste of time and useless battle, then I surrender and hope the light continues to work!!:thumbsup:

It is wonderful to learn from each other and have some intellectual debates, even if it is over something that is petty in the "realm of Life"!

Have a great night everybody,I am still taking the TK-75 out tonight with my little Wolf/Husky! Maybe a miracle will happen and it won't condensate tonight!! By the way the condensation is a little bigger than a quarter sized piece that I think would continue to grow[saw some evidence of it] if I had my Battery ext. on it where Turbo lasts almost 3 hours!

Ciao,,, Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

[ot]Just curious, but how would you describe your professional style/personal demeanor as a mediator?

Capolini

Banned
Also curious...why did you choose the TK75 rather than one of the competitors?

oh,,,,a question with a question?! lol! I understand!! :laughing:

Please answer my question first!!

Seriously I would really like you to answer my question. I think it is a great question and reply to your answer.

I am a nice guy!! Here is my answer!

I did NOT know of any condensation issues with the TK-75,, and it is still a great light,,,,,,,that simple! I can read minds!! The next questions I have already answered several times!

This thread has exhausted all possibilities, taken all the action, yet[ read my signature Main HQ!!] Main HQ in China can care less! So where does that leave me[us?],,,,,,,,,Accept it and move on!;)

"Our serenity is directly proportional to our level of acceptance"

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Man, just keep a silica packet from a pill bottle between the tail cap and battery cassette like I talked about in post #108 & #114! It works!!
For some folks in more humid climates, the light may simply needs a little tweak. Capolini, you live east of the Rocky mountain range where it's just plain humid and you like to run your TK75 hard. If you drive a car the way you run your TK75, it would need extra maintenance. A lot of extra maintenance. That's way race cars have pit crews standing by. Subwoofer explained the dynamics of your symptom beautifully in post #153. It all boils down to keeping the light dry inside which you're doing. Just use the pill bottle silica packet like I suggested as an extra measure. It WILL help. Read posts #108 and #114 again.
I have some pretty expensive firearms, most of which needed some kind of adjustment, different butt pad, some trigger work, tuning of the action, upgraded parts, etc. to suit me or to operate under certain conditions. I am VERY picky!! It's no big deal. The TK75 isn't a failure. It just isn't perfect. Neither is the Hubble space telescope. Look how much it cost. Nothing is perfect except God.
This post is in no way meant as criticism. However, aren't 6 pages on this subject enough when there is an explanation and a fix that have already been discussed?

Explain the condensation issue to a person who got the NEW VERSION and within 10 minutes of Turbo condensation appeared??? He did not run it hard? He just used it for the first time!!!

This is the last time I will say this! What is most bothersome is through the help of all of you we figured out what the problem is. The bigger problem and frustrating part is that main HQ is in DENIAL!!

Solution is at the bottom of post #170 that I wrote before I saw this!

I still live most of you guys,,,but love woman more!!:shakehead

Where/when did I say that the TK-75 was a failure??! :huh:

ok,, ok,, enough with the analogies!! I know that[silica gel] and I am doing that! :popcorn:

To me analogies are a way people "Justify things into their way of thinking, disregarding the root and cause of the problem"! Especially when they use a multitude of them!

We have all done this!! When a persons father dies and he lived to be 98, some people[good intentions] will say, He lived a long life"! That does not make a person feel better! In a way, unintentionally, they are justifying his death!

ot here! ever read that book "When bad things happen to good people"?

Good news as I indicated in post #170,"Its all over"! :cool:

I am leaving for Italy on Monday,,, I might be checking in on you guys:wave:

Last edited:

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Ummmm, turn TK on its head in the on position and let run for 5 mins??? What mode? Low, med, high, turbo? Just curious if it would overheat and burn my kitchen table if left face down on turbo mode for 5 mins...

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Ummmm, turn TK on its head in the on position and let run for 5 mins??? What mode? Low, med, high, turbo? Just curious if it would overheat and burn my kitchen table if left face down on turbo mode for 5 mins...

I was not told wich mode one should run it on, but i think that high is enough. If one choose to run it on turbo mode for 5 minutes, then one have to make sure that the surface is resistent to heat, for example concrete floor or something like that. Otherwise i think that there will be burnmarks on the surface.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant to post earlier and say that I went camping recently, and overnight my TK75 was left in the corner of my tent. It was raining while I used it the night before, so it was wet and got pretty cold overnight (~40 degrees F or so). In the morning it was all fogged up, and turbo mode didn't work (it would immediately drop down to the next mode). Perhaps the turbo mode issue was just caused by the batteries being too cold? Either way, that was my first experience with the TK75 fogging up.

None of my other lights had the fogging problem. I had an LD01 hanging in a pouch in the tent, and my PD32UE was also fine. However, the PD32UE was on my belt holster so I don't really count that due to my body heat keeping it warmer.

I have never bothered to use the silica packs. Oh, and once I got home I checked the battery voltage for the TK75, and they were all around 4 V and turbo should have been fine. Turbo worked great at that point, so I'm assuming that the batteries were too cold to support turbo mode that morning? Maybe next time I'll just leave the light in my sleeping bag.

Capolini

Banned
hello tk75 owners with fog issues does your unit still fog up on winter? with out using silica packs?:poke:

Did you buy the light yet???

My original TK-75 fogged up year round, regardless of temperature.At that point I was NOT using any silica packets.

However, it NEVER caused and issue with the torch and it dissipates with in 10 minutes.

I would not worry it about it!!I started this thread and I got all the answers I needed. Everything you need to know about it has been discussed in the previous 173 posts!

If you have the torch, enjoy it!! If it ever became a serious problem, Fenix has a great warranty.Fenix outfitters gave me a FREE replacement after it was 10 months old,,,,,,no dealing with China on my part! Guess what??!! The replacement[my present torch!] also condensates when I do NOT use the Silica gel treatment!

THIS IS WHERE ACCEPTANCE COMES IN!

P.S. My new Olight M3X has condensation under the lens sometimes. It does NOT affect performance and dissipates with in 3 or 4 minutes after I turn it off.It is NOT hermetically sealed just like the TK-75!

It is a great torch. I could have sent it back. I would be willing to bet a replacement would do the same thing when You run it on constant "High" like me.

So, I have learned in life and on here[in regards to torches], sometimes we just need to accept things and enjoy them as is. Obviously if it became a serious issue, that is when you make sure you have a good warranty!

Last edited:

den331

Newly Enlightened
just ordering it now i gona buy it on fenixtactical because i'm from canada . oh i notice today my jetbeam BC40 fog up the (outside lens) not in use on my back pack it was -1c outside and on my pd32UE using ncr18650a panasonic cells unprotected cannot kick in on turbo just high mode . and i warmed the cells to my hands and try it again it kicked in to turbo . winter really affects the batteries just sharing my experience LOL:D oh by the way now your not using silica gel how many minutes on turbo before your lens fog up and what room temperature was that?
Did you buy the light yet???, thanks for sharing your experience very helpfull:D

My original TK-75 fogged up year round, regardless of temperature.At that point I was NOT using any silica packets.

However, it NEVER caused and issue with the torch and it dissipates with in 10 minutes.

I would not worry it about it!!I started this thread and I got all the answers I needed. Everything you need to know about it has been discussed in the previous 173 posts!

If you have the torch, enjoy it!! If it ever became a serious problem, Fenix has a great warranty.Fenix outfitters gave me a FREE replacement after it was 10 months old,,,,,,no dealing with China on my part! Guess what??!! The replacement[my present torch!] also condensates when I do NOT use the Silica gel treatment!

P.S. My new Olight M3X has condensation under the lens sometimes. It does NOT affect performance and dissipates with in 3 or 4 minutes after I turn it off.It is NOT hermetically sealed just like the TK-75!

It is a great torch. I could have sent it back. I would be willing to bet a replacement would do the same thing when You run it on constant "High" like me.

So, I have learned in life and on here[in regards to torches], sometimes we just need to accept things and enjoy them as is. Obviously if it became a serious issue, that is when you make sure you have a good warranty!

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hallelujah!! :thumbsup:

Enjoy your lights and stop worrying so much.

:takeit:

Capolini

Banned
Hallelujah!! :thumbsup:

Enjoy your lights and stop worrying so much.

:takeit:

Thanks Sub!!!!!!!

However, I am still worried/concerned about one thing!!!! You never answered my question in post # 165!

You answered my question with a question!! That is classified as a defense mechanism which is a "Form Of Control"!!!!

:shakehead:eek::thinking::laughing::laughing::laughing::crackup::crackup::twothumbs

Have a nice day,,,come to America for Thanksgiving!!!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Sub!!!!!!!

However, I am still worried/concerned about one thing!!!! You never answered my question in post # 165!

You answered my question with a question!! That is classified as a defense mechanism which is a "Form Of Control"!!!!

:shakehead:eek::thinking::laughing::laughing::laughing::crackup::crackup::twothumbs

Have a nice day,,,come to America for Thanksgiving!!!

You really should not worry about such things.

Apart from the fact I am, unfortunately, not the all-knowing-Oracle, the reason for answering a question with a question was to make you think about the answer yourself (think 'Olight M3X and the word 'most' in your question). I have absolutely no reason to be defensive, I'm just trying to help ;)