• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TK75vnQ - Best Searchlight

gofastman

Enlightened
So the TK75vnQ XHP70 SD DriverVNX2 is more of a floody type light, correctly? I usually like a mix of flood and throw, should I go for the TK75vnQ XML2 PDT + DriverVNX2 ?

How long do they both last on highest brightness overall? I'm about to go through all 6 pages again in case this was already answered.

On max output you will be limited by heat rather than battery life. You can run it until it becomes uncomfortable to hold. It also has a turbo timer you can program that will ramp the output down after a certain amount of time, it's set to 5 min by default.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
On max output you will be limited by heat rather than battery life. You can run it until it becomes uncomfortable to hold. It also has a turbo timer you can program that will ramp the output down after a certain amount of time, it's set to 5 min by default.

Thanks. What I really meant was like overall time before it doesn't have juice left for turbo mode though, my current one starts to regulate and dim after like 20 minutes. I don't mind heat limits but I'm not sure if the battery life is similar to a stock TK75. I can't make up my mind if I want the Q or Q70. My current brightest light is the Lambda VaraPower Turbo 2 which I think is around 2500 lumens and I just want to make sure the increase is noticeable enough.

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. What I really meant was like overall time before it doesn't have juice left for turbo mode though, my current one starts to regulate and dim after like 20 minutes. I don't mind heat limits but I'm not sure if the battery life is similar to a stock TK75. I can't make up my mind if I want the Q or Q70. My current brightest light is the Lambda VaraPower Turbo 2 which I think is around 2500 lumens and I just want to make sure the increase is noticeable enough.
The Q should make 2000 plus lumens over your current light and that will definitely be noticeable.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
"Throwier" version?

The 2 main options I see are:

w/XML2 PDT = 4,750 OTF Lumens & 366K LUX.
w/XHP 70 =14,000 OTF Lumens & 210K LUX.

I'd love a version with more throw than the XML2 PDT version and total lumens somewhere in between the 2 options given.

Could you do a dedomed XHP 70 or even 50 version? (Actually I don't know - are those lux/lumens numbers all ready dedomed XHP's?)
Are my following lumens/lux #'s reasonable expectations?

w/ dedomed XHP 70 = 12,000 OTF Lumens and 380K Lux.
w/ dedomed XHP 50 = 6,000 OTF Lumens and 500K Lux.

If those above numbers were anywhere near reality I'd go for a dedomed XHP 50 version. But some of you all certainly know better than me... perhaps the dedomed XHP 50's wouldn't really outthrow the dedomed XHP 70's? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Throwier" version?

The 2 main options I see are:

w/XML2 PDT = 4,750 OTF Lumens & 366K LUX.
w/XHP 70 =14,000 OTF Lumens & 210K LUX.

I'd love a version with more throw than the XML2 PDT version and total lumens somewhere in between the 2 options given.

Could you do a dedomed XHP 70 or even 50 version? (Actually I don't know - are those lux/lumens numbers all ready dedomed XHP's?)
Are my following lumens/lux #'s reasonable expectations?

w/ dedomed XHP 70 = 12,000 OTF Lumens and 380K Lux.
w/ dedomed XHP 50 = 6,000 OTF Lumens and 500K Lux.

If those above numbers were anywhere near reality I'd go for a dedomed XHP 50 version. But some of you all certainly know better than me... perhaps the dedomed XHP 50's wouldn't really outthrow the dedomed XHP 70's? Any thoughts?

No they are not. The XML2 U3 PDT are going to be the best combo of lux and lumen. Vinh did a TK75vn70 with 3 XHP70 leds. According to Jmpaul320 it did 10,000 lumen and 107k lux. The TK75vn50 did 8300 lumen and 138k lux. Vinh also did the TK75vn77 with 7 XHP70 leds. It did 21,500 and 11k lux.
Now you can't dedome the XHP series but they can be shaved. In the TK75vnQ70, Vinh found a way to tune the beam to not shave the LEDs and get almost the same throw plus 200 more lumen. The light closest to what you described is the X60vn.

berfles

Newly Enlightened

Wish there was a direct comparison video of the Q and the Q70 so I can see the difference in the hotspot/throw at distance... My VPT2 as far as I know has a lux rating of around 200k, and if lux is the chief factor in determining throw then it seems the Q70 would throw as far but with a giant floody beam and 7x as bright. I don't remember where I saw it but I think I saw the Q threw around 1200m vs 960m for the Q70? I'm also looking at the X60vn and trying to compare that with the Q, it seems better in every way but price.

What are the best 18650s to use for this light?

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wish there was a direct comparison video of the Q and the Q70 so I can see the difference in the hotspot/throw at distance... My VPT2 as far as I know has a lux rating of around 200k, and if lux is the chief factor in determining throw then it seems the Q70 would throw as far but with a giant floody beam and 7x as bright. I don't remember where I saw it but I think I saw the Q threw around 1200m vs 960m for the Q70? I'm also looking at the X60vn and trying to compare that with the Q, it seems better in every way but price.

The Q70 is a flood light. The Q is a thrower that floods as well. The X60vn is another step up in terms of throw and flood. But it is a much larger light. The Q is a 4 cell light. The X60vn is a 8 cell light. The Sanyo/Panny 18650GA is a 10 amp hybrid cell with 3500 mah. This my current go to cell.

berfles

Newly Enlightened

The Q70 is a flood light. The Q is a thrower that floods as well. The X60vn is another step up in terms of throw and flood. But it is a much larger light. The Q is a 4 cell light. The X60vn is a 8 cell light. The Sanyo/Panny 18650GA is a 10 amp hybrid cell with 3500 mah. This my current go to cell.

Thanks. I think the X60vn is what I'd want to shoot for if it's still available. I don't consider that big when I've been using a huge modded Maglite as my go to wow light for years.

8 batteries is a ton though, I'd need another new charger I guess. I only have the Maha and Pila.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Only" 6 cell in the x60vn :)
Yes you're right. I mistyped and didn't catch the mistake. Thanks for correcting it.

Last edited:

gofastman

Enlightened

LG HG2 or Samsung 30Q. Both new to the market, fantastic voltage sag characteristics under load, and 3000mAh. The NCR18650GA is also a good cell, but sags a bit more under load.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast

LG HG2 or Samsung 30Q. Both new to the market, fantastic voltage sag characteristics under load, and 3000mAh. The NCR18650GA is also a good cell, but sags a bit more under load.
When you say sags under load, what does that cause? Wouldn't the extra 500 mah make up any or some of the difference?
I only ask as I have seen only excellent results using the GAs.

gofastman

Enlightened

When you say sags under load, what does that cause? Wouldn't the extra 500 mah make up any or some of the difference?
I only ask as I have seen only excellent results using the GAs.

The GA's are a good cell, don't get me wrong.
It has to do with the internal resistance of the battery. Let's say you apply a .84 ohm load to a fully charged battery, the voltage the battery will show under that load is going to be higher on the HG2 and 30Q vs the GA, this means there is ultimately more power going to the load.
The GA has a slightly higher capacity, but under higher load conditions it's more like 200mAh than the claimed 500.
In essence, the GA will run the light longer, if you completely exhaust the capacity of the cell. Since most of us have the ability to recharge at 50% capacity or so, the other two cells will provide more light output, but how much is unclear, it may be insignificant.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast

The GA's are a good cell, don't get me wrong.
It has to do with the internal resistance of the battery. Let's say you apply a .84 ohm load to a fully charged battery, the voltage the battery will show under that load is going to be higher on the HG2 and 30Q vs the GA, this means there is ultimately more power going to the load.
The GA has a slightly higher capacity, but under higher load conditions it's more like 200mAh than the claimed 500.
In essence, the GA will run the light longer, if you completely exhaust the capacity of the cell. Since most of us have the ability to recharge at 50% capacity or so, the other two cells will provide more light output, but how much is unclear, it may be insignificant.
I understand now. Thanks for the explanation. In most lights you would probably need a light sphere to tell the difference. I have tried comparing output of a single mode M25CvnT and non turbo using a GA, Samsung 25R, 30Q and a Panny BD. I couldn't see any output difference in either light between the batteries. Now this was strictly with my eyes so if there was a difference than a sphere is needed to tell.

flashaholic1

Enlightened

I received my TK75vnQ70 today, and I couldn't wait til nightfall to go and play with it. I first tested it inside and compared it to some of my other lights, including my Thrunite TN36, I first turned on my TN36 on turbo and got a grin on my face as I saw 6500+ lumens light up my room, then I turned on the TK75vnQ70 on turbo and was like holy s**t!!! It can't be THAT MUCH brighter!?? lol so I put in fresh batteries in my TN36 to see if it made any difference and turned it on side by side next to the "Q" on turbo to compare, and again I was like holy s**! As I promised, here are some shots and a video of the TK75vnQ70 in action.

Car head lights

20150923_221553.jpg

Car headlights (High Beam)

20150923_221604.jpg

TK75vnQ70

20150923_220911.jpg

Distance measured

tree_line.jpg

Another shot of the TK75vnQ70. The camera may not pick it up well, but pretty much the entire field is lit! Also through brute force, it easily lights up the field and the other radio tower about 380 yards away.

20150923_220926.jpg

Here is that tower that's lit up in the background.
tower_1.jpg

20150923_220940.jpg

Here it is lighting up another tower over 400 yards away, and of course that entire field is also lit lol