• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired TNT SingLED modules for Surefire incan E-series

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: TNT SingLED modules for Surefire incan E-series - E1E, E2E, E2D

I've tried E-series LED drop-ins and I never liked them. Too much light was lost as pure flood, because the reflector is designed to redirect side-emitted light from an incandescent bulb, whereas a LED has a very different emission pattern. A flashlight with such a small bright hotspot should also have a small corona around the hotspot, rather than a wide dim flood. At close range where the flood is useful, the hotspot is blindingly-bright, and at long range where the hotspot is useful, the flood is too dim. The only reason the E-series can get away with having a tight hotspot + wide flood with no corona is because it was so dim to begin with, so the hotspot is never blinding in the first place.

I would be interested to see this drop-in made with a LED that has a side-emitting optic installed. (like this: https://www.luxeonstar.com/fraen-11mm-side-emitting-lens) This would direct most of the light towards the reflector, so it could produce a tighter beam, instead of a super-wide beam with a tiny hotspot in the middle.

I would buy one of these drop-ins and install the side-emitting optic myself, but I think the pedestal would need to be shortened for optimal focus. I don't have the machining skill to modify the pedestal, and I would probably destroy the drop-in while trying to remove the LED before I could even try to change the length of the pedestal.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned

Not yet. I also sent Tana a PM regarding a different question, and I haven't heard back on that topic either. Probably busy with...you know...life, and stuff.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

He's not so much on CPF so you could guys wait for his answer for a long time. But if you go to his facebook group TanaWorkshop, you'll get instant reply[emoji41]

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry guys, I thought I replied to fyrstormer...

The thing with the whole idea (if I understand it correctly) is you still have to open the bezel, still fit optics that could fit (super small, super shallow so don't expect wonders in terms of beam, it would be around AAA light beams at best) and still slightly modified module to power it all... the amount of work around it you're close to time needed to turn head into a TripLED...

It's definitely doable and by going with smaller emitter dia's beam profile might be tigher than other LEDs but it still requires lot of R&D (or trial and error in some cases) which is time dependent - being so sick for the past few months I couldn't even dream about similar project... I might look into it if I manage to get all those parts at my place and wiggle around it to see what kind of beam and how tight it can actually be in such a small package (no matter what we do, size is limiting factor for us, the reason why Surefire TIR heads are bigger/longer than incan heads... simple physics...

fyrstormer

Banned

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you've been sick for months. That would be very depressing.

- - -

My suggestion with the side-emitting optic would not require opening the bezel. The side-emitting optic would be attached to the tower, on top of the LED. It would redirect most of the light from the LED sideways so it strikes the reflector, the same way the original incandescent bulb worked. If the side-emitting optic is too wide to fit through the hole in the bezel, it could be lathed around the edges to make it narrower. The widest part of the side-emitting optic is at the base where very little light is emitted by the LED, so changing the shape and the refractive properties of the side-emitting optic at the base would have an insignificant effect on the beam pattern. Some experimentation would be required to determine the optimal height of the tower with this arrangement, but I think it would work.

- - -

I just had another idea, to improve heat dissipation. If the tower is tapered so it is slightly wider at the base, then it could friction-fit into the hole in the bezel, and that would create a reliable thermal path between the tower and the bezel. To ensure the drop-in can still be removed, a couple holes could be added to the underside of the drop-in, so pliers could be used to rotate the drop-in until it pops loose.

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Standardized" SingLED after long period of trying different LEDs and drivers...

Nichia 219B + driver with Tana3 programmable firmware is probably the best combo for turning old and classic incan e-series into a modern EDC...

m4r3BrA.jpg

archimedes

Flashaholic

And Nichia, please do not be surprised if (when) several of the above posts are removed, as this has been explained to you before.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Sorry Tana, and I will be back to clean up your thread later today.

EDIT ... Ok, I think it has been all sorted, now.

Nichia, going forward, please refrain from posting in this sales thread. Thank you.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

I got word (coincidentaly) today from Tana that a small parcel of goodies that I sent a few weeks ago has made it's way to his door. I'm down to ONE SingLed, and am eagerly waiting the Triple builds that will be coming back my way in a few weeks. Custom work takes time, time costs money. Those who want bespoke work not only understand that, but are willing to pay for it. 😁 Nothing like having something built to your specs.

knfmkr

Newly Enlightened

I got word (coincidentaly) today from Tana that a small parcel of goodies that I sent a few weeks ago has made it's way to his door. I'm down to ONE SingLed, and am eagerly waiting the Triple builds that will be coming back my way in a few weeks. Custom work takes time, time costs money. Those who want bespoke work not only understand that, but are willing to pay for it.  Nothing like having something built to your specs.

Well said about custom work. I ordered a TNT singLED today. Patiently waiting for my first Tana upgrade. Anything of worth is worth waiting for.

knfmkr

Newly Enlightened

So after some waiting (mainly due to the post office having no tracking whatsoever) I finally got the Tana TNT singLED. He was absolutely outstanding to deal with and answered all my noob questions quickly. I really like the beam pattern on this LED module. It's different than anything I've ever used before, kinda hard for me to describe it. Definitely a class act with his products, knowledge, and communication/ customer service. Thank you Tana!!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

So after some waiting (mainly due to the post office having no tracking whatsoever) I finally got the Tana TNT singLED. He was absolutely outstanding to deal with and answered all my noob questions quickly. I really like the beam pattern on this LED module. It's different than anything I've ever used before, kinda hard for me to describe it. Definitely a class act with his products, knowledge, and communication/ customer service. Thank you Tana!!

Thank you, broski... what can I say but to apologize for postal people mistakes, I guess it's the summer season, short staff and what not... I'm glad it did arrive (same day as other package sent the same day) and that it gave a new life to your E2E... keep it shining... ;)

knfmkr

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, broski... what can I say but to apologize for postal people mistakes, I guess it's the summer season, short staff and what not... I'm glad it did arrive (same day as other package sent the same day) and that it gave a new life to your E2E... keep it shining... ;)
That was by no means a negative comment towards you. You have no control over shipping once it leaves your hands. This was rather a compliment about your great communication and customer service. I love the singLED more every time I use it. Well done my friend!!

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Couple of SingLEDs along with more complex mods ready to be packed and shipped away...

qF8C0GG.jpg

TheMocoMan

Newly Enlightened

"Standardized" SingLED after long period of trying different LEDs and drivers...

Nichia 219B + driver with Tana3 programmable firmware is probably the best combo for turning old and classic incan e-series into a modern EDC...

m4r3BrA.jpg

Are these still for sale? I already requested to be a member of the FB Group. Sorry to bump such an old thread. :huh:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome product. Just curious if these focus any better than the drop ins from LF? I found those ride just slightly too high in the reflector loosing too much light to flood/spill.