Toughest survival flashlight

Draz

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a surefire LX2 and I must say the low is a nice 15 lumen throwy beam for 48 hours and high is a 200 lumen beam for about 2 hours. This is my new get home bag light as well as my L1 I edc. Can't go wrong with any surefire imo. I do prefere twisty tailcaps in survival situations over clickies due to the very very rare failure

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a surefire LX2 and I must say the low is a nice 15 lumen throwy beam for 48 hours and high is a 200 lumen beam for about 2 hours. This is my new get home bag light as well as my L1 I edc. Can't go wrong with any surefire imo. I do prefere twisty tailcaps in survival situations over clickies due to the very very rare failure

L1's are hard to beat...I'd take an L1 over an LX2/L2 though, since they only take one cell...and I'd take the L2 over the LX2 since the L2 is floody...and the 18 hours runtime on low isn't bad neither.

Of course, I'm still sticking to my guns and going for the E2L...100 hours runtime on low...had mine for 3 years and have yet to change the batteries.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Surefire C3 with a Malkoff M61WL. If I had to stake my life on a light working when I needed it to, then that would be the winner. 7.5 hours of regulated output on CR123s, plus more than adequate output on 2xAA.

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
the new armytek predator seems like it can take a really good beating, I personally wouldn't want to use a light as a hammer but a bezel would do just fine as a defense striking tool. And it has customization out of the *** ;-)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone reported that his TK20 stopped working after being dropped.

Could you post a link? I find this hard to believe, unless is really was a complete freak occurance..

The light and electronics are well potted as far as I know, perhaps the ring in the tailcap came loose?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Tektite expedition LS4 cree 3C version.

There's a video of a tank running over it somewhere on the web. It's built like a brick and weighs about the same too. It's a twistie, so there's no switch to go wrong and it direct drive through a resistor so there's no electronics to go wrong either. 3 cells with resistor drive is actually a very efficient way to drive an LED. Waterproof to a billion metres too!
If I had to bring one survival light with me and weight and size were't too much of an issue then this would be it.

Draz

Newly Enlightened
L1's are hard to beat...I'd take an L1 over an LX2/L2 though, since they only take one cell...and I'd take the L2 over the LX2 since the L2 is floody...and the 18 hours runtime on low isn't bad neither.

Of course, I'm still sticking to my guns and going for the E2L...100 hours runtime on low...had mine for 3 years and have yet to change the batteries.

That's why its nice to be a cpfer...we take both. We don't like choosing just ONE light

ATF628

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Seanflash, for asking this. I actually wanted to know of a super-strong light as well and then I saw your post. Imma look through all the light suggestions.

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened
Like my fellow friends have mentioned, go for the Ra/HDS Clicky. The Twisty is jsut as durable but since this light is going to be used for military purposes, a tailcap would be more practical.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all how much is your budget? Lights with those type of requirements don't come cheap. Lets say US$1000-$2000 as a starting point, you could get someone like elektrolumens to custom build one cut from a solid billet of steel or titanium, use 25-30mm tempered glass as the lens so it can withstand shock if you decide to use the flashlight like Thor's hammer. Definitely go with an LED because of their shock resistance, no clicky switches of any sort, only a twisty where the the contact spring is made from tempered spring steel. Not too sure about the type of batteries you should use as I reckon all batteries are the weakpoint as most if not all are not exactly impact/shock resistant if they are designed to be handheld.

Hi All:

I have been researching a few threads posted on emergency lights but I have a speceific question that could use some advice. I am looking for suggestions on a tough as nails flashlight that can handle a lot.

I want a light that satisfies two requirements: 1) Incredible run time 2) A tactical light that's insanely tough. If I want to use it as a hammer, I could. Basically reliability is a priority.

I hike a lot and often camp out alone. In the odd event, I can't make it back to my starting point-I want to be sure I have light for a long time. I also want it to be able to handle tough weather, use, drops etc..

I appreciate everyone's input and value it just as much. Thanks in advance.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a behind enemy lines scenario, I'd be worried about my IR signature more than anything else.

Rocks make adequate hammers, so why carry the weight?

I wouldn't need alot of light except to signal with, and fire works best there.

That leads me to a single 5mm LED in green, or teal.
Peak Kilimanjaro, CMG infinity, or even a PAL light. The Peak and CMG could use a QTC pill to further cut the output.

A white or red light will show up like a house on fire to anyone with the proper equipment...

Has anyone ever tried to kill a single 5mm Peak light? Might be interesting, especially a SS bodied one.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Surefire L1 with the red filter, and a new cell installed before the mission, and one, or two spares if you have the room. I doubt some of the lesser lights would not be allowed on a mission, but the L1 meets Mil. Specs.

No way he is going to be pushed off the flight deck with a Mag or Inova in a $57 Million Dollar F/A18 with lights from Mega-Lo-Mart.

Also, would you really want a Chinese light under these circumstances...I doubt any US fighter pilot would?

Last edited:

VLAD1690

Newly Enlightened
Tektite Excursion or Expedition LS5 model all the way!:rock: Would feel confident in a Peak Night Patrol also.:thumbsup:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago I got my Peak Logan SS QTC 17500/AA long keychain tail.

This is one tough light! Very nice output, single cell size. I also picked up the adapter kit, 123/AA/AAA.

So I can use dang near every common battery seeing as it can handle anything up to 4V or so. I'm using the 17500's from my SF C3, so it looks like I'm going to have to pick up some spares.

duro

Enlightened
TK20 is close, if you are satisfied with the runtime in low (11 hours). It is definitely tough as nails.

I would advise against Fenix. Their warranty are lies. It's been weeks since I've attempted to get a new switch, mailed in the old one to their "distributor" etc...Long story short, you are jerked around, and their warranty means nothing.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I too, favor the HDS lights for their ruggedness, and own a 170t and the new rotary model. They're among my favorite lights! But the OP suggested he might possibly want to use his light for pounding tent stakes, or using it as an improv weapon. Now for those of you that have one, pick it up and hold it in your hand like you were about to use it as a hammer. Doesn't feel much like one does it? It's just physically too small for anything but a bombproof light! The op needs something bigger than an HDS if he's sure it would have to serve dual purpose as both light and tool/weapon. Just thinking out loud here.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the surefire A2l-red.
Bright white beam. Very efficient low, red preserves night vision,.when you'll be on the move.
Very reliable twist tail.

It's not a hammer, or much of a defensive weapon. I would think you're already carrying better suited tools got that.