• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Triple v5 R33 Engine - 4th LED, 30w limit, Screen Programable, Dual Mode Groups

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has the output seen a bump in the later versions of the V5 R33 engines? Here's a look at 2 different boards build a little over a year apart... 2015 Q3 vs 2016 Q4. It looks like the 2015 shows a max output of 30W and the 2016 shows 32W.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Has the output seen a bump in the later versions of the V5 R33 engines? Here's a look at 2 different boards build a little over a year apart... 2015 Q3 vs 2016 Q4. It looks like the 2015 shows a max output of 30W and the 2016 shows 32W.
Thats a marketing change. The reason its called afterburner is that level 33 is not a normal regulated level. I always quote the minimum (30) but AB actually varies between 30 and 32w, depending on specific variables.

RPB

Newly Enlightened
Hey all :)
So I put the serial number of my Boss 35 into the checker and in the info it said the LED Bin was 4250K. Now I don't think I could tell the difference on any case, however I thought the XPL Redome was 4500K? As I said, it makes no difference to my eyes as I don't know the difference! lol

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all :)
So I put the serial number of my Boss 35 into the checker and in the info it said the LED Bin was 4250K. Now I don't think I could tell the difference on any case, however I thought the XPL Redome was 4500K? As I said, it makes no difference to my eyes as I don't know the difference! lol

LUX-RC (the manufacturer of the driver) sets its own requirements for color temp. That's why there's a discrepancy between the two.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Correct! Sorry for the confusion. Luxrc reports near 4200 for most options but XPLHI/4000 and 219C/4000 are definitely warmer than RD/4500.

RPB

Newly Enlightened
LUX-RC (the manufacturer of the driver) sets its own requirements for color temp. That's why there's a discrepancy between the two.

Correct! Sorry for the confusion. Luxrc reports near 4200 for most options but XPLHI/4000 and 219C/4000 are definitely warmer than RD/4500.

Thanks folks. As I said, I do not have anything to compare it to in order to know the difference. lol. Dan, the torch is just incredible and that program method is so easy. I keep going on about it but its brilliant. One question I do have, which you will have been asked before no doubt, is there any chance of a second group for a one 18350 torch? Or if not, open up more slots for choices, say move from 4 slots (or 5 with Amber hidden) to like 5 or 6 anyway? I will say that it cannot be too high as then switching through modes would be a right pain. Would be awesome to have 2 switchable groups of 4 even on a single battery set up.

RPB

Newly Enlightened
In fact the only thing I never thought to ask about and I would have loved this, is trits in the head of the Boss 35. That would be awesome.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
will there be another batch of drop-ins featuring the XP-L HI leds instead of the redomes?
LEDs are on there own cycle, apart from anything they might go into. In theory, two cycles eventually overlap and come together but drops sell slower so we need more less often so there's fewer chances for overlap. 4000k is getting more popular with XPL fans so we should have more of it, so odds should increase. I'll see if I can push that along.

RPB

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread and the info and program links contained in it. I've just had an evening of learning more about the 371d LE over on Facebook with Jon Gefaell's advice leading the way. Very informative it was too with a couple of us re-programming our 371d LE's, albeit in different torch bodies, mine being the Boss 35.
I am now using the 45 deg' temp cutoff; the 1,1,2 PIN entry code. For myself, there was a big difference in my Boss 35 copper once I dropped the temp cut off. A lot better to hold the torch and not worry about it being too hot for me. In fact its an awesome hand warmer. Ha.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
For myself, there was a big difference in my Boss 35 copper once I dropped the temp cut off. A lot better to hold the torch and not worry about it being too hot for me. In fact its an awesome hand warmer. Ha.
Thanks for the report! These are the steps

Every BOSS page includes links to 8 video files. These allow you to adjust the automatic temperature ceiling in every v5. Want your light to run cooler (or are adjusting down the output level to compensate), just follow these steps:

1) put one of these videos on your screen
2) program your v5 light
3) cycle your light off/on
4) load your favorite program on your screen
5) program your v5 light again

65c is default, 45c works great too

these videos are also available in section H
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403685

temperate is a background setting and will stick even if you change your own programming again and again

RPB

Newly Enlightened
ElectronGuru, So whilst programming my torch for the lower temp cut-off amongst other things, my battery was being reported as 3.4v (via 1,1,1 PIN), which was very accurate as the charger said 3.38v later. My question is this, the battery is one of those awesome Aspire 18350's, why would the high output start stepping down at 3.4v? With a cold torch, I was turning it on in high mode and it would almost immediately step down the output. Would it be right for me to assume then, that the step down was 1/33 and it merely went down to level 28 or something? (Obviously very bright and plenty good enough, btw)
Some background info - the following had been programmed by me, 45 degree temp cutoff, then programmed as a two cell only even though it is the Boss 35, thereby giving me afterburn as high mode. Now don't get me wrong, how the torch behaved was awesome, it was still very bright, so this is more a puzzled query than me being bothered by what happened. This torch and LE just keep impressing me the more I get used to it.

EDIT - Ahha! lol, so although the resting voltage was reporting as 3.4v, the voltage at load would have been lower, ergo the step down kicks in. I'm waffling now.................

2nd edit to remove my incorrect information.

Last edited:

the badger

Enlightened
For some reason I'm still fighting to grasp what the below "after-timing" programming means.. Dan tried explaining it (doing a fantastic job nonetheless!) but I just somehow missed his point.

Can anybody explain in the simplest of terms what exactly this means:

H) Advanced Settings

After-timing, programming videos (right click to save)
How long your light waits before pressing slower = start over

RPB

Newly Enlightened
For some reason I'm still fighting to grasp what the below "after-timing" programming means.. Dan tried explaining it (doing a fantastic job nonetheless!) but I just somehow missed his point.

Can anybody explain in the simplest of terms what exactly this means:

H) Advanced Settings

After-timing, programming videos (right click to save)
How long your light waits before pressing slower = start over

It's just a timeout adjustment for the clicky switch presses. So, how short a time you must press the clicky that either gets recognised as a mode change or not. So for me, 4 quick presses will change light modes 4 times, 4 slow presses just keep lighting up whichever mode it was on before. Note, I have hybrid memory on.
Edited yet again, lol - or in other words 'the badger', on the default settings, quick presses will change the light mode, longer presses won't.

Last edited:

RPB

Newly Enlightened
Post deleted as my information was incorrect :)

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
My question is this, the battery is one of those awesome Aspire 18350's, why would the high output start stepping down at 3.4v?

EDIT - Ahha! lol, so although the resting voltage was reporting as 3.4v, the voltage at load would have been lower, ergo the step down kicks in. I'm waffling now.................
Yes, v5 levels are fully regulated watts. As volts go down, amps must go up to maintain the same level of watts. This puts greater and greater stress on the cell. So the cell is being asked to do more just as its less able to do so. As stress goes up, the cell sags more and v5 drops output to protect the cell.

During extended operation starting from higher volts, drops are one level at a time. Starting from low watts, the system can decide to skip several levels at once to achieve the correct level. This is a good reminder to charge your cell as soon as possible.

Think of 'mode change' as a window of time:

shorter than this time = mode doesn't change
inside this time = mode changes
longer than this time = v5 thinks its been off a while and goes to mode 1*

* this is easier to see with memory off and say your already on mode 2. You'd get mode 1 instead of mode 3.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Hi Eric, yes you are right that single cell maximum is level 28, however, during programming you can force high = afterburn on the 371d light engines even with single cell. The Minion torches use the same 371d LE and their default program makes high as afterburn on a single cell 18350.
Sorry for the confusion, this is an incorrect rumor. Turning off one set of modes does not force the other modes. v5 will operate at the closest available mode. Since v5 is set to 17w maximum, values above 17w operate at 17w.

Last edited: