Twin Surefire Lumamax L1's

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do these two L1's have in common? They're twins! Twin XM-L2's that is...

Great update to the little friend.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! How's the beam of the XML2 with the TIR optic?

A little hot spot and a very smooth transition to the spill. Whereas the XR-E was all throw and had a brighter hot spot the XM-L2 puts out more light and has a warmer tint.

I will take some beamshots and update here.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Created some glow rings to go into these that can be removed. I also took a beamshot on low.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a pretty good beam there.
Imo this beam makes it much more of an edc light than the narrow XRE beam.

Does this mod allow the bezel to be screwed in all the way or is there a tiny gap?
I remember seeing an XPG mod to a TIR Surefire long ago and the bezel head didn't screw in all the way after wards.

Great work btw!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a pretty good beam there.
Imo this beam makes it much more of an edc light than the narrow XRE beam.

Does this mod allow the bezel to be screwed in all the way or is there a tiny gap?
I remember seeing an XPG mod to a TIR Surefire long ago and the bezel head didn't screw in all the way after wards.

Great work btw!
Thanks!

No gap. I disassembled the whole thing, rewired it, and sanded the bottom of the LED board until I hit the sweet spot with the head screwed all the way in, I can't fit a fingernail in the gap.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Looks fantastic. I've always loved my SF L1's, I have four of them and for quite some time I felt that they were a near-perfect EDC light.

I did have at least one objection for a general-use light however - while the tightly-focused XR-E made for an impressive demonstration, I have found that most often a good wide flood is actually more useful.

I have kept a close eye on modders' reports on this light and there were numerous indications that the existing optic in the gen6 (the most popular version) was not a good match to the XP-G. The common solution at the time for folks who wanted the additional performance of the XP-G was to change out the XRE-specific TIR for a reflector at the same time.

I believe that it may have been pulstar who first publicized the XM-L upgrade without changing the stock optic for these lights - getting a substantial increase in output while changing the beam characteristics to a floody light was a win-win in my book and made me decide to pursue this option on at least a few of my L1's.
[...] Relative comparison on high: (LX2 vs. L1 xml): Picture shows to much of a difference in throw, LX2 throws just a bit more, but the L1'a beam is a lot wider and a bit brighter in reality!

fotografija0015u.jpg

This is what the Gen7 should have been, unlike the stillborn LX1:
Waiting for the SureFire LX1...
The SureFire LX1 Thread

Thanks Nitroz for tackling this project, I can't wait to try these out. :)

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Love your mod Russ. Awesome. So much so that it motivated me to get my KL1 head mod moving along. Finally got it done today. It originally had a XPG2 on copper but I couldn't get a nice tight beam out of it no matter where the TIR lens was adjusted. I had it all the way down literally and took all it all the way out to where the threads came off the base. There was no sweet spot. After reading this build I decided to try an XML2 on copper and it was all the difference! I'm using a standard Najng 105 at 2.8 amps. 3 levels. Man this thing now throws! It now has an awesome hot spot and is tightly focused. Thanks for your build thread. You got me off my behind once again!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love your mod Russ. Awesome. So much so that it motivated me to get my KL1 head mod moving along. Finally got it done today. It originally had a XPG2 on copper but I couldn't get a nice tight beam out of it no matter where the TIR lens was adjusted. I had it all the way down literally and took all it all the way out to where the threads came off the base. There was no sweet spot. After reading this build I decided to try an XML2 on copper and it was all the difference! I'm using a standard Najng 105 at 2.8 amps. 3 levels. Man this thing now throws! It now has an awesome hot spot and is tightly focused. Thanks for your build thread. You got me off my behind once again!

Lol! I am glad I could inspire you to mod. :) Thanks for the compliment!

Latest posts