Which would you choose?

• TWO mode

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • THREE mode

Votes: 70 56.9%

• Total voters

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was shown and liked the Surefire U2 (6 levels by rotating the bezel ring) but it is an incandescent, uses uncommon batteries, and terribly expensive.

I can't believe nobody noticed this yet and corrected you! The U2 is a LuxV LED, not an incan :nana:

And for my choice, I would like the 3-mode. As long as the low is really low. I love my Gotham with it's 4-levels, but honestly I mainly only use 3 of them.

Robban

Enlightened
Reading?

Finding something or reading a map in the car going down the road without blinding the driver?

Navigating a darkened bedroom with a sleeping spouse?
I prefer a proper lamp (as in proper bulb in a lamp on the side of the desk/bed/what have you). Sure there might be times when I might read something when I don't have a wall socket nearby but then a reasonable medium setting works fine.

GPS :D

I'm not lucky enough to have anyone to wake up. Besides I never turn the lights on/use a flashlight if I have to get up in the middle of the night. I know my way around my home without turning on the lights.

I guess I'm just weird like that :)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's a swedish thing, but I have never also understood the need for a flashlight for navigating your own home at night. Or most places indoors that aren't completely pitchblack.

Allthough I do like a low level, extra runtime is always sweet! :D

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd normally prefer the 3-mode, but it would get really annoying with a UI as simple as that...

btw, 3-mode is definitely my favorite # of modes. All you need and nothing more. But it still needs a good UI, more thoughtfully designed than a 1-modes UI :)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
as long as a low does not come on at 1st, its useless.
... did not vote für that reason
I completely understand your thinking, and I'd completely agree were it not for one consideration...

There are Grues around, and you have a dungeon to explore, maps to read and whatnot.
That being the case, any light is better than no light. As for which one, a really low mode that would give maximum runtime so I could sleep fearlessly would have to be a good thing.

Yapo

Enlightened
i'd go with 3mode

low 5-10%/medium 40-50%/high 100%

or medium/low/high

but it all depends on how bright the light is and how its used.

i like my L0D RB for its useful light output for each mode and mode order as mentioned a few posts above.

Of all my 3 5mode lights i have, i found the strobe n SOS to get in the way and also the brightness levels for all of them are in different orders which is a little annoying.

I recently got a P60 sized Q4 5mode led module which had memory function and i found the memory to be a little annoying because i'd have to remember what mode i left it on or if i had changed the mode i'd have to remember to wait a few seconds before turning it off or else it would be on the following mode the next time i turned it on. But i guess it would be more useful for people who use a specific mode most of the time and only occasionally need somthin brighter/lower.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think there is enough information in the initial post. If by "high power light" you mean something like an A9, then I really want just one mode, not two or three. That light is too big for a general purpose EDC. It is a special purpose light and should just concentrate on its main job instead of trying to be flexible and multi-purpose. If in my day-to-day activity I occasionally have to tighten screws, open bottles, etc., I carry a swiss army knife with all those features. If I'm doing something focused enough to bring a special tool for the purpose--let's say I'm tending bar for an 8 hour shift and will be opening bottles all evening long--then I want the best single function bottle opener I can get, with no distracting extra functions like screw tightening.

big beam

Enlightened
I have some of the old nuwai lights 654.233and one luxV that are 3 speed.I wish they were low mid high though
DON