UK kinetics Incan question

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 4aa Q40 xenon Underwater Kinetics dive light with front switch. I would like to know if the 1.7v lithium AA cells are safe for the lamp in my flashlight. I dont want to blow a bulb because of the increase in voltage. By my calculations the increase in voltage would be 0.8v, that's almost a whole volt when you consider 4 cells over standard 1.5v alkalines. I would want to use these cells for an increase in runtime, and for longterm storage without leakage like akalines. It's a given that the brightness would be a little more intense because of the increase in voltage. Any input is appreciated. :thinking:

YAK-28

Enlightened
i've got a couple older 4aa uk xenon lights with lithiums installed and working with no problems. don't know if they're q40's or not, if that helps any.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
Sorry for this completely unrelated question, but I didn't want to start a thread for such a minor question. Does anyone know if Underwater Kinetics changed their name? I have an old dive light make by them that has the letters UKE on the side. I can't imagine what UKE could stand for.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
A couple weeks ago when I searched UKE and underwater kinetics, I didn't find anything useful. Now, A google search just answered my question for me. Underwater Kinetics was founded by a man named Alan Uke.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
i've got a couple older 4aa uk xenon lights with lithiums installed and working with no problems. don't know if they're q40's or not, if that helps any.
"Buck" was a specific model of light that UKE(I'm going to use that abbreviation from now on so that people don't know what I'm talking about:devil:) used to carry.

YAK-28

Enlightened
i have 2 -"Buck" 4aa made by underwater kinetics and 2 -"Buck" 4c made by underwater kinetics.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that I will probably be just fine. Will go ahead and give them a shot.... UK dont want you to use lithiums because of the risk of explosion in hazardous environments.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Energizer lithium batteries in my incandescent UK/UKE lights for years now. AA batts in the 4AA model (twist on-off), and AAA batts in the mini pocket light. Thus far (knocking on wood), I have not had any problems using lithium batteries. BUT, my usage is intermittent, so YRMV.

There was a thread awhile back (sorry, I don't remember the actual topic/thread) regarding use of lithium batteries in these lights, and at least one member indicated in his/her post, that use of lithium batteries would/could shorten bulb life. IIRC, the bulb might not "flash," but it just won't last as long.