Unbranded 2AA Penlight Pocket Flashlight

Samuel Culper

Newly Enlightened
Attached is a picture of 7 pictures showing an unbranded double AA shirt pocket flashlight that I carried in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The bulb is branded Norelco, 222, Hong Kong, CO1 or possibly C01. Other than that there are no markings anywhere else that I can see. The Switch Housing looks somewhat like Bakelite.

I cannot remember how I acquired it, but probably a vendor of one of the companies I worked for back then. I quit carrying it in the mid 1980s because it became hard to turn On and I became concerned that the switch housing was possibly Bakelite and might brake under rough conditions.

Would anyone know anything about a flashlight like this?
Who manufactured it?
Possible date of manufacture?

I think I can disassemble the switch housing by removing the spring from the grooved pin sticking through the bottom. However, if it is Bakelite I will need to exercise extreme caution when handling.

I am not going to attempt to disassemble until a tube of Electrical Switch grease comes in. Upon disassembly I plan to carefully thoroughly clean all pieces of any debris. Then clean the surfaces of all contacts and apply a thin coat of OxGard. As well as clean the plastic switch pieces and apply a thin coat of switch grease.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 87B47920-C682-4ECF-B886-0D49BD1D81F3.jpeg
    87B47920-C682-4ECF-B886-0D49BD1D81F3.jpeg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 68

Flynn's Arcade

Newly Enlightened
Nice! It looks very much like a Burgess doctors exam light, but the Burgess label was always on the clips. There is a reasonably decent selection of warm white led replacement lamps for the 222 size. I still enjoy the stock bulbs, rings and all.
image.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Those Norelco bulbs were some of the nicest and long lasting of that era.

Back then so many light makers were going overseas it's hard to know who actually made it. And when. It looks very similar to the Eveready version of that era. Often manufacturers would make what were called "house lights" meaning a generic to be sold at small stores or gas stations. Places like those "Stucky's" stores would carry generic flashlights.

They were known as doctor lights yet mechanics often used then for the same reason. The 222 bulb put out a focused beam to see in small spaces.

Wish I could provide more details.