Upcoming Fenix Headlamp: HL20

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen quite a few posts of ZL owners saying they use a flashlight for throw in parallel to the ZL because it is such a floody light. I am really hoping that the H51 has some throw to it, otherwise it really is a niche headlamp.

For up close use you need a floody beam, and up close, hand free use is the primary reason for using a headlamp. If you need throw, a flashlight is better than a headlamp. Sure a headlamp can be made for throw, but you would be looking at something huge like the Fenix HP10.

I have high hope for the H51 too. It has a reflector so it will have some throw. If the XP-G emitter is used, the hot spot should be huge, making it possible to use it for close up work. I say this because I used my Maratac AAA light for close up work and found it acceptable. The only question is: will it be small enough for pocket EDC?

Last edited:

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
I am waiting for a headlamp that can use a 18650 or 17670 mounted in the rear for balance, and powering an assembly up front that can throw about the same beam pattern and lumens as my Turbo Quark. Plus it should be good looking and durable. Nothing close to it so far, although it could be done with existing tech, IMO.

yowzer

Enlightened
Batteryjunction now has a 2AA HP15 listed as 'coming soon', as well as the HP20. No pictures for it, but from the description, it'll have the battery case on the back of the head. Light levels are listed as 5, 50, 115 and 180 lumens.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it's not the same size as the H501. It is way bigger. Pictures are almost always designed to make things smaller and nicer. The length of the lighting head is 64.3 mm (2.53 inches) long. That's longer than an AA battery. Try putting that in a pocket.

64,3mm is the length of the battery tube, (H501 is 71,2mm).

Snow

Enlightened
Looks interesting, but I don't see it competing with the Zebralights without a warm emitter and a floody beam. I typically want flood in a headlamp so it doesn't really appeal to me.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I am waiting for a headlamp that can use a 18650 or 17670 mounted in the rear for balance, and powering an assembly up front that can throw about the same beam pattern and lumens as my Turbo Quark. Plus it should be good looking and durable. Nothing close to it so far, although it could be done with existing tech, IMO.

Check out the newest versions of the Serv-Light. Koen has created an 18650 battery tube that is essentially a flashlight with the head replaced with a cap and wire. There is a bit of DIY work involved, but perhaps Koen might be willing to assemble something for an additional price. . . .

www.serv-light.com

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
Check out the newest versions of the Serv-Light. Koen has created an 18650 battery tube that is essentially a flashlight with the head replaced with a cap and wire. There is a bit of DIY work involved, but perhaps Koen might be willing to assemble something for an additional price. . . .

www.serv-light.com

Interesting. The hardware seems to be there. I'm not enough of an engineer to assemble the bits and pieces into a usable headlamp, but that's the direction that interests me.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
I've finally come to realize I want BOTH flood and spot in a headlamp. Flood for closeup work (reading a book, untying a knot) and spot for distance needs (looking for something on the other side of camp, finding trail markers). And I want to be able to switch between diffused and undiffused easily (no snap-on pieces).

I think the slide-across diffuser (Petzl Tikka XP) is a better design, but as long as the Fenix diffuser works reasonably well, the HL20 may be able to give both flood AND spot. Maybe we actually can have both in one package...

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
HL20 seems to be another great product by Fenix. 1AA is a nice size and the modes are good in my opinion. I will grab one, it will be a good little brother to HP10. :twothumbs

Regards, Patric

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
This looks perfect for day hiking, when you need something just in case you get caught out after dark.

I've been waiting for something exactly like this: 1AA, regulated, decent throw, all in one front-mounted casing.

I want AA to be compatible with my GPS, all front mounted for size and weight, throw for route-finding, regulated because I hate unregulated lights. Once an unregulated light dims down, it's worthless for route-finding. So what if it's still good around camp, that doesn't help much if you can't *find* the darn camp. Since I almost never hike on trails, I'm screwed without throw.

Gordon

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Too bad the runtime on low is less than the H501.

I think given the bit higher output the runtime is very good on low. Glad Fenix is going lower with the new stuff. Not sure how big it is as those little plastic heads are hard to judge anything. Will look for the CPF reviews.

Ultra-bright

Newly Enlightened
I just found out that fenixgear just got these in. Order one today will post more info about it after I received it.

Sarratt

Enlightened
:popcorn:...... thanks for ordering and I'll be watching for reviews. This could be my most usable light.

My only concern is the (unique) lower placement of the cell chamber (below the light) ... might that not hinder the ratcheting down of the beam ?

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The price seems right. :)

The Fenix HL20 headlamp features a lightweight headband, CREE's XP-E R2 emitter, and a compact design. The HL20 runs off a single AA battery and puts out up to 105 emitter lumens. Lamp and battery case are in a single integrated unit. Fantastic for camping, hiking, caving and for stowing in your car in case of emergencies.

• LED: Cree XR-E Q5
  • Output: 5 lumens (105 hrs), 4 lm (56hrs),48 lm (5.5hrs), 105 lm (1.8hrs), Strobe, SOS, Flash
  • Throws beam over 70 meters
  • Driven by 1pc 1.5V AA batteries
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 standard
  • Dimensions: 64.3mm X 50mm X 38.5 mm
  • Weight: 49.5g
Mattk is that XR-E Q5 a typo?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone seen the runtime plot for high?

I would never use an alkaline cell in this headlamp, so I am hoping that the regulation would be fairly flat like most Fenix lights.

I am glad to see that the headlamp comes with a diffuser. That is what finally sold me on the HL20.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm!
Yeah, I'm a Fenix fan but it's just not doing it for me either.

I adore my Zebralights and feel that they are so cute and functional... this light looks a bit clunky (IMHO only) and seems more restricted to headlamp use given the design--not that it is a bad thing!

I also agree that the beam looks somewhat throwy for a HL, though with sufficient power this can be useful for more difficult terrain...

Hmmm... I love Fenix though and this might be worth a try!

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
The price seems right. :)

The Fenix HL20 headlamp features a lightweight headband, CREE's XP-E R2 emitter, and a compact design. The HL20 runs off a single AA battery and puts out up to 105 emitter lumens. Lamp and battery case are in a single integrated unit. Fantastic for camping, hiking, caving and for stowing in your car in case of emergencies.

• LED: Cree XR-E Q5
  • Output: 5 lumens (105 hrs), 4 lm (56hrs),48 lm (5.5hrs), 105 lm (1.8hrs), Strobe, SOS, Flash
  • Throws beam over 70 meters
  • Driven by 1pc 1.5V AA batteries
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 standard
  • Dimensions: 64.3mm X 50mm X 38.5 mm
  • Weight: 49.5g
Mattk is that XR-E Q5 a typo?
Also is that "5 lumens for 105 hours and 4 lumens for 56 hours" a typo?