Updated - Malkoff MDC HA First Impressions

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff MDC HA First Impressions

Yeah, the flat head sections are bordered by round sections, so the flats don't contact the table, etc...and it rolls right off on the round sections like wheels.

:D

the way it is balanced, the very edge of the tail and the non-bezel end of the head are all that touches the table, so even if the flat sections were milled out into more of an octagonal cross section along the head, I think it would still roll away.

On a positive note, an MDC rolling on wood makes a really cool sound! (As long as there is carpet below!)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC HA First Impressions

True, but if you let the bezel extend beyond the edge of the flat surface it is resting on, the flat side of the head will make contact and prevent rolling. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, my MDC SHO came today. AWESOME. So simple - such a beautiful beam - such a nice tint. 290 lumen with an AW LiFeP04. Gonna be a great dog walking light!

roderic41

Newly Enlightened

Hi there what sort of runtimes do you get wiyk the Lifepo4 battery or did I miss that? Thanks!

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry - I haven't tested a LiFeP04 in mine. Since those little cells are not protected and are not happy when discharged too low, I just charge mine once a week and don't worry about it. Incidentally, an MDC HA has been my EDC (MDC?) since receiving it. And when I test a cell after a week or so, invariably they are showing 2.9-3V remaining after topping off on the charger at around 3.2.

I did post a low run time on the AA version on an alkaline over HERE.

Hi there what sort of runtimes do you get wiyk the Lifepo4 battery or did I miss that? Thanks!

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Friends, I have a question for you.
Does this flashlight can automatically switch modes?
That is, if the strong mode is turned on, after a while it will not sink into the weak one?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a very old thread you woke up from the dead. I do not have experience with this light but i do have the current versions

They will not automatically switch modes but they will run full output until out of regulation, then gradually taper down in output until its unusable or the cells cut out/die

I imagine this would be the same for the older version as well

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened

I used my 2017 MDC HA CR123 in Neutral today and only could get low mode. I didn't think I've used the original battery that much; I've had the light since the 11th of this month. I took the battery out and measured it at 2.86 volts. If a new cell is about 3.24, then it appears that 2.86 volts has about 88% capacity of a new cell. Should I not be able to get medium and high at this lower voltage? Is that normal? Of course the head of the light says: 2-3.2V

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Now I'm stumped. I just put a new SureFire CR123 in the light and put it on high. I got a light meter reading of 33 via ceiling bounce. After one hour on high, it read 3. The voltage of the SF cell is now at 2.0 volts. When I put the Battery Station cell in the light, I only get low mode and no reading on the light meter w/ the ceiling bounce. And that cell is still at 2.86 volts. I believe both cells are made by Panasonic. Does this light prefer SF cells? PS. I'm in the process of returning this light and getting their SHO version; simplify w/ one mode. I look forward to the roughly one hour of runtime on high.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may or may not get better help from the junkie thread.

I have the nichia 219b version of this, the aa neutral version, l-m-h neutral version. I will play around with them and see if i can try to replicate your experience.

I have the 123 version on it's way so I won't be able to check that one for a bit.

Can you still put the 2v surefire cell in and get it to cycle through the modes? Even if both are made by Panasonic, they could be of different grades. Also maybe the bs cell (no pun intended) could be slightly defective in some sense or they are not of great quality.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Hmm, strange things still. So having rested the SF cell overnight, the resting voltage went up a little. It's now at 2.24 volts. The Battery Station cell is still at its 2.86 volts. I measured the lux (direct, not ceiling bounce) from the same distance between both cells:

The SF cell produced about a 227 reading. The Battery Station cell produced a 28 reading. I pressed the tail cap button on each test a few times to try and get the highest mode/brightness. With the SF cell, it seems to have 2 modes. And w/ the BS cell, just low. Could there be a variance within the protection circuitry in the cells under load?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a surefire cell but i have a streamlight cell and battery station cells.

I already had a BS cell resting voltage of 2.57v. i. I'm getting 2 modes on my mdc 123 219b

I'll have to drain down the SL cell to see how it behaves. Lowes sells SF cells but I'm not about to go buy one

Seems like the surefire is a better quality cell or your battery station cell is just a lemon.

I do not think primaries have any kind of protection, so that theory to me is out the window.

Maybe call Gene and have a talk with him about it. Maybe he can give you the specifics​ on approx voltages the light provides 3 modes, 2,modes,1mode, etc

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok
My streamlight cell started at a resting voltage of 3.07v and I drained it down to 2.89v rested. I'm still getting 3 modes

I have 2 battery station cells, 2.58v and 2.7v rested, getting 2 modes.

Let me drain down a battery station cell and see if i can keep 3 modes at 2.89v approx

Maybe these battery station cells are just junk. All my cells are new that came with malkoff lights. They have resting voltages from 3v-3.12v. where my streamlight cells rand from 3.15-3.3v

So it seems like these BS cells don't hold up very well when stored

Ok, the streamlight cell has creeped up to 2.93v.
I took a bs cell rested 3v and drained it down. It was 2.6x v when I pulled it out, currently at 2.85v and still getting 3 modes

Will let it rest a bit longer to see where the voltage ends up. Maybe these bs cells can't handle the load as well? Seems like they sag a bit more or it could just be me.

Ok cells have had some time to rest and recoup. Bs cell is at 2.88v and sl cell is at 2.98v
Both cells still getting 3 modes.

Ok, got the bs cell down to a steady 2.72v and still getting 3 modes. Trying to get it to 2.7, then 2.65, then 2.6v and see where it loses the 3rd mode

I've noticed the bs cell from taking out of light after use to settled voltage is .3-.4v. that is a big change. This is probably part of why you are seeing what you are.

I'm not sure how these are designed, if they are a true single cell or if tgere are multiple little cells in there. That would also explain some things

Ok, didn't go as planned. Got the bs cell to 2.62v and all 3 modes still working.
However one of the used bs cells i had from this morning 2.68v will only get 2 modes and they have less output.

This tells me these aren't single cells and part of it is not in good shape...or something along these lines. So bs cells are hit or miss.

I don't use primaries and being these were free with the lights, it doesn't bother me. I don't know if the streamlight or surefire cells will all be consistent but if i were to buy primaries; they wouldn't be the battery station cells

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Thanks INFRNL. I agree, I'm only using the BS cell because that's what was supplied w/ the MDC. I usually purchase SF or Panasonic cells online; otherwise they're way too much at the brick and mortar stores etc. At any rate, my MDC HA SHO CR123 is in the mail. I estimate that I'll use this light 1-2 minutes a day, 5 days a week, so a primary should last me around 2 months or so...

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks INFRNL. I agree, I'm only using the BS cell because that's what was supplied w/ the MDC. I usually purchase SF or Panasonic cells online; otherwise they're way too much at the brick and mortar stores etc. At any rate, my MDC HA CR123 SHO in "neutral" is in the mail. I estimate that I'll use this light 1-2 minutes a day, 5 days a week, so a primary should last me around 2 months or so...
no problem

Did you end up ordering the SHO and returning your neutral 123, or did you get in in addition to the other? It should definitely not give you this same hassle being single mode:thumbsup:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I'm waiting for my MDC SHO; it should be here next Tuesday. I'll send back the L-M-H head back then. He and Cathy are wonderful to work with and communicate with!

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I've taken the 2nd gen pocket clip on/off a few times. Overall, I like the clean look of the light sans the clip. But when I replace the screws back into the light w/out the clip, the screw closest to button now hits the o-ring surrounding the button - since the screws fit deeper. I'm sure there's no harm in that, but does anyone know where I might find slightly shorter black screws to fit in there? Or some kind of small hole-plugs - similar to those furniture plugs that snap into the hole and have a head on them similar to round/flat thumb tack?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seriously doubt you would find plugs that tiny.

A good local hardware store should have screws to fit, otherwise maybe something like Fastenal?

Or maybe just find some tiny washers to take place of the clips space.

If you have a hobby shop that sells RC cars,etc they would likely have screws.