Updated - Malkoff MDC HA First Impressions

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Got my MDC HA SHO CR123 today; very nice. I like it a lot! Simplicity, just HIGH. And if that's too much, I'll just use the edge of the spill to look at something. Happy Camper I am...

Last edited:

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of the MDC...

I have a '74 Bronco that's my baby. Wife and I took it to eat dinner a couple different times and each time when we went to come home (only a few miles) the headlights would go out. Trouble shooting it would show normal voltage for a battery. The last time they blew I pulled-out my MDC and drove with that as my light. I was amazed on Hi how well I could see. Amazed!

Charging system was putting-out 17.X volts when I finally put a meter on it running. Changed the alternator to a modern alternator (removed the voltage regulator at the same time) and all has been good since. Haven't needed to use my MDC while driving since. Lol

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Speaking of the MDC...

I have a '74 Bronco that's my baby. Wife and I took it to eat dinner a couple different times and each time when we went to come home (only a few miles) the headlights would go out. Trouble shooting it would show normal voltage for a battery. The last time they blew I pulled-out my MDC and drove with that as my light. I was amazed on Hi how well I could see. Amazed!

Charging system was putting-out 17.X volts when I finally put a meter on it running. Changed the alternator to a modern alternator (removed the voltage regulator at the same time) and all has been good since. Haven't needed to use my MDC while driving since. Lol

Not to get too off topic but I have several older vehicles. One used a regulator that would die every six months. Everyone said that's just the way they are. So, I pulled the alternator and regulator off and swapped in a Mini Denso that is a one wire alternator. Best decision ever. I too have had to drive using a Malkoff 16650 as a head light. Honestly, it worked fairly well....

Back on topic--I find myself being pulled towards the single mode lights or those with a hi/lo ring. It makes things simplier knowing for sure how bright your light is going to be. So, I may have to add a AA MDC...