USL ARRIVES! BEAMSHOTS!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if anyone knows how long to expect them to last in the USL. I do seem to remember a 20-25 hour spec from somewhere, though. Bill or one of the others can probably give you a better answer.

I bought some from BulbConnection.com. SpecialtyOptical.com also carries the Osram 62138 HLX. I'd shop around, though. I've seen some websites offering them for as high as $32, but they were only $4.20 at BulbConnection, the last time I checked.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! 25 HOURS sounds like a "lifetime" bulb at 9-12 min. "bursts" I would say! I believe that replacement may be infrequent and then, upon accidental dropping of the USL---YIKES! Thanks again.

karl

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman gives good advice on this lamp, shopping around can SIGNIFICANTLY CHANGE the price. I was quoted prices ranging from $6 to $26 per lamp when I was shopping for them. I finally got the best deal in bulk at SOS, but the price only include lots over 100.

Other places have them cheaper in small numbers.

I also found several look alikes from other manufacturers at similar prices, and intend to check them out in the future.

Bill

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but is there any new news with regards to the 3" head and aluminium/pelican cases?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son brought a 200 balloon display home from his high school football game. His friends wanted to see the power of the USL so I proceeded to pop the balloons with the USL. :naughty:

Jeff

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpitxbullx said:
My son brought a 200 balloon display home from his high school football game. His friends wanted to see the power of the USL so I proceeded to pop the balloons with the USL. :naughty:

Jeff

:naughty: :wow:

Hehe. Shoulda taken a video or something :) How far away were these balloons? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

MikeF

Enlightened
QUOTES:
From CODEMAN
"Now that the USL's are shipping out, maybe we can have our own version of the "lighting of the beacons" scene from the LOTR's Return of the King!

Someone needs to determine how far away a USL can be seen. Not that such a measurement means anything...every time I see a commercial for a light that "can be seen over a mile away", I think, how many people buy a light based on how far away it can be seen? Unless it's to be used for signalling, who cares? Still, inquiring minds are curious.

From Grox

Hehe. Shoulda taken a video or something How far away were these balloons? "
ENDQUOTEs]

These comments have inspired me. I have no doubt that with optical sighting such as the Hubble Telescope, or the "Spies in the Skies" satellites that you could see the USL from Space. In fact with the USL, with the space telescopes it could undoubtedly overwhelm the sensors. With a more modest optical device, such as the zoom lens on a camcorder, I think that the USL could be seen and identified from at least 50 miles, possibly further.

Since I live in Denver and there are some mountains nearby, I think they are called the stoney mountains, or the Rocky Mountains or something like that, there should be an easy way to test this.

Anyway, when I receive my USL (hint hint Bill :> ), I could find a prominent Mountaintop location with a view to Denver, and either arrange for one of my kids to be at a distant location from the Mountaintop, say the front steps of the Colorado State Capitol, with a video camera pointing towards the Mountaintop and via the magic of cell phone communication between the "Transmitter Site" (USL on a Mountain) and the "receive site" we could talk to each other while I am flashing the USL to verify that is the source they are seeing, amidst all of the other lights on the Front Range Foothills. For example, if I was on Lookout Mountain, it is 13.4 miles as the photons fly to the Capitol. Or a more extreme case, if I were on the South side of Pike's Peak, it is more than 60 miles to the Capitol. Obviously, for a test of this distance, atmospheric conditions would be a major factor.

An interesting side note: There is a USGS benchmark on the Colorado State Capitol, on the West side stairs that shows an elevation of 5,280 feet, hence the nick name for Denver of the "Mile High City". There have been at least three different markers for the elevation of 5,280, due to increased accuracy in surveying techniques.

Now since today is October first, and a few of the high Mountain roads have closed due to snow fall, it would be a good idea to do this sooner, rather than later. Although Pike's Peak usually doesn't get enough snow to close the road completely during the winter, in fact we have driven to at least 13,500 feet on the Pike's Peak Toll Road in February. Another interesting test would be to also take along some other high output lights for comparison testing, such as the CostcoHID, and the X990, and a 10Watt Mag-HID conversion or a SureFire M-3 or L-6 or .......? All that is missing is the USL and the time to do this.

Maybe this could turn into a "Dual Ended Flashlight Party" with some Denver Area CPF people on Pike's Peak, and another group at the State Capitol or some other location in Denver since security will not let you drive into the circle drive unless you have suitable credentials?

What do you think?

Note: I changed the format of the quotes because when I tried using the quote function on CPF, it locked up my browser. It also locked up when I tried to edit my post to correct a couple of typos and add the quote from Grox. I found references to this lockup at: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1083341&postcount=6 . This post also links to another thread describing the problem.

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Surefire's claims of the M6/HOLA being used with an IR filter to signal with, then I'm sure the USL can reach as well.

I'll be anxiously waiting to hear the results of your idea!

In the meantime, my USL showed up today, with a companion FM-6AA/FM-3H Fatbody that Bill had grabbed for me!

4710513-MyUSL_FMFatbody.jpg

The production USL is a noticable improvement over the prototype:

• Much improved reflector - the spot is more distinct now, thanks to the LOP reflector. If you're near-sighted, the change reminds me of seeing something without my glasses, then looking again with my glasses on.
  • The excellent switch guard - super kudos to tvodrd for this gift, and the extra pins and rings. It really adds, IMO, a touch of class, not to mention being a subtle hint of what the USL hides inside. Seeing it in person, it is much lower key that I expected. I'll sleep better as well, knowing the USL won't come on accidentally.
  • fantastic machining by modamag.
  • the battery pack looks great, at least from what can be seen (thanks, js!)
  • The can looks like a commerically-made part - kudos to whoever made them.
  • great installation of the switch guard by Bill.
  • use of the Mag's spare bulb foam holder to hold the battery pack's molex connector. Smart move, Bill!
During halftime, I did turn the USL on and I really like the spot. At 15 ft, I'd guess it's about 1 ft in diameter. I then put the FM-3H on. That dropped the spot's diameter to about 6". This ought to give the USL some serious throw. I've got a stop sign in my neighborhood that's a measured 310-320 yrds. The LionCub/LionHead will light it up enough to see the sign clearly and to just be able to see the gray post. I can't wait to see what ther USL/FM-3H will do!

I added a black elastic hair band to the switch pin:

4710514-USLSwitchGuard.jpg

After running it through the split ring, I just pulled it around the body and over the switch guard. Now, if I lose the pin, it's my own darn fault.

Here's a shot of my USL/FM-3H:

4710516-USLWthFM-3H.jpg

Yeah, baby!!!!!!!!!!

Even if I wasn't part of the USL Team, I would have to say that the USL is a real work of art, not to mention a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. If there was an award for the best mod light, the USL would be a very serious contender for top dog 2005!

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the black looks great. The one I bought from somebody had black as the third choice....maybe I'll get "unlucky" and not get the first or second! I'm sure the other colors will look great, too, but I doubt FM will ever offer a pewter or blue 3" head to match.

I can't wait to see some more beamshots. You really deserved that gift! The service you are providing is one heck of a big job! I can only imagine how many PM's you've had to respond to, and that's only a small part of your contributions. I'm sure you are Bill's hero!

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch guard really blends in well, too! What was I thinking for doubting Larry's work? :stupid:

Helping Bill has been a real pleasure, even with the 1,100+ PM's about the USL. But, that's a tiny drop compare to the buckets of effort from the other team members.

I can't wait to start hearing from the owners as they start receiving their USL's. Team Tres Amigos (bwaites, js, and Ginseng), modamag, and tvodrd will soon start receiving the accolades that they have earned with their efforts. Seeing that is gonna be fun. Seeing that will be as much of a reward to me as everything else, maybe more. Only then will I truly know I did my part.

About the pictures: It's kind of like trying to explain faith. To someone without faith, no explanation will ever satisfy. To someone with faith, no explanation is necessary. Until you've seen a USL in person, you really can't appreciate how poorly even the best of pictures are at showing the USL in all it's glory.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Ray, I'm flattered! :eek: The two weekends I spent in the garage running-off the guards no doubt pales in comparison with the hours you spent responding to 1,100+ PM's for this proj. (No doubt some of them belonged in "Dilbert Land," but you have too much class to let the rest of us share the chuckles!)

Ray and I, as field testers, "conspired" to insist on a switch guard. The things are freakin' dangerous up close! Next we'll have a USL Owners contest for how long we can hover our hands in front of one at 4 inches. :green: The guard's design was Q&D at my end- feces-load of tradeoffs! Keeping the "grenade pin" in place makes it much more effective! As the switches' panel retention features also retain the guard, It appears this made Bill run some hot melt or something to make switch retention more positive- haven't taken mine apart to see yet.

I was very flattered to have been selected as a "field tester" for it, but regret my camera skills didn't do it justice. :( It has been an interesting journey, and I had a bunch of fun!. My history on CPF has been the small pocket light LED realm. Until now! :naughty:

:bow: :bow: :bow: -----> bwaites!

Larry

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
Next we'll have a USL Owners contest for how long we can hover our hands in front of one at 4 inches. :green:
Larry

1.5 seconds here. Do I hold the record?

Jeff

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to pay you back on the flattery, Larry. I seem to recall using those same words when you first contacted me and our conspiracy started!

I could've put in thousands of hours on my end but it still wouldn't have stopped someone's house from burning down. Great engineers take a good design, even a great one like the USL, make one small, elegant change, and the value of the design increases tenfold. The fact that it only took you two weekends from inception to completion, well, that's the definition of efficiency, IMB. Yeah, the switch guard may be a compromise, but it's a very good one. I am glad you agreed to lower the gaurd a bit, though. Now that I have it in hand, I think you nailed it

I'm not sure I'll sign up for the 4" hand hover contest. I've had 2 numb fingers due to nerve damage for about 12 years, so I value the feeling in my remaining ones. But, if I can enter the contest WITH just my numb fingers, sign me up! I'll be a cinch to win! :D

As far as the "Dilbert Land" PM's go, it's not class keeping me from sharin' 'em - I'm just waiting for the right time! :crackup:

Jeff, that's the record as far as I'm concerned!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry and Ray,

Thanks, but this REALLY was an effort that was helped and inspired by many!

If I EVER produce something that has 1/10th the skill and cool factor of the CRII's I'll be happy. The USL is the broadsword of lights, big and blunt, compared to the rapier like CRII!!

But thank you both!!

I still have 75 plus first run lights to build, and the HiTec charger regimen still to fine tune!

Thanks everyone!!

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman said:
To someone with faith, no explanation is necessary. glory.

No explanation necessary.. just send Paypal - cash, credit, or eCheck! :D

WHERE'S MY USL!!!!!!!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL ARRIVES!

xpitxbullx said:
So for the HiTech charger, you don't want us to set it on the NiCD? aren't these NiCD batteries?

Jeff

NO!!! THEY ARE NIMH!!!

You're Hitec should be in NiMH mode. Charging in NiCd mode will mean that it will never peak detect and you will most likely damage your battery pack.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL ARRIVES!

js said:
NO!!! THEY ARE NIMH!!!

You're Hitec should be in NiMH mode. Charging in NiCd mode will mean that it will never peak detect and you will most likely damage your battery pack.

Noted. Thanks. :)

Jeff