USL ARRIVES! BEAMSHOTS!

mst3k

Enlightened
So "no recalls" sounds cool. Just curious. Im sitting at #63 on the list. Realistically, what can I expect for a ship date at this point?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several of you have asked when your lights will be shipped.

The limiting factors are four fold:

1) Positioning and fixing the switch protector, which takes about 3 days of curing before I can mess with the bodies. I have the process down now so that I can speed this up some by doing batches of ten at a time, which will speed the whole process some, as I will do the next ten lights, then build the current ten.

2) Conditioning the battery packs. It takes about 48-72 hours for each pack. (It would take less if I didn't have a real job, but I'm switching, charging, discharging packs fairly continuously when I'm home!) Several packs can be done in parallel for some steps. However, I'm reluctant to have more than 3-4 packs going at one time, because I don't want to make a mistake and miss the full conditioning process.

3) Assembling the lights. Each light takes approx. 1 hour after the above steps are done. I'm the ONLY builder, no HAT team to help, so it takes awhile.

4) Packing! It took me 5 hours to pack 6 lights, double checking the orders and making sure I didn't miss any of the options.

I am getting faster, but have had an unexpected work change that has me going in at 5:00 AM and coming home at 6:00 or 7:00PM. Hopefully that will last only another week or two.

I hope (which may be optimistic!) to have the first build all done and gone by Thanksgiving, and I have actually taken a few days off work scattered here and there to facilitate that, but I am gone back east from the 3rd to the 14th of November, so that may slow the process some.

So, no promised dates, but they are coming!!!

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a new use for the USL yesterday!

Some punk(s) decided to roll the Bradford pear trees in my front yard 2 nights ago. When I got home yesterday, I proceeded to pull as much of the toilet paper out as I could, using a 12' gutter cleaner and a 5' ladder. I was able to get all of it out, except for about 3' that was just outside of reach.

Then it dawned on me that I could bungee my USL onto the end and at least be able to touch the paper. That was all it took to ignite that last bit and burn it to oblivion. I guess I could have bungee'd something else onto the pole, but the USL was a lot funner!

Will the uses of the USL never end?

Hmmm...did Binford ever have a flashlight on Home Improvement?

Dynacolt

Enlightened
With the USL collimating lens attachment, you could have cleared the tree from your favourite lounge chair (taking out several nesting birds at the same time. But I think they call that 'collateral damage' :) ).

Dave.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dynacolt said:
With the USL collimating lens attachment, you could have cleared the tree from your favourite lounge chair (taking out several nesting birds at the same time. But I think they call that 'collateral damage' :) ).

Dave.

:rant: Codeman has a parrot and feeds the native birds. No USL'ing of birds in my house!

But, a collimating lens for the FM-3H head would've been helpful.

I keep thinking there are going to be boundless new uses for the USL with Halloween rapidly approaching.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL said:
*ahem*...

I actually have a 52mm collimating lens on its way to me.

You'll need to forward that to Bill. Team USL, in an attempt to assure the asbolute highestly quality USL's, needs to perform testing on all accessories. Just send it to me, and I'll foward it to Bill! :D :duck:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman said:
I found a new use for the USL yesterday!
Hmmm...did Binford ever have a flashlight on Home Improvement?

That wouldn't be the Binford 5000 USL, would it? :crackup:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArrhhhArrhhhArrhhhArrhhhArrhhhArrhhhArrhhh

Just imagine what Sears would be like if they sold USL's!

BVH

Flashaholic
Codeman, will you post a link here to the actual order/options/payment list (table). I've hunted in a bunch of the threads you listed but cannot seem to find it. I'd like to be reminded of my positions in line.

Oh golly darn, just found it. never mind!

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Thanks Mst3k. Golly Gee, I should be getting mine somewhat soon if I'm 6.1 and 6.2, right Codeman? I don't mind waiting for my second one until near the end of the 1st run so others can get theirs sooner?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I created USL Thread Index, which I plan to keep updated with references to all USL-related threads. In fact, if anyone spots a USL thread that's not in the first post of the USL Thread Index, post a link to it in the index thread, and I'll add it to the first post in the index.

As to the order of the USL being built, it was planned to do so in the order that payments were received. Let's wait to hear from da man, though.

Since I've been incredibly blessed by bwaites, and I figure everyone needs something new to check out while waiting for your USL's to be built and delivered, here's a tease of what I'll be working on, starting this weekend:

USL/Mag11/Mag85/... Comparison

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Will the lights without switchguards also be built in the "order paid" priority along with those with switchguards? (Not that I have a personal interest...no, not at all)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights without switchguards require a special assembly process that I am still working to perfect.

Unfortunately, I miscommunicated with Modamag about the extra bodies, and ONLY the bodies that were ordered without switchguards were machined that way.

I had hoped to have a few extras to perfect the switch mounting on, since flushmounting the switch left the wall section where it mounts very thin. (It's only a section about 1/16 inch wide and 1/8 inch long on each end of the switch.)

Thus, there is NO margin for error on my part, I only get one chance to do them right.

I think I have it all figured out, but I do have to have a groove machined into the side of the can to make it work.

They won't be delayed much, if any, once I have it worked out.

Bill

Last edited:

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Only just been given the link for this thread! ...
icon_redface.gif

So they are arriving! ... :)

Any more teaser pic's anyone??

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_DW said:
Only just been given the link for this thread! ...
icon_redface.gif

So they are arriving! ... :)

Any more teaser pic's anyone??

aad.sized.jpg

I am privileged to be one of the Chosen Few for the initial QA team :D (whine and cheese.. I mean.. QA feedback.. has already been sent to those responsible!)

After handling this work of perfection, my hat goes off to all those who were instrumental in its creation at every stage - Ginseng, js, bwaites, tvodrd, and all those who have in some way or other influenced its creation. Giants walk amongst us - they walk quietly, but nevertheless they are giants.

I believe that the rest of you USL owners will not be disappointed - mine has reached the end of its long journey from inception to delivery, and an even longer road lies ahead for it in my hands. Believe me - the wait is, absolutely, positively, worth it.

Last edited: