USL Field test thread

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Field Testers,

One thing I forgot to mention was that you should allow batteries to return to room temp after discharge before recharging.

Larry, thanks for tonights entertainment!!

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooooooh egg...

You are one brave soul to cook it right on the lens. I planned to use a little tray made out of aluminium foil sitting on the lens so as to make for an easier cleanup.

Ooops, did I just give away the unofficial frying pan mod.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nethiker

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

That was awsome Larry. Egg and burning paper will definatly be in my dreams tonight.

Thanks,
Greg

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, this is going to be one fun thread. I'm really looking forward to seeing reviews from the other field testers.

To the rest of the field testers - you guys had better start getting creative. Larry has set the bar incredibly high.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can hardly wait to cook some eggs with mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm hungry!

Jeff

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Larry ... this was the first thread in a long time that really excited me!! You know, not just appreciation or greed, ...l real laughter and excitement!
Thanx!

Well done guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif !!!!

bernie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Now.... if all that excess heat could only be turned into lumens....
(However, I do have to admire the glowing yolk trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Did I hear RayBob ask Bubba to go fetch some shotgun shells from that dark corner in the shed, then an almighty BOOM as Bubba goes a-lookin' in the ammo box with the USL???

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't do that to poor 'ol Bubba cuz I no he'ud do it!

Someday, I'll have to tell everyone the real story of what I did in 1977 as a high school band member who got to be Obewon during a one-time-only Star Wars halftime show. Ah heck, I'll go ahead and tell it now.

RayBob truly learned about heat, heat transfer, and flames through two events related to that halftime show. They involved a rubber Obewon mask, some butane, a butane lighter, Estes model rocket igniters, 3 aluminum pie pans, a 12V battery, and 8 oz of theatrical flash powder (a kissing cousin of gunpowder):

<ul type="square">[*] Ray flash-burnt all of the hair on one arm off, along with both eyebrows, during pre-game rehearsals in the bandroom when he tested the extremely dangerous act of breathing fire. Everyone said it was about a 6 ft ball of blue flame that appeared right above my head. I had my eyes closed, so I couldn't tell where my arm was and blew the butane straight up my arm (instead of above it) to the lighter I was holding. The band director and a few parents about fainted when they saw my head light up. Some of the butane ended up inside the mask and got my eyebrows. The sudden change in pressure in the bandroom caused a very large whoommpp and caused quite a few ears to pop. At the urging of the band director, I decided not to breathe fire during the show.
[*]When I set off the flash powder at the end of the halftime show, it was between the band and the drum major. You'd have to see it to really understand the amount of flash and smoke that was produced. The band was holding a note at the very end, but was left without a way to see the drum major's instructions to quit playing, so we had to just kinduf wind down. What we also couldn't see, but hear, was probably the loudest standing ovation ever in the state for a high school halftime show. As the igniter, I was quite proud. However, that was short-lived. In addition to the flash powder's smoke, the other 3 guys had set off a total of 6 military smoke canisters. Well, we hadn't thought this idea through. There was absolutely no wind that night! We earned our team a 15-yard penalty for delaying the start of the second half for 30 minutes while everyone waited for the smoke to clear. The four of us were also treated to stern lectures from the band director, the football coach, the principal, a policeman, and our parents. At school the next week, the students treated us like rock stars.[/list]
Yes, this really did happen. I really did do this. And I can't stress enough how idiotic and extremely dangerous the act of using butane to breathe fire is. The risk of burning your lungs and dying are very, very real. I had been taught how to do it by a performer, but I will not say how to do it. After that night, I never did it again nor have I taught anyone how to do it!

So, you see, when I say RayBob might not be the brightest bulb but he's not blown either, I mean it. I was gifted with a good bit of book sense, but I've earned every bit of my common sense!

Okay, back on topic...

I do have a few unique, but safe, ways to test the USL. I'll see how they turn out, though, before I reveal them.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see already that this is going to turn into a "Can you top this" thread if we're not careful boys!

I'm enjoying it just like everyone else!

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naw, Bill, it's more likely to turn into a "Here's What I Did, You Try It" thread! Surely you don't think we're competitive, do you?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We simply want everyone to know what they can do with their USL's once the production versions are shipped. See, we're SHARING, not competing. Yeah, that's my excuse, and I'm a stickin' to it!

I really want to go pick mine up at lunch, but I wouldn't be able to do anything with it until I get home.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh........................

Gotta remember to go to the grocery store on the way home...okay, a USL Cookbook is now officially on the list of Un-Official Accessories. Should make a nice companion to the coffee table book!

I promise, I will post something more useful later. The waiting is agonizing. I've never even seen a hotwire in person. I probably need to take precautions to prevent drool from entering the switch!

In addition to some pics, I am going to attempt to use my lightmeter this evening, though it won't be a "so many lux @ 1 meter" thing. I'll probably have to report how far away from the meter I had to be for the thing to NOT exceed 20k lux!

For this weekend, I plan a capture of temps for a full run (full charge run until dimming starts) and the cool-down period so that everyone can get a feel for how hot the light will be and for how long.

Larry - when are we gonna see some side-by-side USL/Beast shots? I'm real curious about that one!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Beast SHOULD put out more light, and with a much larger reflector to work with should have more throw.

If I remember the numbers right, the Beast puts out 2500 plus torch lumens to the the USL's 2100 or so.

Whether that is significantly noticeable is the question. The other thing that will be interesting is how much useable spill each has.

That said, I should send the big reflector down to Larry along with the Osram 64625 lamp and give Larry a chance to compare the two with a little more realistic comparo.

Guess I better get another package ready!

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wanting to see a side by side with the stock USL not so much to see whether they are comparable or which one is "better", but to illustrate very clearly just what has been accomplished with the USL.

The Beast may out perform a stock USL, and it may or may not be noticable, but just for the comparison to be reasonable is HUGE!

Paul_DW

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Paul DW,

Is that your dog in your avatar?

If so, I have a red nose that looks a lot like her.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Like HER!! ....lol, altho in your defence he does look a bit girly at times ...lol

Hi Bill, and sorry ppl, this is obv NOT related to the USL, but is Bill's thread, and he has asked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yes HE is my Max. A lovely dog, but just a bit of a fruitcake ...lol, Naromtap will tell you! They tell me it's all part of the breed, and to be expected, so shouldn't moan, but he can be a hand full at times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Do love him to death tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is where the face was taken from :

max.tl.JPG

The flag bit of the avatar is where I want to live, but another story and NOT for this thread, but I mention it because it explains why my input to this thread unfortunately is at the 1% mark I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm Trying to emigrate from the UK to Oz (nightmare!!) and pretty much all of time on the ole PC is being eaten up with all of that.

Anyway, as you was gents! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb lumens of the USL seems to be dropping from the original 3800-4000 overdriven lumens we were hoping to see. Was there a change in the bulb at sometime?

Jeff

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulb lumens still are in the 3000-4000 range, I'm talking torch lumens above, when I talk about the Beast. Surefire rates torch lumens.

The two recommended bulbs are rated at 2800 lumens at 12 volts and 3600 lumens at 12 volts. The lower rated bulb is the stock axial bulb and actually is mildly overdriven into the 3000+ lumen range with this battery pack. The higher rated bulb is a transverse filament bulb, is more fragile, and will require the 3" head to really give any decent performance.

Interestingly, the axial bulb appears every bit as bright as the transverse filament bulb to the naked eye, which leads me to believe the rule of thumb that you have to increase output by at least 50% to make it a noticeable gain.

Bill

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, thanks. Torch lumens and bulb lumens. I wasn't reading clearly. I feel better now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff