• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

indigon

Enlightened
That is a really nice patina, emarkd..

Here is my copper Boss 70 XP-L 4500k A33 I've been packing/testing lately.
Has a tight Novatac rubber tail-cap under a head-cap, for hand comfort, grip & protection.
The cap also reduces the outer spill/wash by 25% or so, which I like on this wider beam.
Underneath the cap is a Lee 1/8 minus-green filter which improves the beam color (for me).

This is a surprisingly heavy light, 8.25 oz / 234 gm w/18650 batt.
Will do some damage if dropped on something, thus the bumper..
I'm mostly a low-light user, 24 on max is more than adequate for me, & less heat.
Have it set @ A-9-16-24, Hybrid mem & Bounce on helps, still testing.

Working for me so far, YMMV. -Ron
esrFpGO.jpg

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
Am still waiting for the patina from the first run with XPL Hi and nichia B..
I hope you listen..

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're the guy on Facebook who won't disclose how you made the finish look like that! Best looking copper Boss in existence, even better than the new vintage copper finish in my opinion.
From Ken McAfee on Flashlight Fanatics,
"1. Lightly go over the light with 0000 ultra fine steel wool. Clean with Dawn dish soap and a old toothbrush (not your wife's). Rinse and dry, avoiding touching with you bare hand.
2. Wearing rubber gloves, clean with denatured alcohol. Clean clean cl
ean! Air dry.
3. Cut off a piece of sponge from a new clean sponge, about 2"x2". Can also be applied with a toothbrush.
4. Apply Birchwood Casey Permanent Blue liquid gun blue with the sponge. Keep applying multiple coats evenly (3 to 5). Let sit. Again apply more coats.
5. Rinse with cold tap water, air dry.
6. Lightly hold the light with the steel wool and spin it until you get the finish you're looking for.
7. The oil from your skin will do the rest."

Search for Ken McAfee and Jeff Clubb on Flashlight Fanatics, Okluma Kin, and Hanko Machine Works to see some great examples of this finish.

Stoneking

Enlightened
Is it easy enough to change the optics? I cracked the lens on my BOSS. It seems like it's still good and waterproof, but I should probably change it out.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it easy enough to change the optics? I cracked the lens on my BOSS. It seems like it's still good and waterproof, but I should probably change it out.
not that hard... the boss bezel wrench set is highly recommended. good luck.

Gsrdc2

Newly Enlightened

I would grab the wrench set from OR, the Carclo 10507 fits
178fe6691c45bc42802e4769cf7ce518.jpg

Stoneking

Enlightened
Thank you everyone for the information. I just want to put note in here that the crack in the lens was completely my fault, I am very rough on this light. I treat my BOSS as a tool and I rely on it heavily. So this was not fault of Oveready or their design. This is one extremely impressive light that holds up to some serious abuse.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been wanting to post for quite a while that the copper BOSS flashlights are most definitely not too heavy for everyday carry on a belt (one opinion). Maybe in a pocket it would be noticeable, but I have used it on a belt no problem. Those who say it is too heavy might want to compare the weight of their smartphone and/or carry blade and keys for perspective. Sure there are lighter-weight carry flashlights out there but the BOSS is truly a special creation and tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

indigon

Enlightened
I've carried my copper Boss 70 in my front jeans pocket next to my pocket knife no problem.
I have a tall frame, and this light does weigh a half-pound with battery.
This may not work for everybody.

The fit, finish and clip is the best I've seen in a flashlight. It can be as bright as you want.
I find the UI a bit simplistic at this point, hopefully it will evolve. Heat is still an issue for me.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BOSS 35 is certainly quite small, but I've still never been comfortable carrying it in my pockets. Always feels like it's bulging out a little and pushes up against my leg :(

hjkl

Newly Enlightened
Will there be any alternative bezel options available this year beside the crenelated steel rings such as a smooth steel bezel ring?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Insider 66 is the whole of BOSS accessories for this year. Months left in 2017 are closing fast and will likely only allow for new primary parts (heads/bodies). Best next year is still open.

You're after a steel bezel in the same style as the stock bezel?

Newly Enlightened
I would also be interested in a steel or ti stock bezel. This would be great for drop protection for the head.

hjkl

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I would ideally like a steel bezel in the same style as the stock bezel.

Actually, it does not have to be exactly the same, but I would like any non-crenelated steel bezel as an option.

The stock bezel is fine, but I would like a steel bezel for wear resistance and accidental impacts more so than as an intentional impact device and so that it could also be used without having to worry about it being confiscated as a weapon.

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
Yes, stock in steel or light weight Ti. You could easily add
3 slots for 1.5 vials on this piece & just call it a trit bezel😉