Very difficult NOT to love AAA's these days.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
good distinction
for working on a car during the day, for more than a few minutes, AAA is the wrong tool for the job. 100lumens during the day is not very bright. For daytime car work, 200 lumens is better, that is AA or CR123 territory, or LiIon

otoh, for uses below 100 lumens, especially below 40 lumens, the AAA is sufficient, and imo excellent due to its small size and weight.

I noticed the change to NoPWM in October 2015. At the same time the ring around the LED appeared, so I use that as a guide.

the light with PWM on the left is from June 2015, the light on the right with NoPWM is from October 2015, coinciding with the ring around the LED. You can be sure that if you see a ring around the LED, the light has the new NoPWM circuit. (except for Massdrop advertisements, that use outdated photos from the old PWM based models, but actually ship models with the ring around the LED)
IMG_9913.JPG

here is a beam shot of those two lights on Medium. You can see the PWM creates scan lines on my photos, which is one reason I avoid PWM.
IMG_9900.JPG

Much appreciated info Jon! Your information was spot on! My Cu Tool was purchased in Dec. while my Al Tool was purchased in Oct. As shown, the Cu has the ring and the Al does not.

003.jpg

Last edited:

bartko09

Enlightened
Must admit that nowadays I'm using AA and AAA batteries a lot more often than I used to just a couple of years back. Now a case of 12 CR123s easily lasts me over a year.

Really? Impressive. I was going through seemed like one every day or two when I had a Minimus; but I wear a head light constantly when building

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use single AAA almost exclusively:
- small enough for a keychain, my main form of carry
- small enough for an Altoids survival tin, and when using some batteries such as Lithium, having a shelf life clocking in at over a decade
- adequate battery life for my typical use, which is mostly for very brief periods of time, say to check under the car or couch if I drop something
- uses the smallest/lightest size battery which is readily available from any store, and at a very reasonable cost, so a replacement can be had anywhere in any country
- uses the smallest/lightest size battery which is readily available in the form of LSD NiMH [Eneloop]
- very common design so there are tons of options: like strobe? don't like strobe? lick clicky? don't like clicky? etc.
- uses a size of battery which is so prevalent that by only buying devices that use it, each device effectively becomes a backup battery holder for all the other devices [especially good in stranded, survival situations]
- uses a form of battery that works with my homemade, solar powered, keychain carry, glowfob/AAA battery charger. [An ongoing project. Here's a video on version 3, version 4 is coming soon]:

What are you planning for version 4? I just watched all 3 of your videos on this. Looking forward to #4

mzil

Enlightened
^In version #4 I fill up the empty, unutilized space with items to make it a keychain sized (albeit bare bone) survival kit. The solar AAA charger part provides perpetual, off-grid electricity to my keychain's 1xAAA signaling laser and flashlight in an extended survival situation.

Although necessarily very small, I see a huge advantage to keychain based survival kits: without even thinking about it you automatically have it on you every single time you walk out the door, so you are always prepared for an unexpected disaster or emergency while away from your home, 24/7/365. Just like with flashlights, cameras, knives and many other items, the world's "best" one is the one you actually have on you, so it's functional. That super deluxe version you left at home in your closet, because it was too bulky to bring along, is completely useless if you don't have it on you when you actually need it.

There's also another fundamental big difference with version #4 but I don't want to spill the beans. I'd rather keep it as a surprise. :)

Last edited:

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
Personally I'm finding it hard to find a AAA light to love. I can't seem to find a light that has a L/M/H twist UI in neutral white. Everything either has poor mode spacing, poor grip, moonlight mode or a large head that negates the smaller AAA form factor.

Fenix e99 Ti perfect fits all your needs: L/M/H, twist, white color (Neutral), good build, good grip, one-handed operation pretty easy, no large head, no moonlight mode. Negative for me are the rings in the beam.

jm82014

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think about the Fenix LD02? I just bought one and I was wondering if its a good durable light.

phosphor22

Enlightened
Bring on the Brass I say!
Maratac just brought the brass AAA back for active sale for those of you (and I include myself) that love brass and copper lights.

Ishango

Enlightened
What do you guys think about the Fenix LD02? I just bought one and I was wondering if its a good durable light.

I like mine a lot. For an AAA light it's durable, has decent runtime and has a clicky. Had some minor issues withh accidental activation the first few times I carried it, but no problems with it after that. Good choice.

rjking

Enlightened
Liked AAA lights too! :D

wZVWgfh.jpg

According to height

cxV5MDe.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Used to be portable light in shadows meant finding a flashlight, hoping it worked and hurrying along before the battery died or the bulb blew.

Now a Microstream, LL P2 or other mini light gets it done....day after day, after day, after day.

So true! I'm pretty big on CR123A for lights but I'll always keep some AA/AAA lights around. I've got a couple of Streamlight MicroStreams and they're such great little lights! And the Fenix E01 on my keychain has been going strong for years now with at least two years on the current lithium battery! I've even got a couple more AAA lights inbound. LEDs are really getting good and efficient as well. The MicroStream is a good case in point- it puts out light nearly as much light as my old 3-C cell Pelican Nemo 2010!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
my lf2xt said :poof: yesterday. Then when i was about to open it, the tweezers slipped and the driver got loose :shakehead Got so sad i had to put it aside... going to take a closer look at it today. hope it is a easy fix....

TOPDOG9000

Newly Enlightened
Loving my new Surefire Titan Plus, very bright for a light this size. Used my Microstream daily until I got the Titan. That was a very good light, durable, reliable and small & light. For the price they are a tough light to beat. I might pick up another or maybe even the Protac 1AAA for the price. The titan is impressive though, hope it proves to be just as reliable.

turkeylord

Enlightened
You'll have to excuse the AA lights in here...

EdhTB6P.jpg

Top: Preon 2 219B

Bottom:
L3 L10 219A
Huckberry/Maratac AA Cu clicky - 47s Mini AA driver - 219A
Maratac AAA Cu - 47s Preon driver - 219B
L3 L10C 219B
Maratac AA Cu - 47s Mini AA driver - 219C
Eagletac D25A Ti - 15mm FET driver - guppydrv - 219C
Lumintop Tool Cu - Stock (for now...)
Streamlight Microstream - Stock - Awful CW reference light
Reylight Tool Cu 219B