Very difficult NOT to love AAA's these days.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you get the old version with the word Manker on the Driver?
new version has PWM and next mode Memory

Oh damn, didn't realise they had changed it.
I guess I'd change my recommendation then to the Manker E01 (providing that it doesn't have 'next-mode' memory) which is still a reasonable price at $15.95.

My Astrolux seems to come on low each time, but I had bought a couple of spares on special and I've tried them - they seem to do the stupid 'next mode' thing.
That has to be the worst UI 'feature' I've ever seen, my cheap Meco zoomie does the same thing and I really hate it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh damn, didn't realise they had changed it.
I guess I'd change my recommendation then to the Manker E01 (providing that it doesn't have 'next-mode' memory) which is still a reasonable price at $15.95.

I respect your productive posting style, in offering an alternative.

fwiw the Copper A01 is on sale for $20 with code 2016FNL at banggood

here is more info about the different versions of the A01
1b3cLFfxKo8a2Voby-lH4eAh2houZDiCZgM9gYkmjRkwfvqi4SdV6r_1z5LAAqcktU7QsXelCV4h_UdVquTwURLGx3SbNYP6KwWvOeI3_7mjz1lFWphJ_wFKyMsz891Ge-0eK8SDmWS5rychUb7DuYIWqOjzQpG0N3_jdVFuyj1FPUpnkO3ACphM2zfudCobluM5OaKi7j86Kvvw9mKA5KlqgKSK79Oa9k70vZOrb4Y446RPl-EP1rlnQO40-BNRW23jAKxd_Iqqg-e2sFeQkml518PAmRA50X6VNWO3rTqabTsY-Lb2QxuvamS8W6EsGCwfkrOYTmrZ4ZcEefXt6tFBgaah60EU3_5BA6osnfuW325boJE1AAMFCR7Tu7pjBqb2V-FEORLdHHM_eJKWBSiBFpr2iLhM8QPswUxXxrAckg_5lLdjGX-SkmXkEZtDcalzC28fNQEOtNwldbEQBkWO_FKYETc-ZyVdTRfxeTllhJpVhBObvwW9jy4VUmbQpODLdNbN43OV2tZ2VHlF3ZPadwDjeKsqc5ZcZW0lWJvxnazFCCCav1ivTB6kJW0rLY14KYosIA2jwfC9gEM7iwb2RxFFcy6pagnUHXyLO2ecg8wSMOTl=w800-h382-no

note the copper one has the Manker Driver that is the good one to get. Im not sure, but maybe the Copper A01 on Bangood now have the Manker driver?

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
Are there many people still using Peak Eigers? I know the QTC can be finicky but it sounds like a nice setup to me. I've been trying to find a Nichia with no luck. Peak hasn't replied to my email about making one.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flint I'm almost positive that Bob at em-mgt.com can ship you what you want. Go to the site and click chat now and ask him directly. I just got my first Peak and I'm sold. Oddly enough I've got it up for sale right now but that's just because I wasn't sure if I'd like it and now that I KNOW I DO, I want one in stainless steel. There's a good chance I'll just keep this one too.
Are there many people still using Peak Eigers? I know the QTC can be finicky but it sounds like a nice setup to me. I've been trying to find a Nichia with no luck. Peak hasn't replied to my email about making one.

Last edited:

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
Flint I'm almost positive that Bob at em-mgt.com can ship you what you want. Go to the site and click chat now and ask him directly. I just got my first Peak and I'm sold. Oddly enough I've got it up for sale right now but that's just because I wasn't sure if I'd like it and now that I KNOW I DO, I want one in stainless steel. There's a good chance I'll just keep this one too.

OK, will do. Thanks for the info!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cancel that sir. I'm wrong on the Nichia. BUT, if you don't mind a warm tint the Hi CRI he has is great.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three 3000k AAA lights, an LMH, an MLH, and an MHL. This photo gives a good idea how Warm 3000k is, when acclimated to 6000k (all CCT look different at different white balance). Waking in the dark, the 3000k looks "normal", and the 6000k looks ridiculously blue.. "tint" perception is relative to frame of mind :)

L-R, Stock Maratac 6000k, Stock Worm 4500k (same N219b as stock Tool), Maratac modded w LMH driver and 3000k High CRI XPG (same LED as Warm Eiger)
O5MqEXT8At90o3BEuS9G38b46TS7K9UvPF0YuHtUqOoKsX9e3jSn7Ejk3HXyAXTqP0yb4uHlCYmUzP1KaYwR5vVkI6dNmrX6CrgL3Lp_EXNxavqvYk7EzlSHSrLkrLcHBDODQIEqBNpULUgCB-6e0n9Mc4xJPQJxGa4FddFq20uczTKk-LnHnLznv_1q4E8cSywC_a98rwbAHPSfiEG6US2ivrSht4uZqNfZO7neNF_FpATx6G3ljoJv8BgzcrOCeyZU9Fv6Wu0EQYXuSQsOjt1CBVe6mJgSPI7q1DE8piRYrzzYpxaKWzy3mWHVK2V1z6jBRxCZACrkWXj_eNKKgbDFvVEfG7SVnT8myiPitLWb8qBTdz_1TVuWBTEfzBr6pPjM_jnU3WhGceX9K4c1jbEryL6lLURj2BOoJRNMovte3xUkJxfWvg6fimsvrI5CSyNZmfDXJpVUNE7yj04EExHXz0Lu70b7LFVhneIKHfArPfynm9cv0DAK8d7CmyV4T4cjFgNdODXP9zD2AXdXlBu-tC6zShzIvSKRKspcZRYxfVp5fd2DSwEV0eGOPkSbbdWzz0VAijMcDZ0kRYkPu7l8C3aHcKcwFSOYm18UadrwSIg6wpeC=w1202-h902-no

I EDC the Nichia, the Warm XPG is great for low light, nightstand, inside a camper late at night..
I dont use Cool white atm.. on a CRI kick..

ps,
pm me if interested in an XPG modded Copper Maratac w stock MLH modes..

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use them frequently, but not with QTC. Mine are all single-level, #4 power. For me #4 is the perfect level for the brightness/runtime tradeoff and it's what Peak used to call "high power" or "H". I mostly use them as portable headlamps to clip to the bill of a cap.

I've had a couple of Peak Nichias but, AFAIK, those were only available through Oveready. The QTC ones I've had have all been very unreliable and, to me, reliability is the the whole point of owning a Peak.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a stainless Eiger lug body with the new XPG3 emitter. I went with Level 2 on this one. I'm aiming to get around 10 lumens or so which should give me pretty good runtime. Hope to have it by the end of the week. I feel a AAA\Peak addiction beginning to form.

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone. Jon, thanks for the color temperature info and pics!

I wish there were a way to perfect the QTC in use. I understand it's a crude way of controlling electricity but surely it can be improved to be less jumpy and more stable? The QTC is really the most appealing part of the Eiger to me. I've read where people bought QTC squares online and added an extra one to smooth out the ramping.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Astrolux seems to come on low each time, but I had bought a couple of spares on special and I've tried them - they seem to do the stupid 'next mode' thing.
That has to be the worst UI 'feature' I've ever seen, my cheap Meco zoomie does the same thing and I really hate it.

The Manker E01 for $15.95 is a very nice light which doesn't have 'next-mode' memory and I'd highly recommend it, especially for people that like a light to come on ultra-low mode first every time. The Nichia emitter gives nicer light than most Cree emitters and 102 lumens on high is plenty capable for most tasks. Mine just arrived today and I'm pleased that the UI works as I expect it to.

Review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?416443-Review-MANKER-E01-(Nichia-219-1x-AAA)

My copper Astrolux A01 hasn't arrived yet, I'll let you guys know what driver it has once I get it.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear your update that the changes were just to the Astrolux version, and not the Manker.

I suspect "next mode" memory was not intentional, but rather a sloppy design in whatever driver Astrolux switched to, such that drivers retains the last state far, far too long. I wonder if you kept track of the last mode used in the Astrolux, and tested it again hours or perhaps over a day later, if it would come on in the next mode, or finally have forgotten and come on in low.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Manker E01 for $15.95 is a very nice light which doesn't have 'next-mode' memory
My copper Astrolux A01 hasn't arrived yet, I'll let you guys know what driver it has once I get it.

Excellent info, thank you for confirming the Manker E01 has NoMemory,

good luck w the copper Astrolux A01

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect "next mode" memory was not intentional, but rather a sloppy design in whatever driver Astrolux switched to, such that drivers retains the last state far, far too long. I wonder if you kept track of the last mode used in the Astrolux, and tested it again hours or perhaps over a day later, if it would come on in the next mode, or finally have forgotten and come on in low.

I think you are correct and the light I use every day does have this next mode memory but works fine every morning - I'll do some tests to find out how long it takes before it resets.
The Manker claims to remember for 10 seconds, I'm OK with that.

But the Astrolux even a few minutes after turning it off will come on in the next mode which is really annoying. If you want medium mode (7 lumens) it is annoying to have it come on at 102 lumens. It makes sense that if it is on one mode and you turn it off and then on again you get the next mode - that is how changing mode works on these lights. What doesn't make sense is to use the light on one mode and turn it off again and then 5 minutes later turn it on and get the next mode - that would often not be what you wanted. The problem is worse with this light than with many others because the first mode is a very low firefly mode, people that buy the light because they like that feature might want to turn the light on to see but not be dazzled by bright light, then turning the light on again 5 minutes later they get dazzled by a much brighter light level.

Testing:
I tried 5 minutes after turning off my Astrolux - came on in the next mode.
I thought I'd see if it was 10 minutes instead of the 10 seconds it should be, forgot about it and then 35 minutes had passed (oops) turned it on and it was in the next mode!
If you are camping and in pitch blackness you want some light but not too much this might work great, but if you want to check something half an hour later this isn't the best light to use - even 7 lumens is far too much for dark adapted vision!

Edit 1: 4 Hours - Astrolux HAD reset and came on low, I'll try 2 hours and see what happens.
Edit 2: 2 Hours - Astrolux went to next mode.
So far it takes longer than 2 hours but less than 4 hours to go to firefly mode instead of the next mode after whatever you last used.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my copper Astrolux - it has the Manker driver and the UI works good (yay).
glad to hear it
any other impressions you want to share are welcome

afaik this one also has the Manker marked driver
Copper Astrolux A01 $20
note the A0 is LMH 0.01/7/100
<begin my opinion>
and has a uselessly low low, and an impractical medium :devil: (ymmv)

and here is one of the best bargain deals w a Nichia, that I know of today</opinion>

Lumintop Anodized Black Tool w Nichia 219B
$10.95
20/3/80 lumen MLH mode sequence (my preference

now, for my criteria,
my top pick today, for a AAA, is the Copper Maratac w Nichia, same modes as the Tool w Nichia 20/3/80. It has every feature I look for. Efficient regulated driver, even on high, noPWM, twisty, tail stands, reversible hat clip, N219b, and Copper!:)