wjv

Enlightened
Dang bykfixer, you got all sorts of cool toys!!!!! :D :D :D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's some 1 double a numbers.
You think the solitaire is dim?

These range from the 1930's to the 1960's

Two left are Eveready Commander Jr's, right are a pre- Fulton Kwik Lite and a post Fulton Tom Thumb

How 'bout some tail shots?

Eveready Comaders circa 1965-67

Had to toss in a Pentagon eX2

wjv

Enlightened
Just picked up a few more:

H5oVZQJ.jpg

Left to Right

Eveready Art Deco - Narrow boat switch - circa 1952
Ray-O-Vac brushed ribbed steel with red trim - circa 1970
Eveready/Union Carbide Commander" Chrome with Red Head - circa 1976
Fulton MX-991/U "army" with Red/Blue/White filters and clear diffuser - circa 1955

The Art Deco and the Fulton I just picked up today at so antique shops. The Fulton was $15 and the Art Deco was $5.

Upon getting home I found out that both of them were dead.

Fulton: Dug out the ohm meter and checked the switch and it was ok. Then I checked the bulb by hooking it to a battery and it was ok. After that I just cleaned the contacts and bent one or two of them a bit so that they would make a better connection. That's all it took and in 15 minutes it was working just fine.

Eveready Art Deco: Even though the exterior was in pretty nice condition, I only wanted to pay $5 for this light as the inside was heavily corroded from leaky batteries. The switch could be moved, but only with significant effort. But I figured I'd take a gamble.

First thing I did was check the bulb, and it was good. Next I took some very fine emery cloth and sanded the back side of the reflector, where the metal strip from the switch makes contact with the reflector assembly. Still no go.

Then I went nuclear filled the body of the light with a 50% vinegar solution. Lots of bubbling and chemical interactions ensued. I let the body drain through the switch assembly so all the vinegar solution was pouring through the switch. Then I took a piece of dowel rod and used it to breakup some of the corrosion in the inside of the tube. Also worked the switch back and forth a couple dozen time.

I repeated the above two more times.

After the third time I was working the switch and suddenly it was as if something broke free, and the switch was no longer stiff and hard to push. So I worked it a couple dozen more times, and then finally rinsed the body and switch with plain water.

After everything dried out I put it all together and the light worked. . . . But it worked too well. I couldn't shut the light off. It ends up that the insulating ring around the edge of the reflector had deteriorated to the point where it no longer was isolating the reflector from the ground.

SHviodX.jpg

The Light worked fine when i just held the reflector in place, but as soon as I put the lens cap on, it was an "eternal flame". . So off to the farm store. Found a thin 44-46 mm 'O' ring for $1.99 and placed it on the back of the reflector so when i tighten the head down, the reflector no longer touches the body tube. And now the light works perfectly!
hdMN8FH.jpg

I have a 3x'D' Eveready Captain (10") that should be arriving early next week.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good save!! The o-ring idea is brilliant :twothumbs

If you don't mind a little extra coin output Fulton has an upgrade kit for the 991 where it's D to double A adapter tubes and a pretty good PR based LED module. That alone was worth the $18 to me. They don't have a "store" per-sae but if you email them you start a chat with their head of sales, which again was part of the fun.

Did you get the one with the right slash / or the left slash \ ? Most had the right slash, but some had a left slash between the 991 and the U. Don't know the signifigance and niether did Tom at Fulton.

Another fun little mod, especially for those light weight- thin tube'd lights is an Eneloop D to double A adapter and a Mag white star krypton bulb. It's causes you to ponder if you even have batteries in those super light weight bodies. And the Mag bulb really brightens up the output. It's like adding an old Saab turbo charger to your under powered old Honda CVCC car and won't melt the plastic parts n pieces of those 70's Eveready's.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
left slash \ . . . . I guess that means it's worth $15.10 instead of $15.00!! :D

But if I were to sell it on eBay I could list it as "Extremely Rare - Left Slash - Limited Edition", and ask $150 :whistle:

wjv

Enlightened
Haunted Flashlight!

Looking on ebay and noticed this photo. (last light on the right)

Zp1Qc48.jpg

Probably the reflection of the person who took the picture, or just simple visual matrixing. .

Or maybe it really is HAUNTED!!!

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
3xD Captain
Arrived dead, but a simple cleaning and adjustment to the contact under the bulb fixed the problem.

ARyLivD.jpg

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
The Whole Gang

N0SEhD4.jpg

Eveready 2 Cell Vulcanite Baby Flashlight with Walleye Lens 1xC 2602 ~1914
Eveready Captain / Union Carbide - Small 6" Chrome USA 2xC 9231 ~1963
Eveready - Chrome & Black 2xD Art Deco ~1952
Eveready Commander w/ red head 2xD 5251 ~ 1976

FMySWfh.jpg

Eveready Captain / Union Carbide - 10" Chrome - Wide Head 3xD 9352 ~ 1965
Eveready - Pre-Captain 5xD 2552? ~ 1952

VuDu5rh.jpg

Ray-O-Vac - "baby" 2C Sportsman ~1965
Ray-O-Vac Sportsman 2xD Sportsman ~1965
Ray-O-Vac - Brushed Steel w/ red head 2xD ~1970
Ray-O-Vac 100 anniversary retro - LED 2xD 2016

CTdDWrp.jpg

Unknown Mfg (candle or signal light) 1xC ~???
Top-Lite- Ford - Chevy 2xD ~ 1960
Winchester - Olin - Bond Aluminum with Black Casing with Ring Hanger 2xD ~1949
Ranger Chrome 2xD ~1948
Homart Copper 2xD ~1940
Ash Flash - Tri Color w/red tail cap light 2xD Tri Color ~1955
Fulton Army - w. lenses 2xD MX-991/U ~ 1955

They all work. . .

Last edited:

irongate

Enlightened
Re: The Whole Gang

It is so much fun bidding against friends here on ---- for some of these lights now.:thumbsup:

One of these days will have to learn how to post pictures here-old school here.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

A recent addition to the vintage collection.

Nothing special, nothing too radical, but I thought it was cool.

A 2D Eveready circa 1960's
But...

Doubles as a compass

A fairly accurate one at that

Doesn't really show in the beam except up close.
It shows up backward in the beam and the needle is fixed unless in tailstand position.

I'll clean it up some so the dull alluminum can sparkle some.

wjv

Enlightened

I like that. . .
A compass light!!! :D:D:D:D

wjv

Enlightened

Is the whole body plastic, or is part of the body metal?