Vintage 'open frame' lights

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I was getting through a few overdue restorations and picked up the Davenset hand lamp to clean and get working. Here it is.

20240127_155317.jpg

These were marketed under the Ever Ready and Helensen brand too (Davenset was a maker of automotive accessories). What's unique is the battery actually makes up the body of the lamp - without it, the lamp is just a bare frame. This is the rear. You can see the frame is quite skeletal.
20240127_155343.jpg

Here's a period advertisement.

unnamed.jpg

What I particularly like about this is the battery, which contains 3 x 3 D batteries, so you get a much longer life back in the times when batteries were not so advanced. Unfortunately they are no longer available, so I carefully opened and rebuilt my one.

The switch is simple and positive. Just slides over.

20240127_155334.jpg

I'm not sure if these were sold worldwide, but they definitely are interesting looking. The exposed battery meant the light looked different depending on which battery maker you chose. Bit of advertising going on too!
Here's the besmshot - a bright centre with striations of light - typical of a cup-shaped reflector.
20240127_155519.jpg

Anyone else got one of these in their collection? If you see one for sale with an original depleted battery it's simple enough to rebuild. I used rechargeable batteries so I can replenish it just by applying Voltage to the terminals.
Hope you enjoyed.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have an Energizer Industrial (modern) that takes a screw in type lantern battery that old farmer's used to use, but I can't force myself to buy one of those expensive batteries, since I'll probably never use it anyways.

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
I do have an Energizer Industrial (modern) that takes a screw in type lantern battery that old farmer's used to use, but I can't force myself to buy one of those expensive batteries, since I'll probably never use it anyways.
I know the ones. They look good but as you say, expensive and not likely to be used much. I think those are tge same size as 2 lantern batteries side by side.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the ones. They look good but as you say, expensive and not likely to be used much. I think those are tge same size as 2 lantern batteries side by side.
Yup. I have a regular lantern that just has the spring terminals in the trunk of my car and it never gets used. The screw in terminal batteries are about double the size. And not easy to locate anymore.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Maybe I'll make some toad in the hole and something else super bland and boil some tea before I watch the telly. Eastenders is on in a half hour.. where's the crumpets?"

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Hehe, a lot of British stuff is pretty eccentric. You see their culture and it's like... what ? And they think Americans are weird lol.

Who eats beans on toast... really... :D
I always ask for my beans next to the toast. Otherwise the toast can get a bit soggy.
I think it's good the USA and UK are so different. Only the US could come up with SureFire (which I loved). I still can't believe how different US roads and cars are though compared to the UK. My 4 door 5 seat car has 44 hp. An American friend said that was less than his lawnmower 😶

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
Is that a screw bulb? I've noticed that good quality/bright screw bulbs are getting hard to find in some voltages.