Walmart Supercenter GITD Products

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
so i was in a walmart supercenter roaming around and i found 2 products they had that were glow in the dark.

1st was a glow in the dark latex paint. i can't comment on this one since i didn't buy it. it was around $5. it was for a variety of surfaces, some that they recommend to be primered first. i also saw gitd latex paint in home depot of a different brand.

2nd was a glow in the dark 3-D paint. this is the one i bought. it's about $2. i would say it's like paint. it seems like elmer's glue with glow particles. or like silicone caulk with glow particles. it can be used on clothes and wood etc. no mention of metal.
anyway, it comes out like elmers glue. they had a white color and a fluorescent yellow color. the white one i bought went on white and then turned clear as it dried. when it dried it had a feeling of silicone like you would use on your bathtub. it was rubbery. it also shrunk about half in thickness.
now i wouldn't recommend this 3-D paint for being used on a flashlight. it just doesn't do a clean job and doesn't dry hard.
what i would recommend it is for fabric and filling in. because it's flexible it goes in fabric and bends with it. it does make the fabric a little stiffer.
i used it for coating my flashlight holsters. i also used it on my headlamp straps over the letters of "petzl" . the gitd paint stretches no problem and holds.
i also used it my fauxtons. i unscrewed the case and coated the led on the sides and the back. i guess you could fill in the whole case if you wanted. so now the fauxtons glow when you light it up.
i also used it on my walkie talkies. there are some crevices on the front and back. it fills in spaces neatly.

so i would say it's a good inexpensive gitd material that i would recommend for filling in spaces and fabrics. spaces like round spaces or cup type spaces where the paint which is very liquidy can settle in. not spaces like a gap around a flashlight bezel.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Sounds like it could have some great possibilities for flashlights to me!

JetBeam Jet-1 series lights have grooves that in the beginning were intended to hold a tiny tritium vial. Some were filled by GITD epoxy. The WalMart stuff sounds like it would be great for that.

It sounds like it would work great on the back of twisty lights like the Fenix L0 series, and LiteFlux twisties.

If it's flexible and adhesive enough, it sounds like it might even go well in the gap between the rubber boot and the outer tailcap of clicky lights - as an alternative to GITD o-rings there.

:popcorn:

I'm going to have to get some and play around with it. :thumbsup:

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
I've been playing with the latex Krylon stuff for a few years. I use it everywhere because it's cheap but should warn everyone -it is no where near as bright or long glowing as more modern GID stuff. It does flow very well but it reduces as it dries- leaving smeared edges. It never fully hardens but ends up resembling latex caulk. It is almost clear- I wrote over the white paint on my walls and you can't tell except for maybe 10 seconds after turning off the lights. It's cheap fun- but the performance isn't on par with say- glowinc's paints.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mess with this stuff. Just get the Strontium Aluminate/Europium stuff. The Strontium Aluminate/Europium is ten times brighter and lasts much much longer, like 10-14 hours. You can see the glow all night long. It is well worth it.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Don't forget to check out the GITD tent pegs at Wal-mart over in the camping section. A package of six is under 10 bucks and they can be used like reuseable chemlights. I've not tried them as intended as a tent peg yet, but they would be handy to mark stuff at night.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know nothing abotu this company other then what is on thier website, but for tent stakes you might try out - http://coolglowstuff.com/page9.html

They have a lot of interesting stuff and they say they glow for up to 12 hours, so I assume it is strontium aluminate stuff. http://coolglowstuff.com/index.html

BTW, if any one knows anything about them let me know because I am thinking about ordering from them.

Latest posts