• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Warning against McGizmo clips

Buffalohump

Enlightened
I have several of these and find them to be excellent quality....

HOWEVER, they should never be used to hook onto a split ring, especially the smaller ones, as they will detach very easily, with sufficient movement and twisting action.

The ring it is attached to must be of substantial dimensions and there should be as little movement allowed as possible for this to be reliable.

The other option is to use a swivel clip, which Lighthound also stock. These are also very good quality and the one I have has a VERY strong gate spring.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1520

mchlwise

Enlightened
Buffalohump said:
...they should never be used to hook onto a split ring, especially the smaller ones, as they will detach very easily, with sufficient movement and twisting action.

The other option is to use a swivel clip, which Lighthound also stock. These are also very good quality and the one I have has a VERY strong gate spring.

It depends on the size of the split ring they're hooked on to. As I said before, I hooked a nano clip onto a split ring, and was unable to get it to release. The next day, I got a titanium screw-link which has a smaller diameter than the split ring. It popped rignt off.

So I'm back to hanging my C-LE from the split ring that attaches the clip to the light!

I also have some Lighthound clips, and the gate IS very strong. My problem with them is that they're chrome over low-grade metal, not solid stainless steel like the "McGizmo" clips are. Still, they're very useful in areas where corrosion might not be a factor.

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned the Hard Way. Lost my favorite cigar punch. It's somewhere out there
smile.gif

I've been able to twist off all of the rings that i have through the gate of these clips like Houdini. I suggest each person try and then decide for themselves. I lost my cigar punch which was clipped to my main ring when i was in a rush. Usually happens that way and you don't see it until later.

On another note my wife lost a car remote whose split-ring came off the main ring. So anything can happen.

SF2

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
A good swivel is great in many applications but not trivial or inexpensive in manufacture. With the tiny clips, the swivel can often make it much more difficult to get a good hold on the clip for cliping and un cliping.

I have been after a Ti version of a clip like the 35 mm or 25 mm clip for years but haven't found a vendor yet. I did get some samples of the clips done with TiCN plating and these were nice but the plating was as expensive as the clip and since these clips are 316 stainless with good corrosion resistance, the plating was effectively a cosmetic feature and not worth it, IMHO.

The major weenie told me he found a source for a small Ti clip but I don't think he ever acted on it. :shrug:

When I was with Suncor, they had a vendor in the Ukraine who provided many with Ti hardward (marine related) and they had a version of the tiny Wichard snap shackle they had done in Ti. I bought a good number of them and rotate them among items and tethers on stuff I simply can't afford to have release from their connection. The snap shackle is not cheap and it is not quick but it is significantly more secure!

With good geometry in your system, these little clips and carabiners will never let you down in use but with the wrong geometry, you can cont on the clips capsizing and you don't even to depress the gate directly yourself when you learn the puzzle and how to accomplish the capsize. I have had static hanging systems where I intentionally used the attachment point to capsize the gate and I could rotate the clip and capsize the gate easier than depressing it with my digits.

The best phillips screwdriver in the world will not work on a slot screw. These clips serve a function but you need to understand their nature.

Last edited:

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Don. The more you understand your equipment's limitations the better you can use it. These clips are so tiny that i remove them by twisting off vice trying to get my finger to push on the spring. For a more "permanent" connection i prefer clipping these to THICK rings that barely fit through the gate. I can't twist these off and have to use the harder method of depressing the spring with my finger.
SF2

Vatra

Newly Enlightened
Reviving an old thread... Who is the manufacturer of these clips and how can I contact him? Thanks!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Reviving an old thread... Who is the manufacturer of these clips and how can I contact him? Thanks!

I have these clips made for me from a factory offshsore. I import them and sell them wholesale.