Was this the original inspiration for Anduril ?

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
Found this chart in this old review of an LiteFlux LF3XT on everydaycommentary.com

So was this the initial inspiration for Anduril UI ?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Andúril UI was developed by reddit user and BLF member ToyKeeper, who also developed the earlier Narsil UI. The UI names are borrowed from J.R.R. Tolkien's epic trilogy, The Lord of the Rings: Narsil was a longsword wielded by King Elendil during the War of the Last Alliance and used by his son, Isildur, to cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand during the final battle of that war, being shattered in the process. It consequently was known as the Sword that was Broken. Narsil was much later reforged into Andúril, and would become the sword of Aragorn II Elessar Telcontar, aka the ranger Strider.

As far as what the inspiration for these flashlight interfaces are... I'm not sure the question makes a lot of sense, unless it be that ToyKeeper wanted a decent, usable, complex flashlight interface, and this desire inspired her to develop Narsil, which like the sword of the same name, was further developed into Andúril. I think it's probably unlikely she owned or knew of the LiteFlux interface, and I don't see much similarity between Andúril and the LF3XT interface. When you only have one button, superficially all flashlight interfaces may seem to be similar. The LF3XT is dominated by a double press, which is very rarely used in Andúril.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I remember it Toykeeper freely acknowledges that ramping function originated from someone else. She brought more to the table for sure. I do not know about LiteFlux but never read any connection to Anduril.

At one point Toykeeper made a reverse clicky ramping setup that is sort of OK but not as easy as with an electronic switch. I have one from PFlexPRO. It is called Crescendo (not sure of spelling).

idleprocess

Flashaholic
When you only have one button, superficially all flashlight interfaces may seem to be similar.
At a certain point of forced simplicity a local minimum for all comers with the same constraints is all but inevitable. With the single-button exclusive UI where the only feedback is clicking and the LED(s) reacting there's only so much room to maneuver. The need to combine daily use functions with occasional configuration functions demands simpler more easily-memorized actions for usage, more complex actions for configuration.