Watch bands: metal or rubber or nylon or leather?

TOB9595

Enlightened
Re: Watch bands: metal or \"rubber\"?

For summertime wear I like the metal bracelet. That's only about three months hereabouts.
Other times I switch off straps as the mood takes me.
I enjoy the Seiko Monsters as they allow easy access to the springbar from holes on the outside of the lugs.
Summer time wear
bmbracelet002.jpg

Other moods
On my wrist now. Hirsch Carbon Fiber with deployment clasp
bmhirschcf001.jpg

My California surfer mood. Orange strap is rubber.
ORANGE01.jpg

Pebble grain tan leather
omtan02.jpg

Tom
edit: I meant to add that I like the thin, flexible Natos quite a bit.

X33

Enlightened

I use nylon fabric straps similar to the Rhino watch bands on countycomm. The one I use is called Waterborne- Australia. Get them from a dive shop in London. Different widths available as well as black or silver buckles. Its not as sweaty as metal or rubber in the summer and if needed I just wash it with a bit of soap and an old toothbrush. No need to remove lugs either. Since it goes under the watch you won't loose your watch if one lug pops out. Happened to me once.

BobVA

Enlightened

If you're getting a relatively expensive (i.e. >$300) watch, the usual watch idiot-savant advice is ALWAYS get the bracelet rather than the strap.

The reasoning is that you get can good straps, that look good on your watch, from a variety of sources (e.g. Hirsh, Rhino, etc.) but if you get the watch with a strap and eventually want a bracelet it can be very hard to then get the OEM version. Anything else probably won't look right on the watch. (The watch web sites usually have at least one or two "WTB" posts looking for a specific bracelet in any given week.)

Even if you don't ever want the bracelet, if you want to eventually resell the watch, an OEM bracelet makes it more valuable (even more so if it's unworn).

If you're getting an inexpensive beater, go for what you like and don't worry about it. You can always change it later.

Cheers,
Bob

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I prefer the rubber. Easy to rinse off, never gets smelly, doesn't pinch hair, etc. As far as the sweating, I've found if you were it 1-latch looser than skin-tight, it allows air to circulate.

JML

Enlightened

You are getting two different kinds of answers. First, generic answers about rubber vs. metal, and then about your particular Luminox.

The real answer, IMHO, is that it depends on the strap or bracelet itself. Some metal link bracelets are great, and some are poorly designed and built. Same for rubber straps. The old Rolex bracelet had cheap end pieces and a cheap clasp, but the newer bracelets have solid machined and milled steel endpieces and clasps.

In your situation, I think the rubber strap is a superior choice on the Luminox. Their metal bracelets, at least the several I've seen, are very poorly designed and executed variants of the breed. In particular, the attachment to the watch case (the final link, through which the spring bar goes, and the first small link) is really poorly done. The links all abrade each other, and the final link is simple folded sheetmetal. The Seal watch bracelets are worse than some of their others (the many Luminox watch models are made by different vendors for the importer, who has a license agreement with the Swiss maker of the tritium tubes on the dials and hands -- they're not all done in the same place!). The rubber strap is very thick, and it has a milk chocolate smell (yes, many makers have added a vanilla or chocolate component to their straps, to mask the rubber odor).

Deployant clasps come in all shapes and styles. The folding clasp used on most metal bracelets is usually a cheap and large stamped-and-folded-steel job. Better ones are milled and machined, if they're part of a metal bracelet. For leather straps, you can get many superb single- and double-fold deployants (some have locking buttons); the advantages of a deployant are that they don't force you to bend the strap to put it on and take it off, so the leather lasts much longer, and you are much less likely to drop the watch when putting it on or taking it off! But it would be difficult to find one to fit the thick Luminox rubber strap.

The weight in the Luminox metal Seal watches is in the case, not the crystal. The 44 mm case is far larger than that Rolex, but nowhere near as nicely done. That's not a fair comparison!

The spring bar is always a weak point, unless you get a very rare watch with super-beefy spring bars (some Seikos). Most are one of two thicknesses, and even Rolex spring bars aren't very thick. You can look for watches with screwed-on straps, of course.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, this is all great info.

JML, thanks, you make a good point that I asked a generic question, but in reality, perhaps a specific one is what I want.

I also like the point about it being easier to get a rubber strap later than the OEM metal braclet. In fact, I had this issue with my Rolex. I priced out a replacement braclet and it was 1/4 of what I paid for the watch! (Perhaps not fair since that was 12+ years ago, but still...)

Anyone have a Luminox Ti w/rubber strap they can weigh?

Thanks,

-john

Frangible

Enlightened

JML: I disagree about the quality of the Luminox metal bracelet... I think it's well made. I'm wearing it now. If you expect a $300 watch to have the same fit and finish as a $7000 watch, I don't know what to say.

John N: You can buy replacement Luminox bands.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/luwaba.html

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Frangible,

I didn't see any rubber bands there listed for the 36xx series. I'm wondering if one of the others is the same one?

Tom, I really like the Seiko Orange Monster, but it's too bad it doesn't use a saphire crystal.

-john

JML

Enlightened

Well, I just don't think the Luminox bracelet is what it ought to be for the watch's price point, and neither is the machining on the case (I have had the plastic body model for years, and I went through many samples a few years ago before giving up on the stainless model; the ti models I've seen aren't much better). I think the center links also mar the other links where they connect, and I've seen much better bracelet design in the $250-500 range (many Citizen models, for example). The blackened bracelets always show the marks where the color is worn off, and the steel and Ti ones do the same, but it's less obvious.

One other point: On most watches, the connector link that attaches the bracelet to the case will leave some kind of mark on the case when you take it off, so if that bothers you, get the strap model first (it bugs me to no end!). But it is always cheaper to buy the bracelet and watch together.

If you can try the watch before you buy, see how the bracelet feels -- you can find these in many places (Sharper Image carries them, or they used to).

You should also see if you can get the Tracer watch from Europe, without the Luminox logo. Several places carry it, and some US dealers, too. WatchUseek: http://www.watchuseek.com/ and DeutschOptik, in the US, for example. Same watch, slightly different dial, more like the original SandY version. And check out Bill Yao's custom dial and crystal work, at Mark II Watches: http://www.mkiiwatches.com/index.html

If you want parts, including bracelets and straps, check out the authorized service center, at http://www.easycarts.net/ecarts/ShoppingCart/Luminox_Watch_Parts_and_Accessories.html

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I'm thinking about getting the Ti Luminox pretty soon and thought I'd revisit this topic. It occured to me that I should consider straps other than what Luminox provides.

In particular, I'd like to see more from folks who have put leather, nylon, carbon fiber, kevlar, whatever on their Lumniox watches. How to do you like it? What are the pros and cons?

Also, can someone indicate what size band needs to be used?

Thanks,

-john

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like a good metal bracelet best and this usually complements the design of a fine watch. However if the watch looks good with a synthetic strap then that's OK also. For my summer wear I have a rubber strap. For my winter wear I have a stainless bracelet.

I have worn metal bracelets for a long time. My experience is that the Rolex bracelet is very durable but other brands, even Omega, are not. The Omega pins wore badly and broke frequently. Also the band would stretch due to wear in the pins and the pin holes. The Rolex has not stretched, worn or broken.

For maximum security the one-piece straps seem the best. I had a cheap nylon/velcro strap that I put on a Casio years ago. The strap went over one springbar, under the back of the watch, then out and over the other springbar. Therefor both springbars would have to break before you could lose your watch. My Omega fell off several times when one springbar broke. Fortunately it was not in a location where I could lose it.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm going with the nylon band on my 8 year old Timex Triathlon. For me, that fits my skinny wrist well and its pretty comfortable. If it does get dirty though, just remove the watch itself and give the band a good scrubdown in hot water with an old toothbrush and let it dry.

My original band wore out after 6 years but I was at Rite-Aid one day and found a band that matched exactly.

I wonder how I can take care of the numbers/letters that have worn off the face and buttons though. All my friends are surprised when I tell them how old my watch is.

leon_666

Newly Enlightened
I've been eyeing the Luminox Titanium Navy Seal watches, and I've been wondering what the pros and cons of the "rubber" vs the metal bands (other than style). Which is stronger? Which is more comfortable? Which is more secure? Any other thoughts you might have would be great. Thanks, -john Edit: Changed title to add nylon and leather.
Nice watch . I would recommend leather watch cuff like this.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been wearing my Seiko for over 45 years and have not had any of the connecting rings between the bars open up or fail. I have a feeling the Seiko will outlast me.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

NATO watch bands offer security from losing a watch due to a spring-bar breaking; I use Isofrane rubber diving watch bands.

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited:

JSPOWERPUNCH

Newly Enlightened
I've personally always been a fan of leather, just like the look and as long as you take care of it with leather treatments it last forever and is comfortable. Always like the Timex Expedition watches they "take a lickin and keep on tickin". I've had mine submerged underwater covered in pond muck. Nylon bands would probably be my second choice for everyday wear and metal for when I emerge from the forest and need to look presentable.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your weakest point in any strap is the pin connecting the strap to the body, so as far as strength goes, the strap material is not the issue.
I have preferences depending on what I will be doing.
Water present? No leather
I have a number of each material, and I would say I probably wear the metal band the most. It doesn't sweat like leather ( or absorb moisture), low maintenance, rubber can go funny with sunscreens.
Saying this, I have had a high end watch, with a metal band, that drove me crazy. Just the weight of the watch, the width of the band, and the torque it put on my wrist made it uncomfortable. Same maker of watch, on a different style band, and it is my most comfortable.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Y'all dug this thread out of hospice. ha! I like the feel & adjustability of NATO style straps, I like the look of leather, I like the ease of metals. The nylon bands stay damp and can create a oder. Leather will eventually break down or stretch, metal can pinch or pull hair and sometimes leave black stuff from either the band or lubricants in the links. Rubber gets hot and keeps moisture on between it and your skin. So like you folks, different bands for different situations. I have a croc band watch I only wear to work. Metal or rubber only to swim.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened

I love the steel bracelets, especially ion-plated, but they are such a pain to install and remove especially with solid end links. And depending on the maker even adjusting them to your wrist is a chore.

I've wanted to get a Luminox F-117 forever but heard that adjusting the links is so difficult you're bound to scratch something. I would totally buy one if they came pre-sized.

I've gone NATO or ZULU on most of mine. SOOO easy.

Rubber rots off after a while so don't really like those.

Latest posts