• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Makai 6V XM-L lights

djdawg

Enlightened
I just wanted to use rechargables instead of buying batts all the time.
I guess I,ll have to stick to the two RCR,s
Iam actually using two AW ICR123 750mah ............ the Eagle Tac batts wont fit , I thought they were all the same size ?????
I thought a 123 batt was a 123 batt ................so much to learn ....LOL

Let me refraise this .........Eagletacs fit but there too tight , harder to remove. if it ever swelled up , Id never get it out.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
You could remove the switch and push them out from the other side if that happened, but it's not a very convenient workaround.

djdawg

Enlightened
You could remove the switch and push them out from the other side if that happened, but it's not a very convenient workaround.
LOL .....I wouldnt know how to get the switch out .......LOL
Is there a how too video on this kind of stuff somewhere ?

djdawg

Enlightened
Goes to show you how much I know ..........I thought you always got brighter and longer run time with rechargables.

djdawg

Enlightened
I did some reading on it ..........I know if you use two batts to make sure they have the same charge in them.
Ive read alot of stuff people post on and in this forum ...........
But alot of what I read doesnt stick in my head , so I forget alot of it.
I just got my Makai and dont wanna have to buy batts, all the time .....so rechargeing will save me money .........
I thought its better to run one longer batt than two small ones.

DTF

Enlightened
I just got my Makai and dont wanna have to buy batts, all the time .....so rechargeing will save me money .........

I use my Makai every day and it's still on the first set of primary batteries, after more than a month. I find it much easier to just go ahead and buy a box of 50 high quality 123A batteries (at 50, you get a good discount) and forget about the hassles of recharging. I fully expect to get well more than a year of use from the box of 50.

I back up the use of primaries by using a good battery checker, so I know what the status is of the batteries before taking them to the field.

djdawg

Enlightened
Food for thought here ...........Thanks for your input.
Its not like I dont have any SF batts ............I just wanted to save them and use rechargeables.

bright light

Newly Enlightened
Djdawg. If you have the 6v LE in your Makai, use 2 primaries as this LE is optimized for that. While Don's 6v will happily do the 4.2v on a fresh 17670, the performance may not be what you have paid for. :)

Hi. I can understand that the run time will be longer with primaries, but are you also saying that the flashlight will be Brighter? I always thought the voltage governed this and two AW's have far greater voltage than two 3v primaries. But I'm not an expert

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightnest will be the same as it is regulated till it falls below a certain voltage. The RCR have only half the juice as compared to a primary. Fancy paying nearly $600 for the light and have only half hour usage. LOL

bright light

Newly Enlightened
The brightnest will be the same as it is regulated till it falls below a certain voltage. The RCR have only half the juice as compared to a primary. Fancy paying nearly $600 for the light and have only half hour usage. LOL

Well you learn something everyday.:thanks:

djdawg

Enlightened
[/Q The RCR have only half the juice as compared to a primary. UOTE]

I was under the impression that the RCR had more juice and would run a light longer.
Pretty sure thats what Ive been reading.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you are talking about the 18650 which packs 3400mA, then it has more than a primary.
But RCR123 (16340), it only have 750mA. Even double stacked, it just have higher voltage. The juice stays the same.

I think the primary is 1500mA.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don. In the original posting, you indicated that the 6V XML Makai is driven at 1400mA, are you driving it the same for a 6V XML Haiku?

I was cutting back on the current with the 6V LE when I was building with the XP-G LED but when I switched to the XM-L I kept the converter "stock" with the factory provided sense resistor which drives the light at high somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200-1400 mA. I keep it stock on the few Haiku XM-L 6V lights I have built as well. I consider high on these lights as a turbo mode and hope folks don't run them on high for long periods and especially set down, out of hand.