Weapon light that safely runs non-button top unprotected 18650’s?

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I am in need of a light for an AR pistol build. It's purpose will be primarily home defense, so indoors lighting is what I am after.

I am a long time fan of Zebralight headlamps and have a stable of unprotected 18650's that I would love to be able to use but I haven't found a tail switch operated light that uses them and has the protection circuitry built in to fit and safely run unprotected 18650's.

Ideally the light can run on cr123's as well just in case but I keep the 18650's tuned up and rotated already with an xtar backup battery/charger.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your budget?
When I think weapons light I automatically go to Malkoff. There's potted lights and then there's Malkoff's potted lights; they aren't the same.

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
I'm open to top of the line. I didn't see any Malkoffs that took unprotected 18650's. I can look again. Their website is atrocious when it comes to explaining the details about their lights.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm open to top of the line. I didn't see any Malkoffs that took unprotected 18650's. I can look again. Their website is atrocious when it comes to explaining the details about their lights.
Post any questions. Malkoff people will respond in droves
Malkoff's have tail and driver springs so unprotected should be no issue in any of their lights.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

This battery works in the E18650 body and the MD2 hosts. Battery is 64.8mm long

4C6F316D-746A-464B-86E7-C4900ED07A52.jpeg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was particularly helpful. Side note. I use NCR18650GA's which are 10A. I see you're using a 15A battery. Is there any advantage in the Malkoffs with a 15A vs. 10? The 10A is plenty in my Zebralights.

I just picked a random battery.
No advantage.
The higher current is never used

fulee9999

Enlightened
was the question about fit or electronics? physically Malkoffs take both protected and unprotected cells as well, they have springs in both ends.
One thing to keep in mind, that they do not have low-voltage protection ( or are what is called 'vampiric' ) meaning that they will drain unprotected 18650s below the safe voltage. They also take CR123s.

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
was the question about fit or electronics? physically Malkoffs take both protected and unprotected cells as well, they have springs in both ends.
One thing to keep in mind, that they do not have low-voltage protection ( or are what is called 'vampiric' ) meaning that they will drain unprotected 18650s below the safe voltage. They also take CR123s.
Both! That was my real concern. Zebralight has circuitry in the light itself so the battery doesn't need it.

I should have worded the original question better so I just edited it.

Is there a good weapin light that has circuitry protection in the light itself that safely runs and fits unprotected NCR18650GA's?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you turn on a weapon light enough to drain the battery beyond 2.5 volts on load then in real-life you will die anyways.

The most basic a driver is the more durable and reliable it is.

See what Surefire has to offer.

Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe no WML grade flashlight has low voltage protection.
Elzetta, SureFire, Malkoff, Modlite are all vampiric, some of them even forbid you to use rechargeables ( even if they work with them ).

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe no WML grade flashlight has low voltage protection.
Elzetta, SureFire, Malkoff, Modlite are all vampiric, some of them even forbid you to use rechargeables ( even if they work with them ).
I suppose there must be a reason for that. Coming from Zebralights it seems strange to me. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well. I guess I'll get some button tops.

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
If you turn on a weapon light enough to drain the battery beyond 2.5 volts on load then in real-life you will die anyways.

The most basic a driver is the more durable and reliable it is.

See what Surefire has to offer.
I'm not sure what you mean with your first sentence. I assume you mean it would take so long to drain the battery that any gunfight woukd be over before then?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's my weapon light then I'm using 2*CR123. The batteries will store for 10 years and they'll have enough capacity to outlast any WML situation.

A protected battery may or may not withstand recoil...Not all button tops are protected.

Here's an excellent 1*CR123 option: https://malkoffdevices.com/products/e2-scout-m600-2-3-cr123-head
Here's an excellent 2*CR123 option: https://malkoffdevices.com/products/e2-scout-m600-2-3-cr123-head
Here is an exceptional but huge battery drainer 2*CR123 options: https://malkoffdevices.com/products/e2-super-scout-m600-2cr123-high-output-head

fulee9999

Enlightened
if you're thinking about buying batteries, you can also go 16650, and here you can even buy a whole set, while pick and choosing to your need:

or a 18650 solution:

The great thing about Malkoff heads is that you can put them on different lights later, or just change the head to a different one on your weapon mount.
Here is my Malkoff E2XT head on a handheld 16650 body:

1655668548842.png

( this thing throws like a mf )

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose there must be a reason for that. Coming from Zebralights it seems strange to me. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well. I guess I'll get some button tops.

The reason is two-fold... one it takes energy to work. So it'll drain the battery faster.
Same with the reverse voltage, takes energy as well.
And two -- if it fails then your light may not come on because it may assume low voltage.