Wee Da Order list & Clarification

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep us up to date on what you do with it Dave.

I have been playing with my DA all day long, it has a great feel to it. Like I said earlier it reminds me of something from Alien, futuristic retro, dark goth, very cool unlike my other lights, definitely a lifetime keeper.

PS if you put an aspheric lenses or magnifying lense in front it will project the Damascus pattern on the wall, cool!

I started looking at mine closely and it has some distressed marks on the valley floors as well as the peaks. The black oxide that makes up the distressed marks is very fragile. The distressed marks are simply an uneven coating of the oxide. Because the oxide layer is fragile it will wear off the peaks in time if you use the light at all. My preference is to take it off now.

It will even wear off the valley floors if the valley is wide like about 10 to 20% of them are around the outside. I said in an earlier post that you may want to leave the oxide on the valley floor to keep as high a contrast as you can.

The oxide can be rubbed off of the peaks with the end of a chopstick or pointy end of a hard wood stick. Careful! If you take it off it is never coming back so don't slip and hit the floor of a wide valley! I recommend taking a chopstick and sanding the big end of it to a flat like a screwdriver blade. This shape rubbed along the peaks (parallel to the axis of the cylinder) will scrape the oxide right off and leave shiny metal showing through. This is easy and quick and takes 95% the distressed marks away.

I also tried emery cloth and it worked too. It is very fast, only a couple swipes and the black is gone. The emery cloth is easy to wrap around the diameter of the light and it will not touch the valley floors.

I am probably going to polish my Wee :)crackup:) and take all the oxide off of it, but for now I will leave the valley floors alone just to see what it will look like.

Cheers
Dave

iaind

Newly Enlightened
Now that the first 10 have more or less stopped annoying the rest of us with their effusive praise, is there any update on when the higher numbers might expect so see something?

Iain (sadly, number 30 on the list)...

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is after a few minutes with a chopstick rubbing the side. The red arrow points to a spot on a valley floor.

IMG_0434.JPG

paramecium

Newly Enlightened
Hi Rob! Got my Wee Da today......metallic beautiousness!!!
Many thanks to you and Dennis for the wonderful work on these.

Matt

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
This shows the finish after very light polishing with a fluffy cloth wheel and white polish compound. It did not remove much metal. Looking closely you can still see the pitted/frosted valley floor resulting from the acid. This polishing was enough however to take out all the tool marks on the peaks and leave them with a shiny polish.

IMG_0439.JPG

donn_

Flashaholic
Data...do I understand this correctly? The post-chopstick photo seems to indicate the dark residue from the etching is not at all a permanent coloring?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data...do I understand this correctly? The post-chopstick photo seems to indicate the dark residue from the etching is not at all a permanent coloring?

That is true. The oxide layer covers both types of stainless. It sticks better to the frosted valley floors though.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:anyone:
Tap...tap....tap.... Is this thing on?

~Chip

Dennis has completed the 14 Wee Da's which are on there way back to me here in the UK.
Hopefully they will arrive next week & we can get them to there owners.
:thanks:

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
Thanks for the update Rob, I know I can't wait to get mine:D. I finally got to see your work in person when I splashed that Raw and Wee for Olaf and it's really gotten my Wee desire going:drool: (BTW, can you drop me a PM and let me know if they've made it back yet?)

~Chip

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a new camera today (Panasonic Lumix LX3) and what else would I be experimenting on..... just two of my first shots (in the middle of the night, incan lighting):

weeda1.jpg

weeda2.jpg

Eric

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Nice Eric! That LX3 is supposed to be a sweet cam - a good emergency backup or scouting cam for architectural photography (my profession), due to its wide angle lens.
Great pics!
:thumbsup: john

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool Photos Eric :twothumbs
I am really thrilled with my LX3 which we have had since Dec 08.

I have received the next 14 Wee Da from Dennis all etched. Assembled yesterday & ready to take the final balance from the next 14 on the list.
I will send emails later today.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool Photos Eric :twothumbs
I am really thrilled with my LX3 which we have had since Dec 08.

I have received the next 14 Wee Da from Dennis all etched. Assembled yesterday & ready to take the final balance from the next 14 on the list.
I will send emails later today.
Hi Rob,

Congratulations to the next 14 on the list:thumbsup:. Do you have a time-frame for the last 10 of us on the list (I'm #32)?

Cheers,
Steve

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: Steve, I'll come back to you with a lead time on the final few.
Lets see how this second batch go in regard to the balance payments.

Emails sent right up to No. 26 on the list.
Please do not send any payments unless you have an email from me.