What are you toting today?

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Emisar D1 FC-40 R9050 5000K

20231120_064945.jpeg

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
Nice light. Just know that p60 won't last long on the two 3.0v rcrs
Thanks! But why is that? Isn't the voltage regulated to 3.0 volts like on the primaries? I know the bulb is supposed to be a 5 volt one and driven at 6 but why would the rechargeables have a different effect?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! But why is that? Isn't the voltage regulated to 3.0 volts like on the primaries? I know the bulb is supposed to be a 5 volt one and driven at 6 but why would the rechargeables have a different effect?
Because primaries don't put out 3v. On a p60's 1A load, they're 2.5v a cell. So your 5 volts. The regulated lithium ion will be 3v under load. So 6v total. So you're overdriving by about 20%. Which is quite a lot for an already hard driven bulb
I can't say for sure how bad it'll be, but another member here claimed about an hour of use before their brand new p60 popped

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
Keeppower 3v are 1000mah each

CR123 Primary are around 1600mah ea
Because primaries don't put out 3v. On a p60's 1A load, they're 2.5v a cell. So your 5 volts. The regulated lithium ion will be 3v under load. So 6v total. So you're overdriving by about 20%. Which is quite a lot for an already hard driven bulb
I can't say for sure how bad it'll be, but another member here claimed about an hour of use before their brand new p60 popped
I really didn't know that about primaries. Always thought that because they were lithium they had a pretty stable voltage maintaining. And I was wondering why it is so bright! But what reduction in lifetime are we talking here?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithiums don't really have a stable voltage on discharge. Lifepo4 does. But lithium ion gradually decreases as they drain. So do lithium primary cells. Here is a normal 16340
IMG_0130.png

Here is a graph for a primary. Look at the purple line. That's 1.0a. It also steadily falls

IMG_0131.png

As far as how long it'll last, it could pop at any time. There's not really a way to know

Both graphs were taken from www.lygte.com hosted by HJK

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really didn't know that about primaries. Always thought that because they were lithium they had a pretty stable voltage maintaining. And I was wondering why it is so bright! But what reduction in lifetime are we talking here?
Last time I tried it I got about 20 minutes on a pretty hard core use firefly hunt with my 7 year old haha.

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
Lithiums don't really have a stable voltage on discharge. Lifepo4 does. But lithium ion gradually decreases as they drain. So do lithium primary cells. Here is a normal 16340View attachment 52741
Here is a graph for a primary. Look at the purple line. That's 1.0a. It also steadily falls

View attachment 52742
As far as how long it'll last, it could pop at any time. There's not really a way to know

Both graphs were taken from www.lygte.com hosted by HJK
That's a shame. Is it better to underdrive it with a 16650 then? There's no way I am running primaries even though I am almost never keeping it on for more than a few minutes.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were only using it at a few minutes at a time set of primaries will last a while. Do you have a way to get them cheap I would just use those. That bulb is meant to run two primaries. On a single 16650, You will probably be at around 20 lumens, and it will be quite orange. P61 will be a little bit better though. That's a 4.4v bulb so will not be underdriven as much. My recommendation is this. http://kaidomain.com/3_7V-12W-or-15W-Xenon-Bulb-Drop-in-26_5mm.
It draws 1.8A on a single cell. Very white and bright. And lasts 10s of hours. For the price they're incredible

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
If you were only using it at a few minutes at a time set of primaries will last a while. Do you have a way to get them cheap I would just use those. That bulb is meant to run two primaries. On a single 16650, You will probably be at around 20 lumens, and it will be quite orange. P61 will be a little bit better though. That's a 4.4v bulb so will not be underdriven as much. My recommendation is this. http://kaidomain.com/3_7V-12W-or-15W-Xenon-Bulb-Drop-in-26_5mm.
It draws 1.8A on a single cell. Very white and bright. And lasts 10s of hours. For the price they're incredible
Thanks for the knowledge! I have a few other Surefires so it definitely is a very valuable piece of advice. Especially considering that these older flashlights are like classic cars which are no longer officially supported but you run anyway for that special experience.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened

I only got a few hours out of a new p60 that I used with two 3v rcr123's.