What batteries to use? + some random questions

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow flashaholics !

Im new here, my name is Andreas and i come from Sweden, im 21 years old. Im also very new to this "Flashlight Culture" hehe..
I have some questions about flashlights, and batteries.

-I just bought an UltraFire C8, and an Ultrafire H4 (headlamp).
*Ultrafire C8: I know i should use a 18650 battery, or i might buy the 2600mAh instead of this -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-2x-X...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item2a264d72d4 Is this a good battery, or is there better batteries than this?

*Ultrafire H4 (headlamp) I know this is a headlaml and there is a certain forum just for headlamp, but i thought its better to unclude it in this thread, so i dont have to make other thread just for this question..
- Im very unsure about which batterie to use in this flashlight. Which of these batteries should i use?? CR123,16340 or 17670 ?

*Batteries:
I a thread in this forum, where he explained Li-ion batteries. And he wrote something about Protected batteries. That if you Discharge them to much, its not safe to Charge them or Use them again. (Correct me if i'm wrong about this)
How will i know that i dont discharge them to much? I rather don buy expensive batteries, and then discharge them to much so i cant use them again..

I think i got everything i wanted to ask. Very well..

Im very sorry if you dont understand 100%, there will be alot of misspellings and such, but i hope you can understand anyway haha !

Thank you very much guys and girls ! :~)

Swede74

Enlightened
*Ultrafire C8: I know i should use a 18650 battery, or i might buy the 2600mAh instead of this -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-2x-X...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item2a264d72d4 Is this a good battery, or is there better batteries than this?

AW seems to be the most popular brand around here. Actually, I think they are Panasonic cells that a guy or company called "AW" has fitted with a protection circuit. If you don't think 179 kr (SEK) is too much, you might want to consider

AW
P18650 2600mAh

If you google "ficklampor + ridge" you will soon find your way to a Swedish retailer. You could also try "ficklampor + lajt"; they sell cheaper cells, Nitecore, Xtar and 4GREERS, but I don't know anything about the quality or reputation of those cells.

You probably already know that you will need a Li-ion charger for your new cells. I just thought I should mention it in case you don't already have one - it would be a pity if you order cells online and then have to wait a few extra days before you can charge them. :)

One more thing: a protection circuit will prevent over-discharge, but it's always a good idea to try not to drain the cell to the point where the protection kicks in - it's better to recharge it when you think it is about half-empty.

brandini

Newly Enlightened
Thank you norm ! :)

Yeah i've already read that thread. But i cant see that there says anything about how to NOT discharge them to much? or have i missed it? :/
A quality light will cutoff when the battery voltage is too low. Others will not and will cause damage. Best to check the manual of the light or email the manufacturer.

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
179 sek for 1 or for 2?

Okey, i will google that, thank you :)

Yes, that would be bad. I want to use the light when i get it.. :p I have looked at the Sysmax IntelliCharger i4 V2. Would this be a good choice, or is there better ones that charges the batteries faster? It very nice that the Intellicharger can take ALOT of different batteries, that is totally awesome..

Okey i see. If i run the Ultrafire C8 on a 2600mAh battery, how long will it run on full whitout recharging it? Its hard to say i know, but just so i know whereabouts.

Tack :D

AW seems to be the most popular brand around here. Actually, I think they are Panasonic cells that a guy or company called "AW" has fitted with a protection circuit. If you don't think 179 kr (SEK) is too much, you might want to consider

AW
P18650 2600mAh

If you google "ficklampor + ridge" you will soon find your way to a Swedish retailer. You could also try "ficklampor + lajt"; they sell cheaper cells, Nitecore, Xtar and 4GREERS, but I don't know anything about the quality or reputation of those cells.

You probably already know that you will need a Li-ion charger for your new cells. I just thought I should mention it in case you don't already have one - it would be a pity if you order cells online and then have to wait a few extra days before you can charge them. :)

One more thing: a protection circuit will prevent over-discharge, but it's always a good idea to try not to drain the cell to the point where the protection kicks in - it's better to recharge it when you think it is about half-empty.

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
Okey, so the ultrafire dont have that protection?
Qualtiy lights, you mean like, Thrunite,Fenix,Surefire(?)

Cr*p.. I just want a bright light, that has a fairly long runtime, 5hours or more. And that i dont have to worrie about damaging the light if i forget to recharge them for a while.

A quality light will cutoff when the battery voltage is too low. Others will not and will cause damage. Best to check the manual of the light or email the manufacturer.

Swede74

Enlightened
179 sek for 1 or for 2?

Okey, i will google that, thank you :)

Yes, that would be bad. I want to use the light when i get it.. :p I have looked at the Sysmax IntelliCharger i4 V2. Would this be a good choice, or is there better ones that charges the batteries faster? It very nice that the Intellicharger can take ALOT of different batteries, that is totally awesome..

Okey i see. If i run the Ultrafire C8 on a 2600mAh battery, how long will it run on full whitout recharging it? Its hard to say i know, but just so i know whereabouts.

Tack :D

179 SEK for one.

I've seen an ad claiming that the Ultrafire C8 puts out 1300 lumen on high, but a more realistic figure would be no more than 800-1000 (maybe 700-800 out the front) Some of the light emitted by the LED is absorbed (not sure if that is the correct term) by the lens and reflector, so OTF-lumens (out the front) is a more honest way to describe how bright a flashlight really is. Anyway, you asked how long it will run on a 2600 mAh cell. Probably no longer than 90 minutes, and if I were you I wouldn't run it for more than 60 minutes before recharging. It will likely get hot long before that, so keep an eye (or hand) on the temperature and turn it off for a while or drop to a lower level if it gets too hot.

You will get much longer runtimes on the lower levels, which are often bright enough for most tasks.

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
Yes, almost all UltraFire torches are marked well above its actual power.. "Kina Lumens" as my father said haha..

My dad's friend said he bought an headlamp with 1200lumens, or so he thought. But my dad's Led Lenser H14R was alot brighter lol, and the Led Lenser have around 300 Lumens..

Ok, then this C8 feels like an waste.. :(

179 SEK for one.

I've seen an ad claiming that the Ultrafire C8 puts out 1300 lumen on high, but a more realistic figure would be no more than 800-1000 (maybe 700-800 out the front) Some of the light emitted by the LED is absorbed (not sure if that is the correct term) by the lens and reflector, so OTF-lumens (out the front) is a more honest way to describe how bright a flashlight really is. Anyway, you asked how long it will run on a 2600 mAh cell. Probably no longer than 90 minutes, and if I were you I wouldn't run it for more than 60 minutes before recharging. It will likely get hot long before that, so keep an eye (or hand) on the temperature and turn it off for a while or drop to a lower level if it gets too hot.

You will get much longer runtimes on the lower levels, which are often bright enough for most tasks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yeah, actual output will depend on the drive current, LED bin, and losses from the reflector and glass flat, heating of the LED, etc.

I can see a well driven and well heatsinked (3A) XM-L U3 hitting over 1000 lumen at the emitter, and getting ~700-900 lumen out the front. I also tend to be conservative on my estimates.

brandini

Newly Enlightened
As for chargers, the ML-102 usb charger/power source is quite fantastic.

I have a li-ion hobby charger and am making a charging cradle for it, but the ML-102 is just so EASY. That and I give one to my girlfriend with a battery in it and she can keep her iphone going instead of getting lost when driving around town.

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
I actually was going to buy an XinTD C8, and i think iam going to buy it in the near future.
How is the XinTD if you compare it to the Ultrafire C8? :)

Cuz they look the same to me?
Depends on driver. XinTD C8's, for example, put out 800-900 lm (ones with U3 bin XM-L's in them).

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
I bought the IntelliCharger i2. Was that a mistake? :(

As for chargers, the ML-102 usb charger/power source is quite fantastic.

I have a li-ion hobby charger and am making a charging cradle for it, but the ML-102 is just so EASY. That and I give one to my girlfriend with a battery in it and she can keep her iphone going instead of getting lost when driving around town.

Shadowww

Banned
I actually was going to buy an XinTD C8, and i think iam going to buy it in the near future.
How is the XinTD if you compare it to the Ultrafire C8? :)
It has much better machining quality (smoother threads, properly greased, better anodizing), better driver (8x AMC7135 based, with proper stabilization until batteries can't keep up anymore).
Was a no-brainer choice for me, XinTD is really a great light.

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
Thank for your replys guys :D

I have one question. Im very very very interested in a Sky Ray King, with 4 batteries Panasonic 3100mAh Protected Batteries, from Cnqualitygoods.
But i have a question about the charging process. Can i charge the 2 batteries at a time, and then when all batteries are charged, i put them in the Skyray King?
Or must i charge all 4 batteries at the same time?

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Thank for your replys guys :D

I have one question. Im very very very interested in a Sky Ray King, with 4 batteries Panasonic 3100mAh Protected Batteries, from Cnqualitygoods.
But i have a question about the charging process. Can i charge the 2 batteries at a time, and then when all batteries are charged, i put them in the Skyray King?
Or must i charge all 4 batteries at the same time?
you can charge two and two but better check voltages after charging to make sure you have the same voltage in all of them.dont know how much difference is allowed but its important to have the same voltages.my i2 charges to 4.2 volts everytime :)

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
you can charge two and two but better check voltages after charging to make sure you have the same voltage in all of them.dont know how much difference is allowed but its important to have the same voltages.my i2 charges to 4.2 volts everytime :)

Thats it, im ordering it ! :)

EDIT; I didnt order it, im very "Apart" about this torch. I would LOVE to own one. But it seems like there is ALOT of Mimic's of Sky Ray King.
I want to order one really bad, but as i said im very apart. Some thinks it sucks, some thinks it owns.
Ive read ALOT of reviews etc of Sky Ray King, but im still very thoughtful..

Last edited: